NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE WEB PAGE
Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Allergies to surgical mesh

February 7 2012 at 8:43 PM

from IP address 68.37.214.74

I wanted to open up a new thread and this one will appear right above one in which a woman asked about itchiness possibly being a result of an allergy to surgical mesh. I did a search and there have been quite a number of questions raised about this issue over the years in this forum alone. Questions were frequently centered around itchiness, rash, and other allergic symptoms - even one wondering if there was a connection between mesh allergy and the development of chronic fatigue syndrome.
I am very interested in this topic because as I reflect back on my hernia surgery in 1998 (Bard Perfix mesh) it was right about that time that I developed a brutal case of chronic sinusitis. I was treated by an allergist but never got much relief no matter what I tried and it has certainly contributed to my struggles with a severe case of chronic obstructive sleep apnea. I am going to return to the allergist and see what my medical record shows about when I reported the start of these symptoms to see if there was a temporal relationship.

I write this in hopes that others who have similar suspicions about possible allergies to mesh can share their experience in this thread, the type of mesh and their symptoms. What starts out as anecdotal suspicions can possibly lead to a codification of these issues so that the mesh manufacturers can be made more aware of it. The mesh may not be as inert as we are often led to believe. As one mesh researcher put it:
"Basically, surgical meshes are regarded as physically and chemically inert and stable, non immunogenic and non toxic. However, all these materials are not biologically inert."
What would be tough to factor out are how many cases of bad reactions are more related to infection, medications, and creams related to the surgery.

Anyway, this is some food for thought. Feel free to chime in if you have anything to contribute on this topic.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lin

Re: Allergies to Mesh

February 8 2012, 1:44 PM 

Hi Jerry. This is a very interesting Topic. I went back to my first Ventral Hernia Surgery records, done in 2003. Then to my 2010 records. In my first surgery, nothing was ever reported as having diastasis recti. Was during second pregnancy. Was not allowed to work. This back in 1987. Was adviced not to have any more children afterward. Yet in the post Op report the surgeon was going to use mesh. Even in the OP report the plans were still to use it. This I quess was changed during the open surgery.( Large Ventral Hernia all the way from mid epigastrium to umbilical area). In his op report the omentum was protruding through the defect which was partially resected and rest was reduced at the intra-abdominal cavity. Then closed with Mayo technique. using Ethibond sutures and staples on outer skin closer. On recovery of this surgery The after pain was about a month long. I remember a lot of itching redness kind of burning around the surgery area. on the recovery first visit the surgeon sucked fluid out of the umbililical area like how an amniocentesis is done. He done this 4 times. Pulling dry blood and fluid. second visit half of the staples removed. Yet on the lower half,was not healing properly. Butterfly tapes were used to pull this area closed. Yet as far as alleries if one has a penicillin allergies at birth, other allergies can follow suit. But from my two C-Sections I was found to have Latex Allergies, from both latex gloves and from catheters. The catheters were not changed in any of the pass surgeries. causing bladder unrinary tack infection. Also the type of Betadine wash used on the surgery site can be an allergy to a person. So in between the 7 years from the open stitch surgery and the Lap surgery of 2010. My health changed alot edema fluid retention, (low thyroid, lose of hair cold chills all the time, which kicks my asthma in with shortness of breath. I also notice a patteren of sleep apnea, weight incease if not kept in check with thyroid meds.. This is something that you might want to research The omentum, resection, and the role of the Omentum). PDF The Omentum Resection I have a site for you to check out. Back in (128-199AD) Galen the role of the omentum was a belief to keep the intestine warm. This was a part of a basis of a Gadiotor who had an omental resection after a stab injury and suffered greatly from cold for the rest of his life. Yet on years of research the omentum important role is in the immune defence within the peritoneal cavity). Other medical problems UI prolapse bladder problems, will not have repair with mesh. use of meds Vesicare. So any way in my 2010 Lap surgery 3 trocars were placed. adhesions of the omentum to the midline were removed, then a periumbilical hernia and rectus diastasis, repaired with 4x6 proceed mesh 6 stab incisions were made to the abdominal wall with 1 more trocar which was also made to the right side. 31 titanum tacks were used, a CT Scan later showed these . I had less pain during recovery. Yet today after going to family doctor yesterday I am on 6 meds, with increase of Thyroid meds. I also find that with the trocar ports or opening I have a couple of them pulling open. On keeping in contact with older brother and sisters we all have alot of the same medical problems relation of genes and tissue problems. we are all in our 50's now. Mostly related to my dads side of family. Our family med tree. With some problems runs with Uncle aunts and great relatives. Hope this will help in your research .

Respond to this message   
Lin

Re: Allergies to Mesh

February 8 2012, 1:58 PM 

Jerry I forgot to include the site on the resected omentum. www.wjgnet.co/1007-9327/6/169.pdf

Respond to this message   

mesh allergies

October 13 2012, 7:04 PM 

Hello Jerry , so glad to see somebody actually looking at the problem of allergic response to synthetic medical mesh !!!Although I'm not a hernia victim I was the unfortunate recipient of transvaginal mesh in 2008,..within a month, I was anemic, my season asthma occurrences became year round instead of seasonal, inhaler usage increased, meds were upped and added to with predisone for back up,one month after the mesh implantation, a surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon became dangerously infected... 2 months of antibiotics , intravenous and oral before the infection subsided, healing of the tendon was compromised, swelling persisted for 1 year, a simple cold turned to pneumonia, first time ever, with a bladder infection.....still no suspicion of Foreign Body Response or compromised immune system, two sebaceous cysts removed form back, both infected right away,aching stiff joints.. aching muscles with very sensitive spots near joints ..continued anemia, blood pressure increased, higher blood sugar levels, increased depression, meds upped again, feeling fatigued, falling asleep midday, restless legs at night, then 2011 intense rectal pain in the middle of night awoke from deep sleep, vaginal irritation, painful intercourse, vaginal erosion, bladder and urethra pain, but no bladder infection, blue fibres in excess estrogen cream in underwear, blue fibres causing extreme itching and burning, blue fibres filtered out of urine...doctors finally suspect mesh degradation after 8 months of constant intense pain, sitting unbearable standing painful, laying down not moving only way to not increase pain, felt like a saw cutting into me.....suicidal depression spurred doctors to take pain seriously , plus the blue pieces taped to paper!!! doc was thinking just pudendal neuralgia!!! I'm thinking mesh is cutting into my bladder and urethra..get it out!!!! finally mesh removal Dec 2011, asthma symptoms decrease, inhaler use decreases,cold symptoms that started in Nov. last to March., pain is not the burning type of inflammation....it is now 10 months post mesh removal,...I suspect fibromyalgia, onset of diabetes,still have high blood pressure but lower than when mesh was still in me......suspect small pieces of mesh still inside as activity with pelvic pressure or jarring start inflammation, not just the nerve pain from the pudendal nerve..............surgeon says I was one of the rare people allergic to polypropylene mesh and I should avoid it in the future...well duh ? as if I would ever let anybody put that crap into me again!!!my message to you..keep digging for the truth....keep advocating for patch tests if mesh is going to be the only thing that will fix a hernia or whatever........all mesh recipients are having the same problems and it does not mean doctor error in placement or procedure for the most part... been researching till my *** is numb, and my conclusion is it means the exaggerated and persistent foreign body response does not let the surgical wound heal,the chemically sensitive patients' over-reactive body oxidation process starts degrading mesh to get rid of it..destabilizing it allowing for chemical and mechanical irritation to have pieces of mesh break off and migrate.........compounding the whole bloody ordeal!!! the scary part is not over!! I have joined many mesh victim support groups to compare symptoms, injuries and results after mesh explantation...what is scary is how many are being diagnosed with autoimmune disease after mesh implantation, that does not resolve itself or go away after the mesh is explanted......my ordeal is not over,nor will it be for many men and women alike.........too many studies focused on was the surgery successful without looking at the whole body impact , forgetting that it doesn't matter if your hernia is fixed but your quality of life is so impaired you can barely get out of bed.....you don't leak but you can't stand ,walk, have sex or work....... thanks for allowing me to give you this patient's view....patch test should be mandatory, so what if it is difficult to remove form your arm? much easier than removing pieces of degraded mesh from organs.....

