Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Minnesota Morel Sightings

April 15 2007 at 8:33 AM
TheGreatMorel  (Login thegreatmorel)
Forum Owner

a place for Minnesota shroomers to report.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
judyMN
(no login)

Any reports for MN yet?

April 17 2007, 11:53 AM 

Sure seems like we should have seen some news on them already. I took a peak in my spots last weekend but didnt see anything yet. Im very anxious for them.

Respond to this message   

(Login sgatorg61)

Found some!

May 23 2007, 3:34 PM 

Found two garbage sacks full today. I didn't have anymore sacks otherwise i would have filled more, i'm going back tommarow. Good luck hunting!

Respond to this message   

(Login th000zm)

hmm

May 4 2011, 6:46 PM 

same news here... southeast minnesota..went out to check a few of my early spots, hoping to see a small grey but no luck..... heard news from people finding some black and greys here and there in southern minnesota but nothing to travel for.

Respond to this message   
Bigjimmy
(no login)

anything?

April 17 2007, 2:49 PM 

I'm still new to the mushroom game, but after checking where i found them last year and some new spots- nuthin yet.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

New to MN

April 22 2007, 11:06 AM 

I'm new to MN (Grand Rapids) and would love to hunt for morels. I had them once when I lived in Missouri and they were fabulous. Can any fellow Minnesota residents give me tips on where and when I can try to find them?
Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Teresa M.
(no login)

Re: New to MN

April 25 2007, 5:39 PM 

Hi Teri--In the northern part of Minnesota where you are, you're more likely to see black morels, in the pines, than the lighter morels which are often found on dead elm, apple trees etc. You're also going to be later than folks in southern MN, obviously. Watch local lilac bushes. When they start to develop flowers, get into the woods and start looking; when the lilacs open is the classic time to be picking (and this usually holds true for me in the Mpls/St Paul area). But, train your eye to look for the dark morels, which are harder to see. I have even found them growing under pines near the shoreline of some of the northern lakes. Good luck!

Respond to this message   
superdave
(no login)

also new to mn

April 21 2008, 7:53 PM 

hi i've been hunting morel's for many years mostly in northern mich i curently live in lac qui parle co. has any one ever heard of any finding in this county???? any info on this would be great thanks

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Morels just popping now

April 29 2007, 10:34 PM 

Greetings,

I've been checking my woods for the past week and today I finally found a few patches of itty bitty Grays. They are only about an inch tall now, but they're starting to grow here in Winona.

Respond to this message   
judyMN
(no login)

I keep looking

April 30 2007, 10:06 AM 

Spent alot of time looking yesterday but no sign yet in central MN. Its very dry out in the woods.

Respond to this message   
Dent
(no login)

Found a few small greys!!!

April 30 2007, 11:42 AM 

Went out on Sunday for an hour just to check a couple places from last year. I did find 3 very small greys poking through the leaves. I sure hope we get some rain today! With some moisture I think we would be in heaven! Quick question, can you find greys and yellows under the same trees? I have only been shroom hunting for 3 years and it seems there are places that I find greys early in the season and there are places that I have found yellows a little later, but never in the same places that I found the greys???? Anyone else want to comment on that?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

MN morel findings April 30th 2007

May 1 2007, 5:23 AM 

My Story:

I found 18 fairly good size Morels today. They were on the down side quality wise, tops where burnt and dried. Very thick and meaty with good size diameter. I think they had been hiding out for at least a week. South face open area steep hill side. Ground was light grass, some rock and dirt.

I also found four other very fresh morels in not quite the same exposure to the sun. I left them for observation. Yes, I'll be going back to pick...

If you go out the next few days you need to look for hill sides facing south, dead elms with bark rolling off in the opener areas will be best. Ground moss seems to help hold shrooms fresher and longer also keeps the dirt out of pours. I'll be looking daily for the next three to four weeks.

