Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Miscellaneous how-to computer posts and threads (nt)

January 26 2011 at 8:58 PM
  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

nt

AuthorReply

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Info about pictures

January 26 2011, 8:59 PM 

Albums are nice
January 8 2011, 3:13 PM

I have a few. I took a photography class for accident investigators last year. The instructor talked about various forms of media and storage, probably half of which I've forgot. What I do remember - files stored as jpeg or jpg suffer 'generation' loss every time the file is opened then saved. They will reduce in size over time. I thought it odd that some files I had on one computer, copied to a CD, mailed to mom, copied to a CD, mailed back to me, and uploaded onto my computer on a new HD were now the size of thumbnails versus a full size photo... Now I kind of understand.

So a better format to save pictures in is tiff or raw, but raw is huge and not used much. I do save some of mine in tiff now, or png. tiff is lossless, but not compressible. png is compressible and lossless. This is from one site on the subject - A more important use of TIFF is as the working storage format as you edit and manipulate digital images. You do not want to go through several load, edit, save cycles with JPG storage, as the degradation accumulates with each new save. One or two JPG saves at high quality may not be noticeable, but the tenth certainly will be. TIFF is lossless, so there is no degradation associated with saving a TIFF file.

The class instructor also said the best way to save images for the future - print them out and put them in an album. You can run prints from Snapfish at CVS quite inexpensively. Pick the best and put them in the album. I prefer to show people an album anyway, over showing them pictures on the computer.

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Change printer defaults to save $ on printer ink

January 26 2011, 9:01 PM 

January 26 2011 at 8:11 PM

StaceyK walked me through changing the defaults on my printer so that I'm only using black ink and fast draft, unless I tell it otherwise. Since this works for me 85% of the time, but I only remember to change to this about 15% of the time, changing the defaults was a good idea for me. If you would like to do the same, here is how for Windows 7:

From the Start Menu, click on Control Panel
Click on Devices & Printers
Click on Printers & Faxes
Click on your installed printer
Click on Customize Your Printer > Properties dialog box appears
Click Preferences button
From the Paper/Quality tab, go to Print Quality and select Fast Draft from pulldown menu. Click OK.
From the Color tab, click on Black Ink Cartridge Only. You may have to click on Print Grayscale first. Click OK.
Properties box will reappear. Click OK.

If you have Vista or XP, some things may be a little different, but should be similar enough to figure it out.

(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Information about Mi-Fi (portable wi-fi)

July 7 2011, 12:45 PM 

I contracted for mi-fi service with Verizon. The Samsung unit was free with a two-year contract. It will work wherever there is Verizon cellular service.

Contracts are available for $50 month for 5 gbs and $80 for unlimited service. Extensive gaming, streaming, etc., will probably require an $80 contract. There are several different ways to keep track of your usage. You can add a gig for $10 each, if necessary, up to $80 total.

The mi-fi unit is wireless, smaller than a cell phone, and completely portable. We are regularly using it at two houses by taking it back and forth. We were paying $35 + $7 for DSL and Verizon Security Suite at one location, so $50 was a good deal for two.

It is possible to use more than one computer at the same time. The mi-fi unit acts as a router. Each computer must be within about 30 ft. of the unit in order to get the connection.

Mi-fi installs without a disk. All laptops are wi-fi (and therefore mi-fi) compatible, but most desktops are not. If you have a desktop, you will need a wi-fi adapter, available at electronics stores for about $35. The adapter looks like a thumb drive and plugs into any USB port. My Netgear adapter came with a disk and simple set-up instructions.

The mi-fi unit is cordless and comes with a charging unit. It can be used when the unit is plugged in and charging. However, doing this often will shorten the life of the battery. In order to save the charge, I normally turn off mi-fi when I am not actively using the internet, although I might leave my computer on.

If you have trouble connecting to the interest, go to the tray at the bottom of the page on the right side of the computer screen. The icon that looks like the 5 bars associated with cellular service is the internet access center. If there is a yellow triangle with exclamation point (!) within the icon, you are not connected. Click on this icon if you need to know which wireless connections are available. You will be using Verizon SCH-LCH6437. You may have to first close out the Native Wifi Default Profile (click on it, then disconnect) before clicking on the SCH connection. If you have problems changing wireless connections, try shutting down and rebooting your computer.

For Verizon technical support, call (800) 922-0204 and follow the voice prompts.

This article was written by Maxine with information from posts by KarenPA and Missy, and from my own experiences with technical support.

Current Topic - Miscellaneous how-to computer posts and threads (nt)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum