Return to Index  

Upgrading Gamo FT Targets

April 26 2012 at 1:04 AM
  (Login Boomer_Mikey)
YF

Like most FT shooters I got some of the Gamo knock-down targets to practice FT with but I wasn't satisfied with the reducer method Gamo uses so I decided to add my own reducers.

[linked image]

My reducers are 1/4" thick steel attached to the faceplates with #8-32 socket head cap screws. I looked around my scrap pile to find a rusty 2" diameter bar of unknown alloy so I put my cut-off bandsaw to work making 35 1/4" slices.

[linked image]

[linked image]
I cleaned up the rust with a wire wheel.

[linked image]
beveled the edges on the belt sander.
[linked image]

[linked image]
I made a jig to locate my desired hole locations on the reducer plates and target faceplates. See the dimple inside the hole? I'm using a transfer punch to mark the reducers with drilling locations; just a light tap is used to mark the locations.
[linked image]
These tiny dimples are where I want to drill.

[linked image]
Using a center drill to start the hole; notice the chamfer I left for the drill and tap operations.
[linked image]
Drilling the hole for an 8-32 tap with a number 30 drill... I like more than 75% threads in my work.

[linked image]
Tapping holes with a battery powered driver drill and a spiral point tap (also known as a gun tap as the chips are pushed out in front of the tap.) This particular tap has threaded hundreds of holes this way. Notice the thread cutting fluid necessary for tap life and quality holes (Tap Magic Gold.) I use the clutch in my driver drill to avoid breaking the tap if it gets jammed.
[linked image]

[linked image]
Several blanks in various stages... a couple of them done with a 1" hole.

[linked image]
I use magnets to hold the blanks flush with the front of the lathe chuck while I tighten the jaws. Disks mounted this way run true.

[linked image]
After center drilling the blank in the lathe I drill the blanks for holes up to 3/4" using a step-drill method of no more than a 1/8" step at a time.
[linked image]
For holes larger than 3/4" I step-drill to 3/4" and bore the hole 0.050" larger per pass with this boring bar.
[linked image]
This one is at 1.375"... lots of chips.
[linked image]
This one is at 1.5", the largest size I use.

[linked image]
Using my jig and transfer punch to mark hole locations on a faceplate.
[linked image]
Faceplate with holes drilled for 8-32 socket head cap screws.
[linked image]
Faceplates with reducers test fitted.

[linked image]
Target with faceplate mounted... 7/16" kill zone.

[linked image]
This target had a bad trigger sear when it was made so I welded a 1/4-20 nut to the bottom and turned a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw down making the sear adjustable.

I love working out in the Boomer Technologies Laboratory (my workshop.)

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

Respond to this message   
Responses