Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Pre Operative EKT and Blood Tests, Local Docs Reluctant

October 7 2016 at 12:42 PM
RFE 
from IP address 72.28.168.27

North Penn sent me scripts to get bloodwork and EKG prior to setting up surgery. I ran into a great deal of skepticism and reluctance to perform the tests. Everyone was very suspicious when I said I was having surgery 600 miles away, like I was scamming them somehow. My (now former doc) said he didn't think I had a hernia. He did the ol' "turn head and cough" test. I told him it was inguinal and had retracted, he simply didn't believe me. Went to another doc "Well, there's a laxity, but I wouldn't do anything." He wouldn't say hernia. Finally, yesterday, I went to a walk-in clinic. I told a little white lie and said I experience "acute pain" so they would even see me. Luckily the doc there had had personally had an inguinal hernia and actually knew what the hell I was talking about. Finally I got something in writing stating that I had a hernia! I thought hernia's were covered in Pre-med 101?! I can't believe I had to find a doctor that had a hernia before I could get a proper diagnosis!

Then I tried to get the pre-op bloodwork and EKG. "Oh, unless you're having a heart issue we can't just do an EKG." What the hell? Two docs basically told me I don't have a hernia and another says he can't do a pre-op EKG!! Finally I handed him the North Penn scripts and said "Can I just purchase these tests with cash??" He responded "Well, I don't know how much they would be." After some haggling I convinced him to do the tests and he attempted to "code it" so I might not be billed.

Has anyone else run into these kinds of impediments? I have great insurance and a hernia the size of a golf ball. I gotta get out of this small town!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RFE

EKG not EKT

October 7 2016, 12:43 PM 

Meant EKG not EKT

Respond to this message   
SteveH

Re: Pre Operative EKT and Blood Tests, Local Docs Reluctant

October 10 2016, 3:23 PM 

I would have taken a photo of the hernia when it is present to convince the naysayers. If it is really the size of a golf ball when present, then the photo should be conclusive. I self-diagnosed my own inguinal hernia when I found a photo of one on the Internet.

Respond to this message   
Paul

Re: Pre Operative EKT and Blood Tests, Local Docs Reluctant

October 12 2016, 7:21 PM 

All of this nonsense did not exist before Obamacare. He basically ruined the whole healthcare system.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page