Return to Index  

FINALLY..........shop up and running..........

October 2 2010 at 9:44 PM

(Login kiddmen57)
YFOT

........mostly.

About 2 or three years ago I purchased a mill, lathe, and surface grinder along with a copious amount of tooling. An acquaintance had operated many machine shops throughout his life, and had rid himself of everything but a few units. It took about a year to convince him to sell the lot. It was time to bring the machines home.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/519893/message/1210051331/New+%28old%29+equipment+coming+home-

After getting them all set up at the house, the next step was getting a rotary converter. This took a few months, and when it arrived it was time to wire. Or so I thought. As things typically go, it was put off, and put off. Then, a little over a year ago, i moved into a new house (with a larger garage of course). So put off the wiring a little more while we settle in.
I ran into a quite interesting problem. Even though I had more room, I seemed to have less space. Granted I now had 2 cars in the garage rather than one, and all of my crap. There was also the door that leads outside. This meant I did not have a perfect spot for my air compressor. So I looked into getting a new one to go outside. Unfortunately there are neighbors on either side of me. So i researched and found out CP sells 5hp rotary compressors for reasonable money (quite a lot actually). I began saving for one. About 3 months ago I see a CL ad for one here in Tucson. I couldn't believe it. It was listed along with a CNC mill and in bold test it read "I will NOT sell the compressor until I sell the CNC". I emailed anyways and said I'd be interested when the CNC was gone...long shot. Well, 2 months went by and no word. I thought it was a goner. Then out of the blue I get a very brief email "the mill is gone, you still want the compressor?"
Of COURSE I DO! The guy had bought it to run the CNC, and it had all of 19 hours on it....and the price was way more than fair. Brought it back and set it on the side of the house.
Now I was thinking to myself, how long will this now sit without being used. Not gonna happen this time. So today, with the help of a friend, I made it happen. The compressor is wired in and running quietly happy.gif and the 3phase is a flowing. I have discovered a broken part on the mill as related to quill feed, and the motor on my lathe will not reverse. But for now, everything is powered and mostly usable.
Still need to repair machines and plum the air system.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Uniqueness is my weakness
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Respond to this message   
Responses