Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Jersey Morel Sightings

May 3 2007 at 12:31 PM
  (no login)

May 3, 2007
After we chased a black bear out of our favorite spot, we found 15 or so just barely breaking ground. We will check again on Sunday and report back. Location: Warren County, Delaware River Water Gap area

This message has been edited by thegreatmorel on May 14, 2007 5:19 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nancy
(no login)

Warren & Sussex Counties

May 10 2007, 8:55 AM 

We went back out Sunday. Loads more sighted but weren't ready to harvest. Will be going out again today.

Respond to this message   
Misty Sidoti
(no login)

Found one huge morel, Sussex NJ

May 18 2008, 7:34 AM 

I found one huge morel (8") under a dying ash here in Green Township, Sussex County. I searched my property 3 days ago and found none, I was on vacation the last two weeks and thought I completely missed them. I'm going out to look for more today.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

nj morels

May 14 2007, 5:16 PM 

picked morels on Sunday 5/13/07. Just starting to come up in my hunting area. going back in a few days to check again. Warren County

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ mushrooms

May 16 2007, 11:56 AM 

found 40 today in a short time (went after work). all really nice. have some nice pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them, email me and i will send them over. Any one from NJ on the board ever pick chanterelles in NJ? was wondering if they grow here. well good evening to all.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

morels

April 9 2008, 8:41 AM 

I have never found a morel in New Jersey, stationed at mcguire afb. All the guys give me a heard time on mushroom hunting. Really miss the taste of them. thought they where no existent here untill i found this thread. Know any spots in central jersey?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

morel mushrooms

April 10 2008, 9:57 AM 

Where are you located? (county).

Respond to this message   

(no login)

county

April 17 2008, 11:49 AM 

I think I am in burlington county

Respond to this message   

(Login fafaflunky)

Try this spot

April 27 2008, 10:40 AM 

Try the assumpink wma area located in upper freehold,about 25 min from mcguire AFB

Respond to this message   

(no login)

mcguire afb

April 17 2008, 8:43 AM 

My sister and and brother in laws are going to be stationed there in a 2 months, any morels around that area?

Respond to this message   
brice
(no login)

not yet

April 17 2008, 11:53 AM 

I have been here 5 years and have not found one yet but who knows probably hitting the wrong patches been talking to a couple of local farmers and getting permishin to look on them

Respond to this message   
shelly
(no login)

brice-NJ morels

April 24 2008, 10:01 AM 

How far from Mercer County ( Princeton area) are you? If not far, scope out wooded area's, parks, etc. might have some luck. Check out Morelmania.com and keep an eye on area to see if anyone is finding there yet. Good Luck.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

chanterelles

May 16 2008, 2:04 PM 

we have found chanterelles and trumpets de mort in Essex and Morris County in July and August for the last several years

Respond to this message   
shelly
(no login)

NJ morels

April 28 2008, 11:29 AM 

went out yesturday for a at least 2 hours and gave up. Raining alot today so i will give it a shot on around Wednesday. Might be too soon.

Respond to this message   
shelly
(no login)

NJ Morels found

May 1 2008, 12:50 PM 

I did not find myself but my brother just called to tell me he just found 6 morels around a Tulip Poplar tree in his back yard. So Im going out tomarrow to start checking some area's. He lives in Sussex County. I will post after my hunting. I did go out on Sunday in His area and found nothing so i believe they are just starting in that area.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Warren Co., NJ

May 2 2008, 5:54 PM 

We went out yesterday AM and came home with 32 good-sized early ones. They are justing starting to pop in the Delaware Water Gap area. We also found ours in woodland Tulip tree groves. We will be checking every other day and will be heading over to the PA side of the river as well.

Nancy

Respond to this message   
shelly
(no login)

NJ Morels

May 3 2008, 9:16 AM 

Nancy, your back! welcome. Decided to stay in NJ? last time i talked to you, you were getting ready to move down south. Keep in touch on the board. I went out on Friday after my brother found in his yard, I found only 3 morels, Do you think its still too cold here? keep in touch.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ morels Greys and Half Free

May 6 2008, 1:06 PM 

Found 3 greys along a deer path ( very small) and 9 what i think are half free. I am starting my 2008 morel journel with pictures. As soon as I do some serious picking ( and findings) i will post with the pictures. Still very slow coming up this year. Hope it gets better, weather is looking very promissing and temps are staying in a steady 70. I will stay tuned. good luck to all and happy spring!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ morels are finally here NICE SWEET!

May 8 2008, 11:17 AM 

Went out 6 am this morning and picked some really nice size blonds. Picked 47 in all. I took pictures (always do, seeing is believing)of the morels and where i picked. If any one is interested in seeing email me. I would also like help on identifying a tree where i picked 11 of the morels by. Also i have a great recipe for stuffed morels if any one is interested in.

Respond to this message   
Nancy, NJ
(no login)

Warren County

May 9 2008, 4:11 PM 

Yes, we are still here. NJ's realestate market isn't doing what we need. We're still looking to head south as soon as possible. So, we are picking morels 3 times a week in NJ instead and loving every minute! What a great long spring. If this weather continues, we might go into June this year! I seriously need to replenish my dried supply after a winter of sauce-making! Will be heading up to Lake Wallenpaupack area next week to see what's up along the way in PA. Will report back.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ Morels

May 9 2008, 10:59 PM 

I hear ya! I just froze some instead of drying this year. I vacuume packed them, i heard that they stay just as good as fresh so i decided to try it. Talk to ya after weekend. Going again tomarrow. Take care.

