Return to Index  

Just returned from a trip to Grizzly and I looked at a 8x18 South Bend lathe like this....

May 3 2012 at 8:11 PM

Ed Canoles  (Login nced1)
YF

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8K-8-x-18-Lathe/SB1001
and I was so impressed with this benchtop lathe! The only lathes I'm familiar with are the small Harbor Freight "kit lathe" that I origionally bought and the Lathemaster lathe that I've been using for the last several years. I've been really pleased with my Lathemaster compared to the "kit lathe", however fiddling with the South Bend lathe at Grizzly really spoiled me! The dials were so precise compared to the Lathemaster and they didn't seem to have the backlash issues that I'm currently dealing with!

The specs are a bit puzzling though since they claim a MT3 spindle taper, but they also spec a 1 1/8" spindle bore. Personally I dont see how a MT3 could fit in a 1 1/8" bore. I did look at the spindle bore and it is indeed larger than the 3/4" bore of my Lathemaster so I'm "suspecting" that the spindle taper is a MT4.

Anywhoo.......I was really impressed with the small South Bend and I wish I had the $3400 to buy it!

Respond to this message   
Responses