Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Inguinal hernia repair

October 20 2016 at 9:41 PM
GRL 
from IP address 74.248.201.47

I had my first inguinal hernia surgery in 09' at a different facility performed by a local, general surgeon and it only held for about 1 year. Needless to say i was very disappointed and discouraged knowing i would eventually need to get this fixed. After doing a lot of research i discovered North Penn Hernia Institute and read about Dr. James Goodyear. He was highly spoken of and highly recommended. I was very impressed with what i read and was convinced i needed to make the trip to have him perform my surgery. I live in Tennessee and it took a bit of planning, but i would like to say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Dr. Goodyear and the entire staff were very professional and amazing! Its been 11 months since Dr. Goodyear performed my inguinal hernia repair and i've had no problems at all. I hope anyone reading this does what i did and makes the trip to let a highly skilled surgeon like Dr. Goodyear get you back on your feet. He was awesome, and i would strongly recommend anyone needing hernia surgery to go see him and his staff. I

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
SteveH

Cost?

October 21 2016, 4:56 PM 

How much did your hernia repair cost (not including travel or local hotel) before insurance reimbursement (if any)? Just curious. Obamacare has ruined the market for private health insurance, so I'm considering going without health insurance in 2017 for the first time in my life (53 years).

Respond to this message   
Paul

Re: Cost?

October 22 2016, 11:36 AM 

Obamacare has ruined healthcare period! Prior to its passing, polls showed that the majority of people did not want it, but Congress ignored everyone and rammed it down our throats anyway. To top it of, our great President still comes out shining like a rose due to a free pass by the corrupt media. What a crock.

Respond to this message   
GRL

cost

October 23 2016, 8:56 AM 

after my insurance paid their part, my cost was about 1500.00

Respond to this message   
GRL

cost

October 23 2016, 8:58 AM 

after insurance paid their part, my part was about 1500.00

Respond to this message   
SteveH

Re: cost

October 25 2016, 7:48 AM 

How much was paid by your insurance? Thanks.

Respond to this message   
LivingInKY

October 25 2016, 9:37 AM 

Steve
It does not matter or should not matter to you how much other insurance pays to Dr. G and hospital since insurance have their network and pay network prices. Once you say you have no insurance the prices will vary. The best bet will be to call NPHI and speak to the office manager and even may ask for Dr. G to call you. He often does and can explain details for you. They may even (I am not sure but I guess) have a payment plan for you.

Each insurance pays differently and nothing is set in stone. I think if you do not have insurance you can even try to convince Dr. G and his office for some reasonable and agreeable amount.

Having said this, the travel and hotel can be high. I went to Dr. G from KY and flew since I could not drive. But my family insisted they go with me. So four flight tickets, four days hotel, shopping for family (you know they won't sit still for 5 minutes) one rental car and all.

If you - like us who had surgery with Dr. G - believe that Dr. G is the best option for you, spend the money and consider it as medical holiday. Four years from now you won't remember or crib a thing about this surgery costs.

The other day I was backing my car and hit the garage door. It cost me $300 to fix. I lost my mood and took a day off and after 2 weeks I was still in stupid mood for not looking back while driving. Did I tell you that the temperature was 25 deg tha day? Cold, stupid, bad mood blah blah. Money gone down the drain etc. But that was 3 years ago and I do not feel the same thing now. I laugh it off.

Respond to this message   
SteveH

October 26 2016, 7:36 AM 

Finding out the in-network cost is just a data point, nothing more.

I currently don't need an operation, and hopefully never will, but you never know.

Respond to this message   
Carl

Hernia PAIN 6 months after surgery

December 29 2016, 11:29 AM 

I am a 49 year old male. I have had inguinal hernia surgery in early 2014 on my left side. Within 6 months I started having a stabbing pain during sex. The doctor sent me for physical therapy(duh) and of course it did nothing. Luckily because of my lack of finances the therapist agreed to wave my copay for the many visits I went. It was a waste of time.

Back in 1995 I had the same surgery on my right side. Because of the dangers I heard about mesh I requested to the doctor to not use mesh. He agreed and I never had a problem. This doctor here in York County, PA agreed to not use mesh but convinced me, THE MORNING OF SURGERY, to allow him to use mesh and I reluctantly agreed. He told me the mesh today was safe and the problems with mesh was a thing of the past. However, he ALSO told me that once a year he goes to South America to volunteer his services at hospitals for free. He also told me that in South American they are NOT allowed to use mesh. What does THAT tell ya?!? Anyway, after therapy he basically blew me off and said my pain had nothing to do with his surgery. That it was "something else". Well, my pain go worse and with my job(maintenance mechanic in a school district), the pain got worse and worse. Not just the stabbing pain during sex but also the entire general area of the hernia repair. The pain at times is unbearable and I cannot even perform my normal tasks at work. The pain has ruined my sex life and I wound up returning to the doctor who performed the surgery. He set me up for an MRI. At the same visit he stated that he would like to do a nerve injection to see if they can pinpoint the problem/pain. If the injection works he stated that he would CUT the problem nerve or remove the mesh. I told him I want the mesh removed and he started trying to get around that, saying that it could cause more problem in the long run. I went for the MRI and the following week called for the results. The front desk nurse told me that I do not have another hernia. I got angry and said, "I KNOW THAT. What is the problem though?" She told me to just keep my appointment with the doctor who will perform the nerve injection. So, as of now I do not know what the actual results are of the MRI and if it showed anything. So, January 10th, 2017 I go for the nerve injection. Dr. Goodyear at North Penn in Lansdale, PA agreed to see if I do not have results from the injection. I cannot take this anymore. I feel as if my Dr. would rather me go away. Signing off for now.

Carl
York County, PA

Respond to this message   
Matt

would like to know if the injections help

January 8 2017, 11:36 AM 

Hi Carl, would like to hear how your injections go and what exactly they inject. I've been offered injections as well but thus far I have passed and just dealt with it. I may reconsider. Thanks and good luck!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page