Respond to this message   

Mesh allergies

October 13 2012, 11:09 PM 

Hi Nonie,
Wow - you have really been through the ringer! I am so sorry to hear about all the torment and suffering that you have endured as a result of the mesh. No one should have to go through that! I have long been an opponent of mesh for pelvic prolapse/stress urinary incontinence and less so for hernias but it is amazing how many people suffer because medical science can't come up with a better technology. Over 40 years ago we could send a space mission to the moon and back home in the year 2012 we still can't develop anything better than a damn mosquito net! One woman in a forum (it may have been this one) wrote about she asked her surgeon to show her what the actual mesh sling looked like and as it was being handled it was degrading with pieces falling off! But while it is easy to prove that certain mesh products fail, shrink, erode, and cause a variety of other readily observable problems, it is a lot more difficult to show that it is indeed causing allergic reactions in people, autoimmune disorders, and a variety of other conditions - and that is why it would be great to have a clearinghouse (like some medications do) where people can report these things and they begin to get analyzed, tabulated, and reported to the proper authorities to take action in warning patients, taking certain products off the market, convincing big pharma that it needs to step up and do better than to keep on trying improve polypropylene when it just might be not ever deliver what it needs to.
Let's keep the lines of communication open and challenge the medical research community to do better! Best of luck to you.

Respond to this message   

mesh allergies

October 13 2012, 7:07 PM 

Hello Jerry , so glad to see somebody actually looking at the problem of allergic response to synthetic medical mesh !!!Although I'm not a hernia victim I was the unfortunate recipient of transvaginal mesh in 2008,..within a month, I was anemic, my season asthma occurrences became year round instead of seasonal, inhaler usage increased, meds were upped and added to with predisone for back up,one month after the mesh implantation, a surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon became dangerously infected... 2 months of antibiotics , intravenous and oral before the infection subsided, healing of the tendon was compromised, swelling persisted for 1 year, a simple cold turned to pneumonia, first time ever, with a bladder infection.....still no suspicion of Foreign Body Response or compromised immune system, two sebaceous cysts removed form back, both infected right away,aching stiff joints.. aching muscles with very sensitive spots near joints ..continued anemia, blood pressure increased, higher blood sugar levels, increased depression, meds upped again, feeling fatigued, falling asleep midday, restless legs at night, then 2011 intense rectal pain in the middle of night awoke from deep sleep, vaginal irritation, painful intercourse, vaginal erosion, bladder and urethra pain, but no bladder infection, blue fibres in excess estrogen cream in underwear, blue fibres causing extreme itching and burning, blue fibres filtered out of urine...doctors finally suspect mesh degradation after 8 months of constant intense pain, sitting unbearable standing painful, laying down not moving only way to not increase pain, felt like a saw cutting into me.....suicidal depression spurred doctors to take pain seriously , plus the blue pieces taped to paper!!! doc was thinking just pudendal neuralgia!!! I'm thinking mesh is cutting into my bladder and urethra..get it
out!!!! finally mesh removal Dec 2011, asthma symptoms decrease, inhaler use decreases,cold symptoms that started in Nov. last to March., pain is not the burning type of inflammation....it is now 10 months post mesh removal,...I suspect fibromyalgia, onset of diabetes,still have high blood pressure but lower than when mesh was still in me......suspect small pieces of mesh still inside as activity with pelvic pressure or jarring start inflammation, not just the nerve pain from the pudendal nerve..............surgeon says I was one of the rare people allergic to polypropylene mesh and I should avoid it in the future...well duh ? as if I would ever let anybody put that crap into me again!!!my message to you..keep digging for the truth....keep advocating for patch tests if mesh is going to be the only thing that will fix a hernia or whatever........all mesh recipients are having the same problems and it does not mean doctor error in placement or procedure for the most part... been researching till my *** is numb, and my conclusion is it means the exaggerated and persistent foreign body response does not let the surgical wound heal,the chemically sensitive patients' over-reactive body oxidation process starts degrading mesh to get rid of it..destabilizing it allowing for chemical and mechanical irritation to have pieces of mesh break off and migrate.........compounding the whole bloody ordeal!!! the scary part is not over!! I have joined many mesh victim support groups to compare symptoms, injuries and results after mesh explantation...what is scary is how many are being diagnosed with autoimmune disease after mesh implantation, that does not resolve itself or go away after the mesh is explanted......my ordeal is not over,nor will it be for many men and women alike.........too many studies focused on was the surgery successful without looking at the whole body impact , forgetting that it doesn't matter if your hernia is fixed but your quality of life is so impaired you can barely get out of bed.....you don't leak but you can't stand ,walk, have sex or work....... thanks for allowing me to give you this patient's view....patch test should be mandatory, so what if it is difficult to remove form your arm? much easier than removing pieces of degraded mesh from organs.....

Respond to this message   

mesh allergy

April 2 2012, 4:28 PM 

I have long suspected that a skin reaction (amongst other symptoms)is from the mesh I had put in for a dual inguinal repair in 2002. A year later I noticed a small rash starting on my toe. Nothing OTC would make it go away until I tried a tar cream for psoriasis. I don't have psioriasis - just to point it out - i've had a few slacker docs try to tell me this to blow it off(it's a condition your born with - had op at the age of 28). The good docs I saw didn't know what to make of it but didn't sound like anything they've heard of before. Eventually the rash spread up both my legs up to me knees. The only steriodal cream that's helped is Betamethasone Dipropionate. I've had diff docs try diff creams and nothing else gets rid of the rash. And no Docs want to speculate on whats causing the rash. Since I still have the implants the rash is gonna stay. Currently exploring surgeons to redo the inguinals - should have done by the summer.

Respond to this message   

Bruce

April 3 2012, 5:00 PM 

Bruce,My case;

I had a R inguinal repair in 2010 and within a few weeks started feeling progressively sick. Not knowing the cause I started going to different doc's without much help. Symptoms were swelling-soreness in the groin area which got worse with exercise, sickness, and muscle spasms in the area. I have a bad R hip so I was passing the symptoms off to that. Sickness got so bad I went to an ER and they found my gallbladder was only working at 30% so I had the organ removed. Within 6 weeks the sickness returned, was not the GB. Finally found a doc (2012) who recommended I return to the providing surgeon for a checkup to see if the hernia repair was the cause. Yesterday the surgeon said an infection to the hernia repair was not apparent. When I asked about removing the mesh he said that it could be done but there is a risk of losing a testicle.