"LIFE BEGINS WHEN THE SEASON STARTS

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Northern MN

May 4 2007, 11:04 AM 

We usually don't find much around here until appx Mothers Day. Last year a bit earlier, but on average, Mothers Day is a good indicator. Wath for the warmer nights, we haven't had much above lower 40s for nights but once we got up to near 50 at night, THEN they will start to pop. In NWMN, we find blacks, greys and golds. Last year was a tough one for blacks (under pines, edge of poplar stands) as it was too dry - golds and browns were more than abundant (gravel pits, gravely roadsides) -In the northern part of the state waiting until the lilacs open could put you WAY too late - a lot of them don't really bloom until closer to Memorial Day around here. Watching the temps is the best indicator up here - days at least in the 60s, AND nights in the high 40s or better yet 50s. We harvested probably 30 pounds last year in 2 days without much trying.

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Found some!

May 6 2007, 3:29 PM 

I was correct though, it is early due to the cool nights. I found two very small grays in a protected spot on the south side of a gravel road. We have had rain for 3 days straight now so with a bit of warmth (due Monday/Tuesday) we should get some real sightings by Mothers Day weekend.

Respond to this message   
Erik
(no login)

First finds in Grand Rapids

May 11 2007, 3:46 PM 

Found the first ones this year right in my flower bed. Right under a large Cedar.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Minnesota mushrooms 07

May 6 2007, 9:13 PM 

Hello the hunt is on. I found 24 small greys near the cities on friday. Near the edge of the woods nothing in the interior yet. I did travel to Whitewater in south eastern MN today Sunday and picked 130 in 4 hours. I was very happy to find 45 white morels as I have only found them 2 times before. I hae been hunting for 25 years now and usually have 40 to 60 pounds a year. I love to dry at least half for the winter and morel dip for deer hunting camp. good luck they should really pop in the woods by friday. Jim

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Newbee

May 7 2007, 11:21 AM 

Hi Jim ~ I live in the Whitewater area..was out a bit yesterday (May 6th also) but no luck for my FIRST try...any suggestions or hints? Suppose there are none to be found now that you were here (haha)

Whitewater NewBee

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Jim Morel

May 7 2007, 10:35 PM 

Could you help me out with looking in Whitewater? I have been there a few times now and haven't been able to find much. I live in the Twin Cities and I have yet to find any around. Any help would be great.

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

Black Morels Found!

May 8 2007, 9:38 AM 

We will be back on the hunt this evening. Another fellow hunter close by found 50 blacks in small clusters last evening. His comment was that they were found "in unusual areas, clustered up" meaning he looked in his favorite spots and nothing, then spotted these. Nothing in the woods yet for anyone, but along gravel roads, etc.

Respond to this message   
Paul Beedle
(no login)

Minnesota sitings - Northwest Anoka County

May 9 2007, 8:11 PM 

Finally!! Northwest of Minneapolis in the tri-county area (Anoka, Isanti, Sherberne) where the weather has been so strange, I found a dozen morels this morning. I got eleven blacks and one "tender" yellow. Last night as I watched the rains miss us again to the south, I was afraid I would never see one of the flavorful blacks. I categorize our morels in three categories. First to appear are the black (or gray) morels that some people think to taste a bit "gamey" but I think have a wonderful flavor. Second to appear are the smaller yellow morels with a tight "cerebrum" that have a very good flavor and are the crowd favorite. Third, signalling the close of the morel season are what my father called "elephant ears"... large yellow mushrooms that are exciting to find due to their size, but are kind of bland and a bit tough. Thank God for dew!

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

They are late but starting to pop

May 10 2007, 12:28 PM 

We did another search last night after 2 days in a row of very warm weather (80s-90s) up here in the corner of the state. We figured that should get them moving. Well, they are appearing but only just.

BTW, we believe that the Black Morels are the BEST tasting of the bunch - nutty and a bit mossy, but better than the rest. They are also the hardest to find up here -last year we only got 4 compared to MANY MANY pounds of the tans and yellows. Even though we got 2" rain over last weekend, we think the still very dry ground is one of the things holding back the good shroom explosions.

Respond to this message   
darren hooley
(no login)

Olmsted County is good to go

May 10 2007, 10:57 PM 

Just went out to a local county park tonight and found around 80 or so. Mostly the grays but some yellows as well. They were hard picking since they were hiding under the brush which is very thick with the recent warm weather (i.e. 70-80s) and some rain. Went with my dad which is allot of fun since he is like a kid in a candy shop once we start finding them. Nothing like it for sure. Morels rule! :)

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Olmsted county?

