North Penn Hernia Institute Title Bar
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE WEB PAGE
Vist North Penn Hernia Institute Home Page

LIKE US
LIKE Us on Facebook
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Positive Experience Dr. Chen & Dr. Mills (UCLA)

January 26 2017 at 4:04 PM
Chris 
from IP address 12.161.74.244

Hi all,

I wanted to post a positive outcome out of a long process to fix my botched right inguinal hernia repair that involved mesh and a plug. I rushed the surgery in July 2014 due to my wife being due with our first child in August 2014 and didn't realize the importance of picking a strong surgeon. I was obviously oblivious to what could happen with a hernia repair (I had a successful one on the left side in 2001 and was great after a couple days). Immediately after the surgery when I woke up in recovery, I was in a lot of pain. That worsened two days later and my right testicle swelled up to about double its normal size. I wound up being stricken with significant and consistent pain after that.

I ultimately realized this wasn't normal and it wasn't improving and wound up seeing Dr. David Chen at UCLA. We scheduled our first surgery in May of 2015 where he discovered meshoma and plug migration that both had nerve entrapment along with some blood vessel entrapment with the plug. He performed a neurectomy of the genitofemoral trunk, and the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastric nerves. It was a pretty long surgery (3 hours) due to the complexity of the situation and recovery actually took about a month. He couldn't remove all of the plug due to how it was embedded into some blood vessels and he placed a new lightweight mesh with a tension free method.

I was feeling great after that but come September 2015 I started to get shooting pain down into my testicle that continued to get worse. We conducted another surgery in February 2016 via laparoscope and he performed a paravasal neurectomy and lysis of adhesions. Another complicated surgery that took a while.

That solved the shooting pain down into my right testicle but I was having pain in the testicle itself. I went back in May 2015 to ask him to just remove the testicle (which was an option if others didn't work) and he encouraged me to see Dr. Jesse Mills (urologist) first. Mills explained that my testicle has suffered enough significant trauma from what went on that it was likely causing the issue. He could perform a microsurgical denervation of the spermatic cord and we perform a nerve block test in the office to see if I was a candidate (it worked).

Dr. Mills performed the surgery in July 2016 while also removing a couple of neuromas and I am happy to say that I am pain free (outside of some lingering pain from all the scar tissue which is totally manageable) and none of this impacted fertility.

I highly recommend Dr. David Chen and Dr. Jesse Mills at UCLA. They were a godsend in getting all of this resolved and they just kept working at this in a methodical manner.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
NORTH PENN HERNIA INSTITUTE
Home Page