North Penn Hernia Institute Title Bar
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE WEB PAGE
Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Can inguinal hernia effect bowel movement/digestion?

January 10 2008 at 8:07 AM
Anonymous 
from IP address 74.243.83.219

I hate to mention this, but my BM's have changed recently, in a way that doesn't seem quite right. Also feeling a slight twinge in left groin near hip bone. My understanding it that this area is where the colon makes a downward turn. Wondering if this is related to the hernia.

My dad died as a result of cancerous colon tumor in same area.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jerry

Response to inguinal hernia effecting bowel movement

January 10 2008, 11:42 PM 

I had changes in my bowel movements along with an inguinal hernia (the stools were always smaller pieces) so I got a colonoscopy and a large polyp was found and removed (noncancerous). Your family history is another reason you should get a colonoscopy. Although I am not an expert, I would imagine that if part of the intestine gets crimped due to a hernia it could effect the passage of the stools in some way.

Respond to this message   
Dr. Goodyear

Re: Can inguinal hernia effect bowel movement/digestion?

January 11 2008, 8:54 AM 

Large left inguinal hernias can cause bowel irregularities, secondary to the involvement of intestine [e.g., colon] within the hernia bulge itself. However, and quite importantly, this is far less common with small hernias and hernias without an obvious bulge, and other causes of such problems must always be excluded and not simply ascribed possibly to a hernia.

With your family history, it is imperative for you to have this evaluated beyond just a hernia evaluation, and a Colonoscopy ASAP would be my recommendation. CAll you family physician TODAY !

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

January 11 2008, 12:25 PM 

I appreciate the responses and they are what I anticipated. Called re. the colonoscopy and they say I'm required to have someone with me, no exceptions. Having no support system my only option is to hire a nurse or health care aid. How do loner, social outcasts get health care or do we just fade away? Hiring a nurse for a day is so pathetic that I can't imagine even calling an agency or telling anyone.

Respond to this message   
SJO

January 11 2008, 8:27 PM 

They do exactly what you said. They hire a health care aide or nurse for a day. A LOT of people do this! I have a co-worker, a lady in her 60's, who does this. She has a brother in Florida and a brother in China (we're in Ohio). They are her only family, and she's too private and self-conscious to ask any of us who work with her for assistance, although any one of half a dozen of us would help her. Just one time she asked me to drive her home from a dental appointment when she'd had teeth extracted and wasn't supposed to drive herself and the dentist refused to let her take a taxi. Otherwise, she' hires a health aide. Don't be embarrassed. Take care of yourself!

Respond to this message   
Jerry

Response to inguinal hernia effecting bowel movement

January 11 2008, 9:10 PM 

I may be able to help you. I live in South Jersey about 20 mins from Phila and if you live within a 30 mile radius I can take you to your colonoscopy appointment and wait with you and take you home. I offer this because I promised God that if my huge polyp turned out to be benign I would be a better person and help others - so you would help me fulfill my promise. Let me know if I can help.
Jerry

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Response to inguinal hernia effecting bowel movement

January 12 2008, 8:28 AM 

Thank you very much for all the comments and the generous offer of transportation. I'm far from NJ so couldn't take you up of the offer of a ride, but would not impose on a stranger in any case. I've created this situation by living a solitary, mostly unproductive life. I'll have to be the one to come up with a solution if there is one. Remember those kids in school that you thought would never amount to anything? I'm what happens when they get older.

Respond to this message   
Perry

May also be

January 23 2008, 1:09 PM 

The twinge on your left side could also indicate diverticulitis. You should see a doctor, have an examination and discuss your options for the colonoscopy. Obviously you should have a colonoscopy, but there's also things you can do in the meantime.

Respond to this message   
Michael

Inguinal Hernia and Bed Rest

December 20 2013, 6:24 PM 

Dr: I have had an Inguinal hernia since late October. Only in past month has it grown to wear it is now impacting scrotum area. I mu8st wait til New Yearto qualify for any Health Insurance; partially disabled since '92' If I spend the next week or so lying down, with my feet a liitle above my head, will this buy me thev time I need? No cure...just less risk of getting worse?

Respond to this message   
James A. Goodyear, MD, FACS

Re: Inguinal Hernia and Bed Rest

December 23 2013, 11:47 AM 

Specific recommendations cannot be given without an examination. In general however, significant reduction of any strenuous or agressive physical activity (e.g., with recumbancy) will slow the progression of hernia symtpoms in most but not all patients, and may also relieve dicomfort in uncomplicated (non-incarcerated/non-strangulated) inguinal hernias. If increasing pain, nausea or vomiting develop/persist despite rest however, urgent or emergent surgical repair (sooner rather than later) must be advised, and further delay avoided.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page