During your search for a doc to remove your mesh, maybe we could share info. Could be helpful for all involved.

Be mindful, I didn't find this MB until today.

Howard,,

Respond to this message   
Howard

Jerry

April 5 2012, 11:54 PM 

A question;

Have you ever considered having your mesh removed, if no why not?

Also, are you aware of anyone else who has had mesh removed from a hernia repair, and if so, did the removal cure their system problems?

tia,

Respond to this message   

Allergies to surgical mesh

April 6 2012, 11:22 AM 

Hi Howard,
Well, the short answer to your question is that I would rather live with chronic sinus congestion and some pain on my right side from time to time than have surgery and face the possibility of even more pain, complications, or other form of damage.

My surgery was 14 years ago and the longer one waits to have mesh removed the more ingrown it becomes, the denser the scar tissue around it, and the harder it is to remove. And in my case I have Perfix Plug and Patch (both mesh devices were "large" according to my surgical report). It is not an easy operation to endure by any means. I will turn 62 in May and I am kind of resolved to living the rest my life this way.

While I have seen some people experience great pain relief after mesh removal I am not aware of any whose allergic symptoms have disappeared. That it not to say it doesn't happen but just that I have never heard of it

If you do have your mesh removed I wish you luck with it. I hope you chose a surgeon who is well experienced in this and is willing take on tough cases and see you through it.

Respond to this message   
Howard

Hi Jerry- Pathology

April 6 2012, 4:24 PM 

More info;

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/prweb/TE4DF83JKBNACOFNO/p268

You asked for more input, there a 100,s in this blog.
I am in touch with Patty-Or, not good!!

More questions;;

Is there a mesh material absorption path that a pathologist can find?

Has anyone called the FDA about this problem, they do have a problem call-number?.

Can you recommend a doc who does the mesh removal, in Mi if possible?

I just started looking online for info yesterday, there appears to hundreds.

Appears you started this tread and are in the best position to setup a info collection web site and to communicate the info to the FDA. Can you start this process or can you recommend someone who can? I'm not a computer whiz or I would.

This whole problem rattles my brain. WHY WHY WHY

TIA,,

Respond to this message   
Howard

Hi again jerry

April 11 2012, 12:03 PM 

I just posted this message on Topix;

Topix;;;
Be mindful, just because the mesh used in your hernia repair has not been recalled, does not mean your immune system will accept it. I have allergic reactions to several med's that are fully approved by the FDA. I have been talking to a Bio-Chem Doc about this mesh problem. In his opinion the protocol for transplanting foreign material into a patient is the problem. Every patient should be tested for an allergic reaction to the implant material before the procedure, and even after the procedure, because the body's immune system could develop a rejection to the material after the procedure. The allergy test is fairly inexpensive, but requires a sterile specimen of the implanted material.

My concern is that the manufacturer's of the implant material knew, or should have known that there are always "SOME" people who will not tolerate a specific drug or implant material. So the procedure protocol should be to test every patient, before and after the procedure.

And where to hello is the FDA????

And, the mesh used in my procedure was Ethicon--Proceed Mesh.

And do you know of any patients with this mesh problem who have tried immune suppression drugs, and if so do you know their outcome?

Your thoughts.

tia,

Respond to this message   

Allergies

April 11 2012, 7:10 PM 

Hi Howard,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I haven't visited this forum in several days. I have often thought about the very thing you wrote about as far as pre-surgical testing to determine if someone will develop an allergic reaction to the mesh that the surgeon intends to use. If people have to go for pre-operative tests anyway, this should be a routine part of that procedure. It might just involve scratching them with a tiny fiber or perhaps inserting a tiny fragment under the skin to test for reaction. Because once it is implanted it is a sonofabitch to take out.

I would be happy to serve a clearinghouse for people to report allergies to mesh. People who read this forum can contact me via e-mail and feel free to use my e-mail address in the Topix forum (and Hernia MD for his forum if he would like his bloggers to participate). My e-mail address is JSteinPsy@aol.com
I would think that, as a minimum, we would need need the following data:
Type of hernia surgery and whether open or lap, date of surgery, type of mesh used (lot number of mesh and date if known), specific allergic symptoms (along with severity and duration), whether symptoms were abated if mesh was removed, perhaps an indication if person is allergy prone, and possibly name and telephone number (only to be shared with the FDA for reporting purposes and any follow-up on their part so they don't think the data was made up or chalk these up to mere anecdotal reports). And anything else you, or anyone else can think of.
I will then aggregate the data and present it in a spreadsheet, and analyze it as best I can and forward it the FDA.

Just so you know, I am not on a crusade against mesh. I just think that the incidence of unfortunate mesh issues can be dramatically reduced if it is used by those who are well trained and highly experienced in its use; maintain a pristine operating field to reduce any possiblity of infection, properly match the type of mesh to the situation, use a large enough piece so it overlaps and allows for contraction (some have a dome-shaped laxity), etc.

Respond to this message   
Unknown

Mesh Allergies

April 12 2012, 9:13 PM 

I wonder just how sterilized the plants are that make mesh, to begin with? I use to work in a plastic manufacture plant that made different plastic items for all kinds of products from the ccokie trays for walmart, plastic cd containers, (the plastic bubble containers that are around medical devices. This was a room enclosed in plexglass. Yet I think about it now that room could of become cross contaminated very easy. Just by use of latex gloves hair nets lab coats just the machines that makes the containers the rolls of polpropylene. Once products are made, shipped all over the world, by train 18 wheelers, ships etc.... but once boxed and shipped out to warehouses how sterile are the shipping modes? How sterile are the warehouses? The temp change between summer and winter,of keeping building temp. Then the shelf life . I read the other day about contamination and auto-immune disease caused by chemical leaching nonylphenol from polypropylene mesh, causing thymocyte apoptosis.

Respond to this message   
Howard

Mesh allergies & jerry

April 13 2012, 10:52 AM 

Unknown;

The bio-chem doc I have been talking to also mentioned the onset of auto-immune disease. Could you post a link to the information you site?

tia,

And Jerry;

This link is from the topix blog. Describes a new meshless hernia repair. Would be nice if you could give us an expert opinion.

http://www.topix.com/forum/post/reply

And;

Wikipedia--Medical

Its most common medical use is in the synthetic, nonabsorbable suture Prolene, manufactured by Ethicon Inc.

Polypropylene has been used in hernia and pelvic organ prolapse repair operations to protect the body from new hernias in the same location. A small patch of the material is placed over the spot of the hernia, below the skin, and is painless and is rarely, if ever, rejected by the body.

