Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Just Finished Surgery With Dr. Goodyear

November 1 2016 at 4:02 PM
RFE 
from IP address 98.114.47.242

I wasn't going to post anything this time (had previous right inguinal repair 2010), but when people do an excellent job I think they should be recognized. In short, the experience has been excellent with professional, skilled, friendly, and accommodating staff every step in the process. Thank you Dr. Goodyear, NPHI staff, and the kind professionals at Lansdale-Abington Hospital!

Details:

Left inguinal hernia: Went in to Lansdale-Abington Hospital 9:00am. Quick easy check in. Minutes later taken to pre op for vitals, details, chat with anesthesiologist. They listened carefully and tailored the anesthesia meds and technique to accommodate my specific health needs (I have a vocal cord issue). Dr. Goodyear came in, nice relaxed chat about details and got caught up since we last met 6 years ago.

Off to operating room about 10:15-10:30am. Out like a light. When my brain turned back on in recovery I saw 12:10 in the afternoon. Felt pretty good and regained mental function (a low bar for me) very quick. Munched on snacks, sipped water, and went for 3 assisted walks over the next hour or so. Then got dressed.

Back in motel room around 3:00. All is well. Going for short walks hourly and doing rest and ice in between. I'm attempting to do the recovery without prescription meds, just Tylenol or Advil. I avoid narcotic pain meds due to apnea concerns. The next 72 hours will determine the wisdom of that decision. I'm also traveling alone. At first I was cool with that, but did get a little nervous before surgery. I will continue to evaluate that decision also. Probably better to have a travel companion.

Thanks again to all involved.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
LivingInKY

Re: Just Finished Surgery With Dr. Goodyear

November 3 2016, 8:24 AM 

RFE
Good to know your details. After spending a couple of grand on flight hotel and all I learned this part - Going alone is better than going with someone who gets bored with our problems.

Only time I needed help was when I was not able to get up from bed immediately and needed a push on back. Other than that a companion is completely useless.

I am sure you are going to be OK. Keep walking and posting. Godspeed in your recovery.

How is Dr. G and why is he not active here? If you meet him again, say hi.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 3 2016, 10:39 AM 

Dr. Goodyear is doing well. He's just super busy with work, family, community, and his personal life. He's got a lot going on outside the operating room. After 37 years I think his spare time is spent enjoying life a little more. Since I last saw him six years ago he looks like he's gotten in good shape and bounds around with energy and focus.

My recovery is doing good. I have less discoloration and swelling than last time, almost none at this point. I've been rigorous about walking regularly and getting out of the motel room. I've only used Tylenol or Advil for pain. This time I have a minor sore throat (actually more the roof of my mouth) due to the technique they used for general anesthesia. Due to a vocal cord issue they used slight positive air pressure to make sure I could breathe easily. I think the device must have rubbed the roof of my mouth at some point and caused the soreness. They normally do sedation instead of general anesthesia, but I moved around too much last time so they knocked me out completely. Woke up fine without dizziness or nausea.

In general I'm feeling good. I often have wondered why this surgery is so easy with Dr. Goodyear and why other surgeons can't do what he does. Several of my friends have had hernia surgery and they had long slow recoveries with very limited activity. Seems a little crazy to drive 700 miles for hernia surgery, but the results are totally worth it.

Respond to this message   
LivingInKY

November 3 2016, 1:08 PM 

I flew across half the country almost to see Dr. G. I am happy I went to him.

The price you pay for going to him is much less than the worry you will have if things go wrong with any other surgeon. DG has done these on a daily basis and knows them inside out.

I used the Philly train to go to Abington Hospital from airport and back. It was not cheap but much cheaper than the taxi and well what comes free in life? I did not like the ticket conductors in trains though. I asked one such guy to help put my suitcase but he ignored me. I feared I could not lift that suitcase into train but my family did it. That conductor was arrogant. Any case I cannot forget some things in life and harbor agony for decades (like the childhood buddy who pushed me in classroom. I still do not talk to him after 3 decades! And what's more I still feel like punching him!)

Eat well, Sleep sound, Enjoy the break from family; the usual buzz and din. May be even read a great book!

