Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Minnesota Morel Sightings

April 15 2007 at 8:33 AM
TheGreatMorel  (Login thegreatmorel)
Forum Owner

a place for Minnesota shroomers to report.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
judyMN
(no login)

Any reports for MN yet?

April 17 2007, 11:53 AM 

Sure seems like we should have seen some news on them already. I took a peak in my spots last weekend but didnt see anything yet. Im very anxious for them.

Respond to this message   
steve
(Login sgatorg61)

Found some!

May 23 2007, 3:34 PM 

Found two garbage sacks full today. I didn't have anymore sacks otherwise i would have filled more, i'm going back tommarow. Good luck hunting!

Respond to this message   
(Login th000zm)

hmm

May 4 2011, 6:46 PM 

same news here... southeast minnesota..went out to check a few of my early spots, hoping to see a small grey but no luck..... heard news from people finding some black and greys here and there in southern minnesota but nothing to travel for.

Respond to this message   
Bigjimmy
(no login)

anything?

April 17 2007, 2:49 PM 

I'm still new to the mushroom game, but after checking where i found them last year and some new spots- nuthin yet.

Respond to this message   
Teri
(no login)

New to MN

April 22 2007, 11:06 AM 

I'm new to MN (Grand Rapids) and would love to hunt for morels. I had them once when I lived in Missouri and they were fabulous. Can any fellow Minnesota residents give me tips on where and when I can try to find them?
Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Teresa M.
(no login)

Re: New to MN

April 25 2007, 5:39 PM 

Hi Teri--In the northern part of Minnesota where you are, you're more likely to see black morels, in the pines, than the lighter morels which are often found on dead elm, apple trees etc. You're also going to be later than folks in southern MN, obviously. Watch local lilac bushes. When they start to develop flowers, get into the woods and start looking; when the lilacs open is the classic time to be picking (and this usually holds true for me in the Mpls/St Paul area). But, train your eye to look for the dark morels, which are harder to see. I have even found them growing under pines near the shoreline of some of the northern lakes. Good luck!

Respond to this message   
superdave
(no login)

also new to mn

April 21 2008, 7:53 PM 

hi i've been hunting morel's for many years mostly in northern mich i curently live in lac qui parle co. has any one ever heard of any finding in this county???? any info on this would be great thanks

Respond to this message   
Anna Simmons
(no login)

Morels just popping now

April 29 2007, 10:34 PM 

Greetings,

I've been checking my woods for the past week and today I finally found a few patches of itty bitty Grays. They are only about an inch tall now, but they're starting to grow here in Winona.

Respond to this message   
judyMN
(no login)

I keep looking

April 30 2007, 10:06 AM 

Spent alot of time looking yesterday but no sign yet in central MN. Its very dry out in the woods.

Respond to this message   
Dent
(no login)

Found a few small greys!!!

April 30 2007, 11:42 AM 

Went out on Sunday for an hour just to check a couple places from last year. I did find 3 very small greys poking through the leaves. I sure hope we get some rain today! With some moisture I think we would be in heaven! Quick question, can you find greys and yellows under the same trees? I have only been shroom hunting for 3 years and it seems there are places that I find greys early in the season and there are places that I have found yellows a little later, but never in the same places that I found the greys???? Anyone else want to comment on that?

Respond to this message   
Mike
(no login)

MN morel findings April 30th 2007

May 1 2007, 5:23 AM 

My Story:

I found 18 fairly good size Morels today. They were on the down side quality wise, tops where burnt and dried. Very thick and meaty with good size diameter. I think they had been hiding out for at least a week. South face open area steep hill side. Ground was light grass, some rock and dirt.

I also found four other very fresh morels in not quite the same exposure to the sun. I left them for observation. Yes, I'll be going back to pick...

If you go out the next few days you need to look for hill sides facing south, dead elms with bark rolling off in the opener areas will be best. Ground moss seems to help hold shrooms fresher and longer also keeps the dirt out of pours. I'll be looking daily for the next three to four weeks.

"LIFE BEGINS WHEN THE SEASON STARTS

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Northern MN

May 4 2007, 11:04 AM 

We usually don't find much around here until appx Mothers Day. Last year a bit earlier, but on average, Mothers Day is a good indicator. Wath for the warmer nights, we haven't had much above lower 40s for nights but once we got up to near 50 at night, THEN they will start to pop. In NWMN, we find blacks, greys and golds. Last year was a tough one for blacks (under pines, edge of poplar stands) as it was too dry - golds and browns were more than abundant (gravel pits, gravely roadsides) -In the northern part of the state waiting until the lilacs open could put you WAY too late - a lot of them don't really bloom until closer to Memorial Day around here. Watching the temps is the best indicator up here - days at least in the 60s, AND nights in the high 40s or better yet 50s. We harvested probably 30 pounds last year in 2 days without much trying.

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Found some!

May 6 2007, 3:29 PM 

I was correct though, it is early due to the cool nights. I found two very small grays in a protected spot on the south side of a gravel road. We have had rain for 3 days straight now so with a bit of warmth (due Monday/Tuesday) we should get some real sightings by Mothers Day weekend.

Respond to this message   
Erik
(no login)

First finds in Grand Rapids

May 11 2007, 3:46 PM 

Found the first ones this year right in my flower bed. Right under a large Cedar.

Respond to this message   
Jim Morel
(no login)

Minnesota mushrooms 07

May 6 2007, 9:13 PM 

Hello the hunt is on. I found 24 small greys near the cities on friday. Near the edge of the woods nothing in the interior yet. I did travel to Whitewater in south eastern MN today Sunday and picked 130 in 4 hours. I was very happy to find 45 white morels as I have only found them 2 times before. I hae been hunting for 25 years now and usually have 40 to 60 pounds a year. I love to dry at least half for the winter and morel dip for deer hunting camp. good luck they should really pop in the woods by friday. Jim

Respond to this message   
KAO
(no login)

Newbee

May 7 2007, 11:21 AM 

Hi Jim ~ I live in the Whitewater area..was out a bit yesterday (May 6th also) but no luck for my FIRST try...any suggestions or hints? Suppose there are none to be found now that you were here (haha)

Whitewater NewBee

Respond to this message   
Dustin
(no login)

Jim Morel

May 7 2007, 10:35 PM 

Could you help me out with looking in Whitewater? I have been there a few times now and haven't been able to find much. I live in the Twin Cities and I have yet to find any around. Any help would be great.

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Black Morels Found!

May 8 2007, 9:38 AM 

We will be back on the hunt this evening. Another fellow hunter close by found 50 blacks in small clusters last evening. His comment was that they were found "in unusual areas, clustered up" meaning he looked in his favorite spots and nothing, then spotted these. Nothing in the woods yet for anyone, but along gravel roads, etc.

Respond to this message   
Paul Beedle
(no login)

Minnesota sitings - Northwest Anoka County

May 9 2007, 8:11 PM 

Finally!! Northwest of Minneapolis in the tri-county area (Anoka, Isanti, Sherberne) where the weather has been so strange, I found a dozen morels this morning. I got eleven blacks and one "tender" yellow. Last night as I watched the rains miss us again to the south, I was afraid I would never see one of the flavorful blacks. I categorize our morels in three categories. First to appear are the black (or gray) morels that some people think to taste a bit "gamey" but I think have a wonderful flavor. Second to appear are the smaller yellow morels with a tight "cerebrum" that have a very good flavor and are the crowd favorite. Third, signalling the close of the morel season are what my father called "elephant ears"... large yellow mushrooms that are exciting to find due to their size, but are kind of bland and a bit tough. Thank God for dew!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com