>>>>However, a polypropylene mesh will erode over the uncertain period from days to years.<<<<<

Therefore, the FDA has issued several warnings on the use of polypropylene mesh medical kits for certain applications in pelvic organ prolapse, specifically when introduced in close proximity to the vaginal wall due to a continued increase in number of mesh erosions reported by patients over the past few years.[21]

>>>>>Most recently, on January 3, 2012, the FDA ordered 35 manufacturers of these mesh products to study the side effects of these devices<<<<<

Appears the FDA is looking hard at the safety of polypropylene, just not-so-much when it is used for hernia repair. Seems if the mesh caused a problem in one area of the body, it would cause the same reaction anywhere in the body. How can we bring this inclusion-exclusion situation to the attention of the FDA?

Your thoughts?

tia,,

Respond to this message   
unknown

Re: Mesh allergies &Jerry

April 13 2012, 9:41 PM 

Howard This is how I came across the web sites. Ityped Polyproylene hernia mesh leaches chemicals. seach came back with a list of sites. TransVaginal mesh is Life-Threatening. www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/transvaginal-mesh-tvt-sling/interview also another site pdf evaluation of antimicrobial activity of lysostaphi site aac.asm.org/content/early/2011/06/27/AAC.01056-10.full.pdf

Respond to this message   
Howard

Jerry

April 21 2012, 10:33 AM 

Jerry, is this what you had in mind?

Maybe another road to a solution;

http://www.citizen.org/Page.aspx?pid=2326#hrg

Maybe someone could organize all the complaints on this board and communicate with this group.

Respond to this message   

mesh

July 16 2012, 7:40 AM 

I had surgery in May 2012 they put a mesh inside me and since then I have been having problem that no one knows whats wrong with me I feel like Im going crazy. Im in pain all threw my body, my feet and hands are always itchy went to the doctors they dont know whats wrong with me i feel like im losing my mine. I wasnt like this before the surgery I has a total hysterectomy and a total lift of the bladder.Can my body be rejecting the mesh or can this be cause now Im in Menopause that all of this is happening dont know what to do can you please help me with some answers dont know what else to do

Respond to this message   

Confirm itchy hands and feet from Mesh

January 6 2014, 9:36 AM 

I was just diagnosed at UCLA Medical with systemic reaction to bladder mesh surgery performed in 1996. One of the most persistent and crazy symptoms was swelling edema and incessant itching on the tops and bottoms of my feet and palms of my hands. You are not crazy.

Respond to this message   

mesh

July 16 2012, 7:43 AM 

I had surgery in May 2012 they put a mesh inside me and since then I have been having problem that no one knows whats wrong with me I feel like Im going crazy. Im in pain all threw my body, my feet and hands are always itchy went to the doctors they dont know whats wrong with me i feel like im losing my mine. I wasnt like this before the surgery I has a total hysterectomy and a total lift of the bladder.Can my body be rejecting the mesh or can this be cause now Im in Menopause that all of this is happening dont know what to do can you please help me with some answers dont know what else to do

Respond to this message   

I had the Mesh Removed

October 11 2012, 7:56 PM 

I had the Mesh removed 5 weeks ago and am still on the mend. The good news is that for the first in over a year (had Mesh implanted 5-13-12) I am actually starting to feel better physically and mentally.

What a relief after feeling like I had the Flu for the first 6 months after my original surgery, which continued to progress until I was finally diagnosed with Lupus about 3 months ago.

I had never even heard of Lupus before and am told that I am in the demographic of those who normally have Lupus.

I am waiting to see how my blood work comes out over the next couple of months, as before the surgery to remove the mesh was performed the Lupus meds simply were not working.

I am praying for a miracle or at least a remission.

There is definately something bad in that Mesh and big pharm probably is well aware of it.

I can't believe that I have incureable disease.

If anyone else has developed Lupus after having the Mesh implanted in their body please email me at hope_pagano@yahoo.com, and definately consider getting the Mesh Out!!

Hope 10-10-12

Respond to this message   
m.m.

mesh removed

October 15 2012, 6:28 AM 

That's when it got worse !

Nausea, ibs, dizziness, horrible pain exhausted.

My husbands life is over.

Respond to this message   

Knee mesh

June 29 2012, 8:50 AM 

I had surgery in January with a mesh to hold down my kee to prevent dislocation. I have burning where the mesh is and it feels like it cuts into tissue when you first get up. I though it was normal or maybe I was a wimp but it still inflames and I still can't even get up stairs. I think my body hates it. If anyone else has had a problem or has input please let me know.
Thanks for your time

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Knee mesh

June 29 2012, 12:20 PM 

Same here. I think we are screwed...

Respond to this message   
Richard

Knee mesh

June 29 2012, 12:42 PM 

I have a appointment for Tuesday I will leave a responce on what my DR says. I know I am sick of this so maybe I can get a answer. I will post any information I find out. Hope it will help. I used to run hell cant do crap after almost 7mnths so hell for 40 give me a break

Respond to this message   

Knee mesh

June 29 2012, 1:36 PM 

Just noticed that some of the above comments were directed to me for my response - sorry about that.
I did try to respond to the Topix thread but keep getting the following message "Sorry -- to post in the Topix Forums, you must have Javascript and cookies enabled." And I do have both enabled!?

Respond to this message   
Erin

June 29 2012, 6:31 PM 

I gotta stay out of this thread. I forsee a lot of mesh coming my way in the next few weeks and it's really my only choice ahhhh.

And sad to say...don't think the FDA is on our side. They'll let us get crap put in our bodies for the next few decades and then all of a sudden we'll find out it's bad for us and there will be some new product they've approved. Then the cycle will start again. The FDA is crooked.

Respond to this message   
Erin

June 30 2012, 3:43 AM 

Sometimes I wonder...we all know there are probably a lot of people out there who don't know or maybe don't even understand that mesh was put in them. I'd be curious to know if these people ever have problems? I guess what i'm trying to say is...I sometimes wonder if knowing we have something in us, like mesh, just sometimes plays with our minds a bit and makes us overthink the odd things we get off and on as humans from year to year. I remember a few years back before any of this mess i'm going through, before I ever had any mesh put in me or any surgery.... I kept getting an allergic type reaction to something. Like an itchyness. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. It finally just resolved itself after a few months. Very weird. Now, for me, if I was getting that now...I would be all worried it was cause of my mesh.

That being said, they say nobody has a problem with titanium, and it's been proven that there are, infact, people who have problems with it. It's a very, very low percent, I think 4 percent. So, who knows... perhaps the same could be said for polypropylene(not sure on spelling) or whatever a lot of mesh is made of now.

Respond to this message   
Erin

June 30 2012, 4:16 AM 

This thread always begs of the question...for me atleast....WHY is are Shouldice surgeons so hard to find?

Why is this? Why? Why? Why???

Respond to this message   
Howie

June 30 2012, 10:27 AM 

Shouldice became popular in the 40's in the area around Nova Scotia and New York. Also, it spread quickly to South Africa as many Brits moved there and hospitals were built. It is sort of a gold standard in many parts of South Africa.

Respond to this message   
Erin

June 30 2012, 5:01 PM 

Too bad it's such a rare technique in America. Makes me wonder if that's because mesh means money.