Respond to this message   
Jobroni

November 3 2016, 9:21 PM 

I had my hernia repaired by Dr Goodyear 3 trs ago. Travelled from NY. I read about RFE's experience which was a great help in relieving my anxiety prior to surgery. I saw had seen several other surgeons for consultations and Dr Goodyear was by far above the rest. I will always be grateful to Dr Goodyear. Hope you are doing well RFE.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 3 2016, 11:49 PM 

Thank you Jobroni. I'm glad you were satisfied with the results of your surgery with Dr. Goodyear. I'm doing well. I'm still in Lansdale doing my frequent walks and making sure all is well before the long drive back to SC on Saturday. I could have traveled sooner but I figured, in the unlikely event something went wrong, I'd be able to see Dr. Goodyear if I stayed a few more days. It's been very pleasant here and I found a nice park called Spring Valley (about 3 miles from Quality Inn) which is great for long walks in the fall weather. Getting a little restless now so I anxious to get back home.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 6 2016, 12:10 AM 

Drove myself 700 miles today and now back in South Carolina. Took walking breaks every 1-2 hours and felt fine the entire trip. There is definitely less swelling and discoloration than my surgery in 2010. This time I applied ice more often than last time and kept my activities mostly to walking. Last time I did ice very little and was extremely active within the first 24 hours, including getting on a motorcycle. That likely contributed to more pronounced after effects. The gentler activity and ice (10-20 minutes 4-5 times a day) have left me very comfortable, little swelling, and capable of doing almost anything without discomfort. Never took prescription pain meds, only Tylenol or Advil. There is no pinching, poking, pulling sensation at all. Feels great to have all the creepy hernia symptoms completely gone. I'm looking forward to visiting the gym tomorrow to do some cardio and light resistance training.

Seems a bit surreal to have driven up to Lansdale, had surgery, drive home and feel great all within one week. Lansdale was beautiful and everyone I interacted with was very friendly. The staff at the Quality Inn on Bethlehem Pike were super nice and even offered to check on me! I left Lansdale with a very good impression of the town and people. I have a great deal of gratitude for everything that transpired this week and those that made it possible.

Respond to this message   
LivingInKY

November 7 2016, 11:45 AM 

Wow, you actually drove 700 miles? My pain was bad when I had surgery and I cannot imagine driving that long. You are lucky. I would say please take it easy over the next few weeks. What is the real hurry to do cardio? Why not wait? Let it heal. Internally you do not know what could happen if you over do anything. Keep us posted.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 7 2016, 6:14 PM 

Driving 700 miles was pain free. I enjoyed the scenery along I-81 and I-77. Walking breaks every 1-2 hours. Today was shopping, light gym workout, mowed half acre with push mower, gas trimmer, leaf blower. No problems or discomfort at all. Won't do abdominal exercises or running for a few more days. Not on any pain meds. The incision area is already flattening out and the little bit of discoloration has begun to fade. Other than the small "healing ridge" it's all looking close to normal again. Sleeping great since surgery. Apparently the discomfort of the hernia and associated digestive issue (gas pain) was effecting my sleep quality. Also, now I can sneeze, cough, and blow my nose without any discomfort, which is really nice.

Respond to this message   
SteveH

November 9 2016, 10:12 AM 

Congratulations on a successful recovery so far.

It's too bad that you seem to have run out of body parts for Dr. Goodyear to operate on, since you enjoy going under the knife. I'm still content to 'watch and wait'.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 9 2016, 11:14 AM 

I don't enjoy "going under the knife." I'm grateful to have a solution to a problem and providing an account that may be useful to some people.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 9 2016, 11:24 AM 

Last update. One week out from left inguinal surgery and all is absolutely perfect. Not a bit of discomfort or limitations. Right side was done over six years ago and has been absolutely trouble free and undetectable under vigorous and unlimited daily activity.

Respond to this message   
LivingInKY

November 10 2016, 2:48 PM 

RFE I wanted to ask but forgot.

Does Dr. G still use the same kind of mesh (ultra pro) or has he upgraded to another/better one? My surgical report said ultra pro (or something like that) and Dr. G personally said it is 8x stronger than the normal tissue. I was also very surprised that the blood loss was 0.5ml or less. Not sure how this could be but do you know any details of how they curtail the blood flow after the initial cut? (could it be laser blade?) Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
RFE

November 9 2016, 11:33 AM 

BTW SteveH, what would make you say that I enjoy going under the knife? You must be a sick bastard. Good luck waiting, watching and trolling hernia websites for the rest of your life.

Respond to this message   
Paul

November 9 2016, 6:54 PM 

Congrats on your recovery RFE! Maybe his hernia will strangulate, LOL?

Respond to this message   
Michael

November 18 2016, 6:10 PM 

I don't think anyone enjoys going under the knife. And when they do, they want it as pleasant (if you can use that word) as possible.

Respond to this message   
Mark

November 13 2016, 10:03 AM 

Great to hear you're doing well. This coming January will be 4 years since my left repair. If I had to do it over, I would have still had it done at NPHI.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page