Respond to this message   
Daniel
(no login)

Still finding any?

May 14 2008, 2:17 AM 

Is anyone still finding morels in NJ? What county?

Respond to this message   
(no login)

Warren County Still Poppin' Up

May 14 2008, 8:04 AM 

Hi Daniel - We are still finding them coming up in Warren County, Delaware Water Gap area. Went out Saturday and came home with 68 of those beauties - some were 6", and that didn't include the stem - we have photos next to a ruler. Going out again today. Nancy

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ Morels

May 14 2008, 3:05 PM 

Went out over the weekend and picked so many blond morels and so many oyster mushrooms, both just came up and are so nice and bug free. My refridge has nothing but mushrooms in it. My family is starting to freak out because I care more about picking mushrooms. I just love this time of year, Dont you? I cooked the oyster mushrooms with peppers and onions and served on sausage sandwiches, delious. I have some good recipes for morels too if any one is interested and have lots of pictures from this year if any one is interested. email me and i will send them
shelly2386@aol.com.
see ya!

Respond to this message   
Nancy
(no login)

Morels & Oysters

May 14 2008, 3:20 PM 

Hey Shelley - Went out again this AM and came home with two bags full of big yellows once again. Also came back with, as you said, beautiful Oysters. I don't remember them being so nice and creamy as they are this year. It's getting close to Chanterelle and Bolette time, so I'm keeping my eyes wide open for signs while I'm out. Dry some of those 'shrooms and use them all winter. Try my sauce recipe on the recipe page. Anyone who has ever had it raves about it and begs for more! I'll let you know when the Chanterelles are ready. He hunt them up by Crater Lake area. It is also a good area for Hen-of-the-Woods & Black Trumpets.

Nancy

Respond to this message   

(Login ozzieh)

NJ MORELS

May 14 2008, 3:30 PM 

I PICK MUSHROOMS TOO IN NJ. NOT MUCH LUCK WITH MORELS. WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE PICTURES FROM SHELLY AND NANCY. EMAIL ME PLEASE. MUCH APPRECIATED.THANKS OZZIE
OZZIEH58@AOL.COM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ morels

May 14 2008, 9:03 PM 

hey ozzie. Let me know if you got the pictures i sent you I also sent you pictures of the woods where i picked some of the morels so that you identify the tree's and woods i pick from. I have no idea what kind of tree's they are ( very slender tree with peeeling bark). Let me know what ya think. where are you located? County? talk to ya soon. take care.

Respond to this message   
Daniel
(no login)

around Princeton

May 14 2008, 9:31 PM 

Went morel hunting around Princeton this afternoon for about an hour, found 10 old yellows. I guess the season is ending :(

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ Morels

May 15 2008, 9:53 AM 

hey, for Princeton area.
I know a group that went out on May 4th for Morels in your area and did well. From what i understand they went out during the peak of the season in your area. So it might be at an end there. My area is a little behind you and we are just peaking now. I belong to the NJ mycology group and they are great if your hobby is Mushroom picking. Its worth the few dollars to join. He can stay on top of mushroom picking and informed on all that NJ brings where Mushrooms are concerned. They have great forays and all sorts of events for us mushroom pickers. Oh well if interested log onto there site. NJMYCO.org
good luck.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ morels

May 18 2008, 10:35 AM 

WOW, there are morels in NJ. Nice pictures. Thanks for the pictures ( shelly&nancy). Sweet. I am going to dedicate myself next season to morel picking. I was always under the impression that there were no morels here. thanks for the tips. I guess its not worth going out now, kinda late but theres next year. internet gotta love it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

nj morels

May 18 2008, 10:05 PM 

hello all,
I have never found a chanterelle in NJ. I do know the time for chanterelles ( orange one) here is July because I know some shroomers that pick them in July and always give me some ( I give them morels, they give me chanterelles) its kinda of funny though because niether of us will give up our spots so we share. But low and behold every July ( middle of month to end) they give me a huge bag of chanterelles. I think that its funny, I wont tell them where i pick the morels and they wont tell me where they pick the chanterelles so we just share our picks. hen of the woods, honey mushrooms, oysters, boletes are abundant where i live. Sept-Oct. I pick bags full of them. too much sometimes. I get sick of cleaning them and preserving them. Give alot away. oh well any tips on chanterelles ( what kind of grounds) is appreciated. dont want your spots, just a tip . thanks

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Chaterelles

May 19 2008, 4:48 PM 

Hey Shelly - If you check my message postings, we find them up by Crater Lake - on the way up all over the side of the road on the banks. We find them earlier than July! These are our next 'shrooms to pick. Crater Lake area is great for the Black Trumpets as well - those are in July. There are numerous old road cuts through the woodlands in this area. The Black Trumpets(black chanterelle)are all along the woodland roadways in the Black Birch areas. You will find all different kinds of shrooms in this area, especially to the left between Blue Mt. Lakes and Crater Lake. Lots of Black Bear as well, so take a friend and make lots of noise. There are plenty so I have no problem sharing the location. Nancy

Respond to this message   

(no login)

NJ Mushrooms

May 19 2008, 12:03 PM 

Thank you jdanish for your email. I appreciate it. Now i know the mystery tree's. I have been finding morels under those tree's for the past 5 years but never knew what kind of tree they are. Talk to ya soon.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New Jersey Morel Sightings
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com