Respond to this message   

Knee mesh

July 9 2012, 5:01 AM 

Back from Dr last week said everything is fine. But his assiatant really did not but could not say. All I got was we would have to do another MRI and then see what is what. So I think I am getting another DR. I have evcessive tissue build up from the surgery. So will see

Respond to this message   

mesh

July 16 2012, 7:45 AM 

Respond to this message   

Mesh

July 16 2012, 8:36 AM 

Hi Darlene,
So sorry to hear about what you are enduring. Can you please us know where the mesh was placed, what type it was, exactly where you feel your pains, and a little more about your surgery? One woman who was getting itchy feet and hands claims that by taking a Zyrtec these symptoms disappear within 20 minutes. This would also help you diagnostically to see if an allergy is the cause of your itchiness. As far as the pain, have you had any imaging done? What does your surgeon says could be the explanation for this? Just as an aside it would be interesting to find out what kind of mesh it was and get a similar piece and take it to an allergist who has the capability to somehow test your reaction to it.

Respond to this message   
Lin

Re: Allergies to surgery mesh?

July 16 2012, 10:28 AM 

Could this be from having a weak immune system at birth? As a baby they use to test for Penicillin allergies. Being Penicilin is the base use to be the cure all for infections. I for one am allergy to Penicillin. when tested as baby, I swelled turned beet red. Parents tell of the story. So any way I got researching about ones autoimmune system. Which in turn lead to another link on Autoimmune diseases. Also Autoimmune response after hernia mesh surgery. Jerry this is something you might look into. Autoimmune diseases The Environmental Approach to treating. Being a man made foreign object inserted in ones body, get attacked, weaking the already shocked immune system from the hernia to begin with. Now the start of being cut open, or the lap method of inserted scopes other materials, etc... Ok (Hapten) effect. . Now the immune system has to deal with the Sythetic implant. Which brings me to wonder does a Surgeon, do any kind of Chemial Sensitivity test with the type of mesh he she going to use?? I read where in some people that within hrs. of mesh surgery they became Chemial Sensitivity. Asthma problems,, that they never had before. Smelling sensitivity. Silicone sensitivity. more imformation. Look up Autoimmune Diseases. i found that after mesh I have become Glyten sensitivty- which could tie to thyroid problem. More test on that to be ordered. My opinon is meds that suppose to help us are really killing us. The side effects on some of them are worst off then for what they were meant to cure. So Sad.

Respond to this message   
Genetta

Allergy From Mesh Implant

July 21 2012, 4:19 PM 

Shortly after having mesh implanted I began having shortless of breath. Went to family physician and told that I had asthma. I have never had shortness of breath or asthma related symptoms before. I am having other problems as well.

Respond to this message   
Genetta

Allergy From Mesh Implant

July 21 2012, 4:32 PM 

Shortly after having mesh implanted I began having shortless of breath. Went to family physician and told that I have asthma. I have never had shortness of breath or asthma related symptoms before. I am having other problems as well.

Respond to this message   

If You are Suffering from Transvaginal Mesh

July 30 2012, 8:54 AM 

If you have pain and complications from Transvaginal mesh. You can file transvaginal mesh attorney against manufacturing company. Few months before, my aunty was suffering from same problem, file a lawsult from 1800LawFirm and she got cash settlement. I think 1800LawFirm is a best legal firm because they have best lawyers. For more details you can contact http://www.personal-injuryclaim.com/

Respond to this message   

Mesh Problem

March 14 2013, 9:53 PM 

Getting unbearable pain from surgery or getting one of these :

Erosion through vaginal wall
Infection
Pain
Urinary problems
Recurrence of prolapse and/or incontinence
Bowel, bladder, and blood vessel perforation
Vaginal scarring
Pain during sexual intercourse

It is the time that you need to take a medical advice... Be aware and don't let just be.

Jocelyn
Contact for some legal advice
www.mesh-lawyers.net

Respond to this message   

Really old Mesh story

July 19 2012, 8:47 PM 

When I was 19 in 1972 I had a rib resection done and it was patched with Marlex Plastic Mesh. Twenty years later I had an encapsulated "cyst" removed and I thought that was the end. It wasn't.

From that point on about every 2 years the skin would open up and I would drain buckets [hyperbole] of stuff that wasn't infectious and seemed to be made up of white blood cells and a little blood. It is a light rust color.

After 12 years it finally stopped tunneling though and spontaneously draining and I was fine for a number of years. CT Scans always showed a small amount of fluid build up, but nothing that bothered me.

So now it is 2010, and I had it drained again, this time with a temporary drain put in that was removed after about 2 weeks. It was very painful and I swore I would never do it again.

Now today, I went to my PCP to see if he would drain it. It was the biggest it had ever been, about 9cm x 4.5 cm. Anyway suffice to say it drained and it is still draining. I shall be sleeping upon stuff I don't care about cause I will leak all night and for the next few weeks.

Anyway, I asked my PCP to find out exactly what type of cells is was made of because if it is an allergic reaction to the mesh there should be loads of eosinophils in it.

Well even though it will be a bit messy and I will drain onto all my clothes [I will wear the stuff I don't care about] at least I don't have to deal with the drain tube, which while neater, was painful.

Now as I understand it, its a plastic mesh, made from oil and it has to be leaching into the body causing all manner of problems. I can't believe they are still using plastic meshes.

Hope this helps with the conversation.

Thanks

Laura

Respond to this message   

mesh

August 29 2012, 7:05 PM 

Big question help...can the chemicals that is in the prolapse meash cause seizure like episodes?

Respond to this message   

Mesh

August 30 2012, 1:57 PM 

I have been researching the composition of the various mesh products and I once I found the components and chemicals I looked them up and could find nothing to indicate that any of them would/could cause a seizure. Certain allergies can cause anaphylatic shock and certain pain medications can lower the seizure threshhold.

Respond to this message   

Mesh & Eosinophils

October 10 2013, 2:49 AM 

Please please please tell me Laura how you know a connection between eosinophil and mesh.
Since having all the problems listed in the blogs and more 7 surgeries I have a full blown case of hypereosinophilia, it has affested my gut, my lungs, my esophagus and my heart and polyps galore. This is suppose to be a very rare disease.

How did you know about eosinophils almost no one even in medicine understands this condition?

God bless you for your help

Respond to this message   

how made

February 15 2014, 8:00 PM 

Most all permanent mesh used for surgical repairs is made from polypropylene, which is a polymer of propylene. Acc to my understanding, while propylene is found in nature, produced by some microbes and some green plants in small amounts, the commercial source of the propylene used for making polypropylene is indeed often petroleum, or it may be natural gas, or coal.

Polypropylene stimulates production of scar tissue which "sequesters" the polypropylene, keeps it away from normal tissues with their better blood supply and better ability to degrade the polypropylene and react with it and metabolize it.

However the mesh is designed to maximize tissue ingrowth, and maximize the amount of surface area in contact with tissue. Everything else being the same, the more surface area in contact with tissues, the more the reaction there will be with tissues.

Respond to this message   

inguinal hernia mesh allergy

September 26 2012, 7:57 PM 

i had my surgery last september 4th 2012, im not sure what kinda mesh they used or how i would find that out, two weeks after the surgery i broke out in itching all over several spots of my body that also results in a red rash as well as well as dizzyness a lack of concentration and fatigue i know its the mesh and i dont know what to do, ive been taking claritan which helps keep the symptoms down but isnt fixing the issue

Respond to this message   

hernia repair surgery and tummy tuck

March 15 2013, 3:07 AM 

I'm having all kinds of issues and now I don't have insurance. I have rashes everywhere
I'm itching taking steroids to try to control my problems I'm in Michigan if anyone knows a doctor that can help me please e-mail me.