May 11 2007, 1:07 PM 

Darren...what rain are you referring to? We haven't had much of any rain to speak of in the past week and a half. This are very dry! Congrats on finding a few. I am hope that you are right, but from what I have seen, the conditions don't look very good.

Respond to this message   
darren
(no login)

Olmsted morels

May 12 2007, 7:05 AM 

Hi Lars,

Last week it did rain a third of an inch out West of Rochester which did apparently allow me to get the first round of them as previously mentioned. I went out again yesterday and looked around allot and didn't see a thing except around one elm tree which had about 60 morels all within a 20 ft. diameter. That was very exciting and made my day for sure, but everywhere else that I looked was not very good. Also, the ones that I have been finding are the grays so perhaps the yellows are coming yet. Last year I found them as late as the last week of May almost into June which I thought was unusual. You are right that we could use a little more rain to get more to come out. I'll probably head out one more time or two before its all over for the season. Good luck in your search.
Darren

Respond to this message   
Lars
(no login)

Re: Olmsted morels

May 13 2007, 1:13 AM 

Darren,
Thanks for your response. Glad to hear you have been finding a few. A nice find like that goes a long way. We found a few today southeast of Rochester. I hope we get rain on Monday like they are prediciting.

Respond to this message   
NEMNMOM
(no login)

BJ

May 13 2007, 9:52 AM 

Hi, we live in northeastern MN, has anyone found any north of Duluth? Have been out for the last 2 weeks and not one yet, we have not had any rain and frustrated with how cool it has been. Our lilac bushes are on the verge of blooming, we will look again tomorrow. any help finding them, from anybody?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

northern MN hunt is on

May 14 2007, 5:18 PM 

the wife,her dad and i picked 11lbs of blacks sat. and sun. in north central mn. mostly around small poplars.if we get rain theyll really explode. skipped the fishing opener here in MN to go on my 1st morel hunt i couldnt be happier with that decision

Respond to this message   

(no login)

found some in Palisade MN.

May 14 2007, 5:19 PM 

I Found Two today in the white elk area of Palisade MN.
That's a good start. Good luck to all.

Respond to this message   
big jimmy
(no login)

Finally

May 14 2007, 6:02 PM 

Got lucky and caught about a dozen yellows just before they dried up- on a sunny hill with lots of shaded spots

Respond to this message   
NWMNMom
(no login)

LOTS of black morels

May 15 2007, 10:40 PM 

Well I did some multi-area picking this weekend. I hit the Bigfork area and found a bowlfull of medium to small black morels. When I returned on Sunday to NWMN my family and I loaded up on over 8lbs of very NICE sized black morels just within 500' radius of our house (surrounded by poplars) - many of them were over 6". What a jackpot for an area we usually struggle to find more than a dozen black morels in.

We had been hitting our usual spots where we load up on golds, greys, etc., and that was a bust this year with a few dried out specimens as the gravelly roadside areas and gravel pits are just too dry for them this year, but the blacks we filled up on more than made up for that. Almost all of them were found at or near the inside edge of poplar woods, sometimes on mossy humps and usually facing to the north or west. I would guess that if we expanded our search area, we could really load up but I am running out of room to keep them in the freezer and we have eaten oodles already. I hope they will still be there in 2 days when we head out again. Good hunting to all!

Respond to this message   
Erik
(no login)

NNNNNNWMN

May 24 2007, 8:21 PM 

Went out today along the border with Canada, never picked so many!!!! So late in the year, but they are out and about here.

Respond to this message   
LaurieB
(Login Laurieb2851)

Morel in Minnesota

January 8 2008, 11:30 AM 

Hi! I'm new to the forum. (Considering the time of year perhaps no one will even be here to see my post here.) I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Upon learning of the Morel mushroom after watching an episode of Cash & Treasure on the Travel Channel, I've decided that come spring I am going to start looking for the Morel mushroom. I still have a few more months unfortunately to prepare for that. Heck, for all I know my hubby just might have been mowing these down in our yard all along before they even have the opportunity to raise their little heads.

