Return to Index  

I recently took delivery on a smaller Grizzly milling machine and........

July 20 2012 at 12:01 PM

Ed Canoles  (Login nced1)
YF

just got around to using it for cutting cocking shoe slots and milling button recesses in a "made from scratch" HW55 replacement piston for a fellow "down under". I did reuse the factory latch rod so a Vortek piston seal and button or a factory leather seal could be fitted if desired.

I'm really liking this mill/drill......http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704 and it works so much better than the old round column Harbor Freight mill/drill with the MT2 spindle that I've used for years! LOL....I never realized how handy a digital readout, dovetail column, R8 spindle etc could be! Here are a couple pics.........

Here I'm milling the pockets for the HW55 piston buttons.......
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Here are a couple pics of the original piston.....

Here are a couple pics of new piston prior to buttoning under the original piston.......

A couple of the design changes I made were adjusting the aluminum end cap thickness to accommodate a steel washer next to the spring end. As you can see from the original piston pics, the aluminum end cap was really "banged up" by the cocking foot so I'm hoping that the steel faced aluminum will fare better. Also, instead of threading the end cap into the piston body I used a press fit and then retained the cap with a thread locked screw threaded through the piston body shell, through the latch rod and into the aluminum end cap past the latch rod. The aluminum I used was 6061 T6 so I'm thinking that it should hold together just fine.

Respond to this message   
Responses