Respond to this message   

Inguinal hernia as well

January 6 2014, 9:24 AM 

In 09 I too had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair using the bard 3d max mesh. Done Laproscopically. Late that evening I had severe trouble breathing. Chronic itching and hives ever since. Benedryl 2-3 a day helps. Constant burning pain in both thighs, throbbing pain at hernia sight, Inflammation of my prostate, which in turn causes ALOT of pain somewhere I won't mention. I have seen SEVERAL doctors 3 of which say i maybe allergic to the mesh, but the odds of removing it this long after is almost impossible. And workmans comp refuses to pay for anymore treatments. I have been left disabled and alone. I have lost all my assets including my wife due to my "misfortune" of being a victim to this mesh. My only HOPE is In CHRIST.

Respond to this message   

prostate

February 23 2014, 12:44 PM 

Fasteddy writes "inflammation of my prostate" and "benedryl." Benedryl, generic name diphenhydramine, is notorious for exacerbating prostate problems. It says right on the package: get medical opinion if you have enlarged prostate or difficulty urinating." Many years ago I had difficulty urinating and remembered the warning on the label - so I stopped taking diphenhydramine and within a day or 2 I was able to pee like a firehose. Just about all antihistamines may possibly cause swelling of the prostate and impingment on the urethra and thus urine-flow slowdown, but diphenhydramine is thought to be probably the most nasty in this regard.

Respond to this message   

Hernia Mesh, seizures, and allergies

October 22 2012, 8:32 PM 

In 2002, I had hernia repair with mesh (I believe was the K brand) was used. I began having seizure-like symptions with shaking, body being flung around with scars to prove it, sinus problems, asthma increased activity, and in 2005 underwent supposedly having mesh removed after developing bleeding ulcers. However, allergic reactions still present, and had chronic fatique, passing out, and memory stagnation. In 2006, was hospitalized with embolisms, fainting, and doctors thought I had a reaction to meds as has been the ongoing thought every time over the years. Now, I have had to be intubated on life support, wear oxygen, and the doctors claim I have copd. Of all the times I was hospitalized, they could not say copd was my problem. They could not claim pneumonia. Found marks in lungs but no explanation. Gases from gas test revealed hi hi numbers on several occasions. And have often felt I was having a reaction to something in my body. No one listens to me. But all the doctors agree: the next episode, I probably won't come out of it. Yes, my blood pressure medication has more than doubled. My asthma is inflamed easily. And my sinuses are always problematic. And my left ear stays hurt and feels as if my brain is swolen. There have been test of brain for seizure and suggestions of seizures there, but no reason for it. My balance is terribly flawed and I have prominent swelling. Help.

Respond to this message   

Hernia w/mesh

November 4 2012, 2:35 PM 

Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post. In 2011 I had a hernia repair w/mesh. The surgeon stuff what is called diastasis recti with mesh and then placed a mesh over my umbilical hernia. Since the surgery I bern having pain. I am seeking more help from a 2nd surgeon because of the long period of pain as well as I don't think it was wise of my 1st surgeon to stuff mesh in the diastasis. From my understanding and research it should close on its own and that theres excersises for that. So why would is seal it by stuffing mesh inside??? Have this happened to anyone else?

Respond to this message   

Symptoms after hernia repair with mesh

November 12 2012, 1:28 AM 

I had a ventral hernia repair with mesh Dec 2011. I have had strange symptoms but haven't related them to the mesh until now. I have myoclonic seizures and the jerks worsened significantly about one month after the surgery. They had been controlled with meds prior to that. We have tried five different meds at varying strengths and we have even tried Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Nothing has stopped them. I have had severe fatigue. My hands and feet itch and no creams help stop the itching. Then today the area beneath the skin where the mesh is location started itching. It itches under the skin and is driving me crazy. Then I noticed a knot the size of a walnut under the skin beneath the mesh area that is painful to the touch and the skin above is red and warm to the touch. After reading this thread, I am beginning to link all of these other symptoms to this mesh and a possible allergy. Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, what did they have to do?

Respond to this message   

Symptoms after Hernia Repair with Mesh

November 15 2012, 8:06 PM 

Jade, I had my ventral hernia repair in Oct of 2011, and I never healed from the surgery, I had constant Pain in the surgical site, I also developed irritable bowl syndrome Extreme fatigue, headache Pain loss of appetite could not sleep day or night, I was taken painkillers like M & M's I never healed as I fought with my surgeon every other week to take it out it wasn't till June 2012 I started to develop an autoimmune disorder and now since my mesh removal I've not been able to walk or stand for more then 5mins, with out having headaches, nausea, throwing up, dizziness shortness of breath and Pain in my chest, my lower back problem I had in 97 came back in full force, still have IBS that is sever, extreme fatigue, mood swings and to top it off not only can i not walk without assistance, I now have congestive heart failure I've lost everything been hospitalized over 60 days been taken on average 11-16 pills a day lost home God bless me I still have job but haven't worked since 2/12, lost my wife and family, their terrified of me and my mind is going bit by bit holding on to my last bit of faith so yes people there are some sever side effects from surgery and the meds, I could have had the surgery with out having the mesh its along rode back....finding Assn allergist to test my blood and a neurologist to check my brain and neck and the rest of my nerves, can't focus on writing, can't do my job always in Pain and body suffering from drugs and the mesh disorders

Respond to this message   
Jade

Thanks for sharing

November 15 2012, 9:00 PM 

Wow. So sorry for everything you've been through. Makes my story sound like a piece of cake. It doesn't sound like removing the mesh helped. That's really strange and scary. I sure hope they find the answer with the allergy tests. Keep in touch when you know. I'm really interested what they end up relating it to. I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep your chin up. Jade.

