<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

an all hybrid iron set

January 9 2008 at 7:31 PM
JK  (Login brutus37)

Last year, I experimented with all types of swings, including S&T. At the end of the year, I decided to stick with S&T because it is easy on the back and it created great iron shots.

This year, I thought I wopuld experiment with different types of clubs and S&T. I am thinking on the lines of an all hybrid set. I hit my 5 hybrid quite well with S&T and perhaps a set in the bag may be in something I may want to try.

Anyone have any suggestions on what club type? I see that the Ben Hogan AHS hybrid set is marked for clearance. Any remarks on those clubs?

Thanks

JK

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(Login DaveR_LEX)

Hybrid irons

January 11 2008, 12:38 AM 

If I were to go with a hybrid iron set, I would go with Adams. If cost is a factor, go with the A2s instead of the newer A3s. However, having said that, I also should say that I just got rid of my Adams after only about 25 rounds and went back to more traditional irons - Taylormade R7s.

I never took a divot with the hybrids, so therefore all my iron shots looked like tennis ground strokes. Big bounce, usually over the target. However, they were very easy to hit, especially out of the rough or fairway bunkers. It's all a matter of what works for you, and clearly I was not hitting down on the ball enough with the hybrids. Good luck!

Dave Robertson

This message has been edited by DaveR_LEX on Jan 11, 2008 12:45 AM

Respond to this message   
JT
(Login brutus37)

Advantages of hybrids

January 11 2008, 3:06 PM 

Of what I have read, the Adams hybrids are great as a true hybrid(3,4, 5 iron), but as for the rest of the irons in the set...not so much.

I used to own a set of Tour edge Bazookas hybrids. I sold them 2 years back. I kind of wish I didn't. It was one butt ugly looking club but it sure made the shots go straight and far. And there is the one major plus in hybrids.

I ususaly play on municipal courses. And as we all know, there are not the best of shape. Sometimes, I find my ball resting in a patch of weeds, uncut grass, or on a bare patch. The hybrid makes it easy to pick the ball off a bad lie. With an iron, sometimes The club will "twist" because I hit it fat on a bad lie.

One of the bad points of hybrids is that you can't work the ball that much.

The Ben Hogan's AHS hybrids look like a great deal ($299 a set). I have heard Ben Hogan clubs are top notch in terms in quality. Unforuntaley, not many sets available in the Ben Hogan hybrid version. So, if you lose a club, the whole set could be shelved because no replacement can be found.

So, what to do, what to do...

This message has been edited by brutus37 on Jan 11, 2008 3:07 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Need a free spelling checker for the message you are about to post? ieSpell works great with Internet Explore; give it a try. BobKy

Est. April 1, 2007. Page views since April 11,2007

Free Web Counter
Free Counter

BobKy is the forum moderator. View daily forum activity = Page Views

Please visit our other golf forums. Blake Swing Forum,Bonar Swing Forum, and Chazman Swing Forum

Also, visit the Single-Axis Golf Forum