Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Coughing and sneezing after hernia repair at NPHI

October 15 2016 at 8:02 PM
Anonymous 
from IP address 100.11.103.212

I recently (June 2016) had my right inguinal hernia repaired by Dr. Minecart at NPHI. The surgery went well and I was basically back to normal within a month. I've gone back to jogging, lifting weights and swimming with no issues. But four months after the surgery, I began suffering from allergies and started coughing and sneezing excessively for a couple of days. As a result I began having sharp pains in my groin area near the surgery site. The pain was similar to the pain I felt after the surgery. I don't notice any swelling (although I am on a medrol dose pack for allergy symptoms) and I have no pain in the area, except for when I cough, sneeze or blow my nose. Although, maybe a sharp twinge hear or there. My concern is that my excessive coughing/sneezing/nose blowing has severely compromised my hernia repair. When I cough hard it feels as if the wound is reopening. I have an upcoming appointment with Dr. Minehart to evaluate this new pain development, but wanted to know if anyone else experienced hernia repair issues after prolonged coughing/sneezing/nose blowing several months post surgery.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
LivingInKY

Re: Coughing and sneezing after hernia repair at NPHI

October 17 2016, 8:31 AM 

I had surgery with Dr. Goodyear in 2014 July. Never had any pains but I find that "sometimes" (may be twice so far) after sex or talking loud (yes I do talk VERY loud sometimes) I have some kind of pull in the right testicle area which feels like heaviness or something pulling down. But it goes away after a few hours (one or two days). So I am careful not to repeat those acts as often. Other than that there is nothing else.

I also have some softening of the scar tissue since my last report in July. I notice that it is getting software by the day. It used to be 1 to 2" hardness but now it is going away - so things are falling in place I supposed.

But these are for just me. Your case can be different. Dr. Minecart would be the best person to explain. Do talk him about the talking loud, sneezing parts and post your discussion here for others to know. Thanks

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page