Respond to this message   

Allergies to Surgical Mesh

March 23 2013, 11:45 AM 

Hi,
I am 8 weeks post-op for 2nd Right inguinal / abdominal incisional hernia repair just below an area, *Right lateral abdomen, that I had same surgery done about 7 years ago. First surgery done laparoscopically and this one was open incision. I pretty much continued to have abdominal discomfort / pain after 1st surgery but was repeatedly told that it wasn't the hernia because everything was still "tight and intact" upon examination. This time, I experienced bilateral swelling from hips down to tips of my toes that lasted about a week. Then swelling went down and I thought I was on the road to recovery but all of a sudden started to feel like I was going backwards . .same pain as before surgery and felt like there was swelling or bulge in the area but when I felt externally there wasn't anything there. Now the past week, I developed abdominal itching and a rash. The rash is primarily on the R side but due to itching so intensely developed a minor one on lower left hip/pelvic area. Now it feels like my whole body is itching on the inside and there's a burning feeling, like fire, in the tops of my thighs. FYI - I also started antibiotic (3rd dose) for inflammation felt behind (?) urethra upon internal exam from surgeon. I had complained of a bulge-like feeling in my vagina and a picking that hurt when trying to have relations with my husband so he wanted to examine me for a cystocele. Upon exam he said he couldn't feel anything and there wasn't anything significant that would warrant a surgery in terms of a cystocele, but he asked if I'd ever had issues with urinary tract infections because he could feel a "ridge" on the inside that would be consistent with inflammation. I told him I could recall 2 instances where I thought I might have a UTI, but upon lab results it was determined that there wasn't an infection. His response was you can still have a UTI without it showing on lab(s). . .So, he put me on Cipro 750mg bid x 10 days and wants me to call him in 2 weeks to let him know how I'm doing, however, he signed off for me to return to work and I told employee health I was ready, but now I've got all these symptoms going on. Oh, and FYI, I suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and I work as a medical assistant and have a latex sensitivity. Sorry, for giving so much information, but I am really worried, I have developed an allergy to the mesh (polypropylene mesh) and I don't know what to do about it. I mentioned the rash at my f/u appt, but surgeon never looked at it, and he said the discomfort I feel from the mesh can take up to 6mos to go away, but this itching and burning feeling is driving me nuts, and I can't take the nausea and headache anymore! I love my surgeon and don't want to cause any issues with him in case I ever need him again. . .he's the only doctor I trust. He's done 4 surgeries on me :( mostly to fix what a previous gynecologist caused (i.e. the hernias). I don't even want to consider the possibility of another surgery after all I've had done, but I'm concerned about the possibility of a mesh allergy. HELP!

Respond to this message   
Kim

Possible allergy to mesh

March 23 2013, 3:14 PM 

Charlene, After traveling down a road similar to yours, my main piece of advice is to first remember that surgeons are not necessarily diagnosticians. They are somewhat limited in that their expertise is surgery. The trust I had in my surgeon made me lose sight of this myself when I had a reaction to mesh and then a suspected bowel obstruction. It wasn't until I lost over 14lbs before I thought to call my primary MD. You may eventually need surgery, but it sounds like more evaluation is needed before you reach that decision. Good luck!

Respond to this message   
Charlene

Re: Possible allergy to mesh

March 24 2013, 12:15 AM 

Kim, thank you for that advice. I thought about calling my primary care doctor but wasn't sure if she'd understand what is going on. Do you mind telling me what your symptoms were prior to your diagnosis of a mesh allergy? I'm worried, too, about returning to work and now not feeling 100%. I already got cleared by surgeon and employee health :(

Respond to this message   
Kim

Allergy symptoms to mesh

March 24 2013, 12:55 AM 

Charlene, When my first mesh (plug) was placed I was given steriods during surgery which delayed my reaction. About four months later I began having pain and itching at the site. Soon after the mesh began to erode through my abdominal wall. When this mesh was replaced with a 3-D system I developed multiple hematomas in the first days after surgery and the tissue around my incision necrotized. In the weeks and months following I had chronic fatigue, fevers,elevated BP, a rash,itching and unbearable pain at the hernia site. I have never felt so ill and could barely walk to the mailbox. I had the mesh removed after six months and all my symptoms disappeared immediately. There were no signs of an infection and my surgeon said that it was an allergic reaction to the mesh. Because I have developed more hernias since then, I agreed to do a skin test with another type of mesh and had similiar reactions.
My first surgeon had also cleared me to return to work. It was my primary MD who was more understanding and so helpful through this whole ordeal. It has been exhausting trying to advocate for myself and get the surgeon to believe my symptoms. All this being said, I am having my nineth hernia operation on Wednesday and am terrified they may have to resort to placing mesh again.

Respond to this message   

Allergic symptoms to mesh

March 24 2013, 1:25 AM 

Charlene, perhaps you could go to an allergist and s/he can tell you whether or not it looks like an allergic rash. If so, then perhaps you could start taking an anti-histamine and see if the allergic symptoms abate. You might want to get a prescription anyway since this can also used diagnostically (i.e. if you respond favorably then that pretty much tells you it's an allergy). If it is an allergy you may be looking at the kind of mesh removal that Kim said helped her so much.

Kim, I am VERY interested in hearing more about the mesh skin test that you underwent! I have been calling for such a test for some time now and to hear that at least some doctor is implementing this is music to my ears (not that he got the idea from me!) Please let us know the details on this and who is performing this innovative test.

Respond to this message   
Charlene

Re: Allergic symptoms to mesh

March 24 2013, 8:35 AM 

Jerry, I started taking Benadryl to see if that would help with the itching and it may have, however I have a burning sensation in the tops of my thighs, upper arzms and abdomen that has me thinking I could have and infecfion. I am being treated for a question of UTI (I'm assuming) because I had pelvic / vaginal pain. Funny thing is, I wasn't having symptoms of UTI, but now that I started medication it seems I do ie difficulty and frequency urinating, tender abdomen. . .hard to say what's going on with me, at this point. In my head, either way it looks like another surgery may be on the horizon and I'm not sure I can think about that right now.

Respond to this message   
Charlene

Re: Allergy symptoms to mesh

March 24 2013, 8:22 AM 

Kim thank you for sharing that, I'm sorry to hear you've had to endure so much and now face another surgery. I will be praying for a better outcome than you previously had along with a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how you make out.

At the moment, I don't know if what I am experiencing is an allergic reaction or an infection or possibly both, but I realize it's a physician who will have to diagnose that.

Respond to this message   
Kim

Allery symptoms to mesh

March 26 2013, 8:34 AM 

Jerry, The skin test I had for mesh was not that innovative- actually quite simple. The surgeon obtained a sample piece of mesh from the manufacture's rep. We just placed a small piece externally on my upper interior arm. I wore it for two- three days with noted redness, itching and burning pain around the perimeter of the mesh.

Respond to this message   

Allergic symptoms to mesh

March 26 2013, 9:47 AM 

Thank you very much for that information Kim. Frankly I am surprised that that sort of thing is not standard practice for patients who are to undergo hernia repairs because we all know that once that stuff is inside of you and it starts causing allergic reactions I can be brutal to get it out.
Funny how we go for pre-admission testing to see if we are medically clear for surgery and yet something this common, and with these kinds of potential consequences, is not addressed BEFORE we are implanted with mesh that can destroy our lives if we react to it with the kinds of symptoms and consequences described herein.

Respond to this message   
Cam

Potential Allergy to Mesh

April 15 2013, 2:31 PM 

My husband had a mesh placement during a recent hernia repair and within a few days broke out in a severe itchy rash on one thigh. It has now spread to his other thigh and his abdomen. It does not appear to be related to either the incision site or the surgical prep and he has no history of allergies in general or problems linked to surgeries. He is requesting a sample of the mesh to test for an allergic reaction to the polypropelene. Our allergist has said he will do the patch test for three days. Assuming the allergy is detected, has anyone removed the mesh for this purpose and is it worth it. I am not in favor of him managing it for the rest of his life (he is 43) especially with the many posts I have seen that suggest there are links to other autoimmune issues. Thoughts?