I'm glad to find this forum. Come spring when I get ready to embark on hunting the Morel, I will likely find it quite enjoyable to come here to the forum and discuss not only my findings, but yours as well. I just might have some questions too. With all that has been said about wild mushroom hunting, I sure don't want to make any mistakes. I am going to go to the grocery store today to see close up and personal what a Morel mushroom looks like (and of course taste them too). Now wouldn't that be something if I decide to hunt Morels and actually find out that I don't like them? Please tell me that's not possible, lol!

Laurie

Respond to this message   
David
(Login Maine_Morels)

Welcome to the world of Morel hunting!

January 10 2008, 4:39 PM 

As a life long collector of Gems and Minerals I was so suprised to see a show on Morels.

Once you get Morel hunting in you system there's no going back. As for you wondering if you would like them. The taste is out of this world. I was shocked to see them on the Travel channel show putting the flour on the mushrooms before frying. Fried in butter and nothing else is the way to go.

Good luck on finding your first batch this year.

dave

Respond to this message   

(Login Laurieb2851)

Re: Welcome to the world of Morel hunting!

January 14 2008, 12:46 PM 

Hi Dave. Thanks much for the good luck wishes. I ended up going to the grocery store with the intent of getting some Morel mushrooms for tasting and getting a good look at them. I ended up finding 1 ounce packages for $9.99. Nope, I didn't buy them because of the sticker shock.

We had an elm die in our front yard. I know there has been mushrooms growing in the area where the tree was, but hubby has been mowing them down. Speaking of the elm trees, it's really sad so many of our elms have died. On Lexington Avenue in St. Paul the elms were beautiful the way they would grow along the boulevards and create a beautiful canopy of sorts. Almost all of them have died on our street. I don't think they had much of a root system because I've seen a few fall during a storm. My mother heard one getting ready to fall and tried coaxing the tree to fall on the car that they had at the time that she just hated. Of course it missed.

Here's hoping spring comes soon and the Morels are plentiful!

Thanks!

Laurie

Respond to this message   
(Login Maine_Morels)

Packaged Morels

January 14 2008, 7:00 PM 

Good choice on saving your money. The packaged Morels we get here in Maine are from Asia. I find them very gritty. You should have no problem finding pounds where you live. Just Remember to start looking a little before the Mayapple blossoms, the oak leaves are small. Don't forget to check out Old Apple Orchards! Once you get a taste of Morel and the thrill of finding your first batch you'll never be the same. Your Winters will be spent dreaming of those first days of spring and plotting new secret spots. Once you get the handg of this Fungus you may want to try hunting for Black Trumpets.

dave

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Welcome to the world of Morel hunting!

February 6 2008, 3:44 PM 

An ounce will rehydrate to at least 8 oz. of morels, so
that's a pretty reasonable price. Soak for around a half
hour, and they will pretty much fry up just like fresh.

It may also be a good idea to try them to see if you are
allergic to them. It would be even more unfortunate if
you found a lot of them later and COULD not eat them!

Respond to this message   

(Login Laurieb2851)

Allergies

February 25 2008, 8:23 PM 

Other then outright eating the morels, how do you find out if you're allergic to them? I haven't been allergic to anything other then codene which is a med. Otherwise, if there's anything else I'm allergic to, I don't know about it. My husband ate a meal that contained portabellie mushrooms and he got sick. Perhaps it was an allergic reaction to a mushroom he hasn't eaten before or maybe the food was just bad. The only mushrooms I've eaten are those usual ones they sell in the grocery store and I love them. I was watching a few videos on Youtube and someone had filmed their Morel mushroom hunt. They wern't finding any Morel mushrooms, but they did find look-alikes. I gathered that if you wern't going to have an allergic reaction to the look-alikes, you can eat those as well.

When ever I think of hunting mushrooms I think of the movie that Clint Eastwood was in where an odd group of women fed him some poison mushrooms.

Respond to this message   
New Hunter
(no login)

How do they keep??

April 22 2008, 11:20 AM 

Pretty new to the game but I was wondering how can morels be stored for later use? Obviously nothin' beats fresh but I get conflicting reports on how a person can store them. Canned, frozen, dried and not have to worry about the toxins. Any help? Im guessing it will be a week or two here in southern MN due to the cool spring but I hope its sooner than later!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Minnesota Morel Sightings
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com