Respond to this message   

Potential Allergy to Mesh

April 15 2013, 10:51 PM 

Hi Cam,
Just some suggestions. While you are working with the allergist you might want to have your husband tested for a latex allergy since latex gloves are worn by the surgical team. Also reactions to pain medicine (if he is still on it) can sometimes produce allergic-like symptoms. I mention those things just to rule out other causes but it does sound like a great idea to have your husband tested for an allergic reaction to the mesh. (Please let us know how the allergist performs this test). Also, taking an anti-histamine can possibly help with a differential diagnosis in the sense that if the rash goes away you will know that it is allergy related. In my experience talking to numerous others who have these kinds of symptoms they do not tend to go away and can sometimes lead to even worse problems. So the choice, if it is indeed an allergic reaction, is to try and minimize the discomfort after finding the most effective medication or having the mesh removed. Thankfully it has not been implanted in him for very long so that thick scar tissue and total incorporation are not as much of an issue as with those who wait years or have had heavyweight mesh. I hope he finds the relief he is seeking.

Respond to this message   

Ethicon proceed mesh

July 9 2013, 11:45 PM 

Hi jerry do you know any attorneys that are taking ethicon procedd mesh cases i'v had no luck please if so let me know..
Yhanx Joey:)

Respond to this message   

Ethicon Proceed Mesh

July 10 2013, 11:43 AM 

I'm not sure of your location but if you contact the experienced Pensacola, Florida defective product lawyers at Aylstock, Witkin, Kreis & Overholtz (888) 255-2956 you can get additional information regarding your rights as a Proceed Surgical Mesh injury victim. And if they can't help you then perhaps they can refer you to another law firm that is closer to you that also deals with litigating case involved in this type of mesh.
Good luck to you.

Respond to this message   

WOW

September 12 2013, 1:39 AM 

I had bilateral hernias' repaired in 09. Started feeling like crap soon after.After several prescriptions of everything from norco's, perkocet, neurontin, and whole list of other crap that did not work. I just spoke with a surgeon in costa rica who informed me that he believed by looking at my symptons, that I am having an allergic reaction to the mesh. Bard 3d max. He did state that removing the mesh may cause worse damage and more pain. I did notice on the O.R. report that there was a lipoma present that was moved, not removed, during the repair. Any one think this could be causing me pain? Doctors locally, pasadena, ca, want to perform a neromaopathy?( cut the nerves) any suggestions. Thank you all.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: WOW

September 13 2013, 1:31 PM 

Fasteddy, What are your symptoms?

Respond to this message   
Fasteddy

RE:

September 13 2013, 7:51 PM 

Chronic itching all over, fever and night sweats, Constant pain in inguinal area, radiating down front of both thighs. Since the surgery my prostate has become Very enlarged and psa is rising. And of coarse basic allergy symptoms. Low back pain.

Respond to this message   

WOW

September 13 2013, 9:52 PM 

Fasteddy Ė so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It does certainly sound like you have a lot of the symptoms of a mesh allergy but I highly doubt thatís all that is wrong. For that part of it, you might want to see an allergist and try an allergy medication to see 1) if you get any relief and 2) to confirm that at least part of your distress is an allergic reaction. I would also get tested for prostatitis and possibly a CT urogram. It sounds like your surgeon did you a disservice by not removing the lipoma but since your pain is bilateral you could have an issue with the way the mesh was affixed to the inguinal ligaments which would cause pain down your legs. Also the mesh could have degraded due to the constant attack it has endured through your bodies rejection of it (foreign body reaction and allergic reaction). A neurectomy might not be a bad idea and maybe the mesh removal would not be as bad in your case since everyone is different. I would think that diagnostic tests and exploratory surgery would pinpoint the problems and they could be addressed at that time. Dr. Petersen in Las Vegas is quite experienced with this, has good outcomes, and does not use mesh. Other options would include Johns Hopkins University where they could address any urological and hernia issues at the same time, and Beth Israel Hospital in NYC has a whole specialty unit in hernia recurrences and the problems that go along with them. Best of luck to you.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: ex love back spell casting +2348155425481

December 18 2013, 1:49 AM 

This message has been edited by skiproman from IP address 108.36.4.23 on Dec 19, 2013 6:19 PM
This message has been edited by skiproman from IP address 108.36.4.23 on Dec 19, 2013 6:18 PM

Respond to this message   
Kristin

Mad at Mesh

December 27 2013, 3:36 PM 

I feel horrible all of the time, but I've been unable to get an answer to the problem. Is it the mesh? what else could it be?

At first, I complained of pain at the mesh site. The surgeon said no one had ever had that problem. Not. The ilio-inguinal genito-femoral nerve is caught in the mesh; an anesthesiologist discovered and treated it.

My mouth tastes different. Skin gets hives over ďnothing.Ē Head hurts. Muscles in back burn. Eyeballs ache. Sometimes my teeth ache, but I donít tell anyone that. The bones in my feet hurt. My hips are the worst pain, next to head, and lymph nodes are swollen now from beneath my ears to around my groin. Belly and kidneys burn. Chest burns. Pressing my fingers to my face, spine, other places, hurts. The pain is constant.

Iíve been to about 15 specialists, fm pelvic to gyn to second opinion surgeon to different internist, allergists, rheumatologists, urologist, neurologist. My thinking is skewed, and memory/concentration is waning. Enthusiasm and energy, gone. Weight fluxuating due to hyper- and hypo-thyroid.

I feel like Iím dying from the inside out. It is getting progressively worse, and I am scared by what has happened. I wonder if I can recover. Ever. Losing hope but fighting anyway. I used to cry, but now Iím mad as hell. Maybe being angry will help me forge ahead for a solution and not give in.

Upon learning how many doctors Iíd seen in the past year plus, the neurologist asked me, ďWhat are you getting out of this?Ē Meaning, was I getting something positive out of going to doctors...absolutely not I said.

What are doctors getting out of denying help? Richer and not sued?

I donít like feeling so negative. I love dogs, plants, the outdoors. I just want the pain to stop.

What online support group (ongoing & active) do you recommend? I wonder how many others donít feel good enough to be on the computer as much anymore. Tired of feeling blue and blah, Kristin

Respond to this message   

Hernia Mesh

January 9 2014, 11:25 PM 

Jerry, my brother had lap inguinal hernia surgery 9/2013. Since that time he has had severe itching which at first was localized but then soon became systemic. The mesh used is not known at this date but hopefully will be soon.
He is a 72 y.o. who did not have any allergies or itching prior to this surgery, His surgeon did not seem to be at all concerned about the symptoms and left the room when asked about the possible correlation with the mesh. Since that time he has developed shortness of breath, had a cardiac cath, blood tests, x-rays, CT scans and many prescriptions. Just today he was in the ER for the shortness of breath and again, all tests were negative.
We are becoming more convinced that the mesh is causing his symptoms. I don't want to see him develop further symptoms, as many of those who have posted on your site. Tomorrow we will try getting the mesh info from the surgeon's office and then our plan is to get him to an allergist for testing. If there is a class-action suit that you know of please include my brother with the information. Thank you for this site.

Respond to this message   

So many people , same problem.

January 13 2014, 10:40 AM 

My hands are itchy with hives, my feet, two rare skin disorders, burning at the hernia mesh site, night sweats, vivid dreams, dizzy spells..BUT i have been keeping my self busy with a new facebook site called STAND UP AND BE COUNTED AGAINST MEDICAL MESH... i can see we know whats going on but the biggest problem is getting the message out there ..it is an open site, please check it out, i would love any links for information....thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Allergies to surgical mesh
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page