Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

iowa

April 14 2010 at 7:20 PM
  (Login ninecats)

has anyone been finding anything in Iowa??

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login NibiruRising)

Iowa

April 14 2010, 9:44 PM 

Not yet. I think it's just too dry. The rain is still west of us but hopefully in the next week it'll get wet around here. Good luck.

Respond to this message   

(Login Derree)

Soon

April 14 2010, 11:49 PM 

We received some rain here near Sioux City Iowa today. I would expect to see them popping any day now. I hope everyone finds the honeys holes full and there beer boxes empty =)

Respond to this message   

(Login applemath)

small blacks

April 15 2010, 8:39 AM 

Found about a dozen small blacks in polk county north of DesMoines.

Respond to this message   
oat
(Login craigleg)

Found a few but we need some rain

April 15 2010, 8:56 AM 

Found a few just north of the Quad cities. Little greys, need some rain and they will pop

Respond to this message   

(Login tobynemo)

Big Creek

April 15 2010, 5:16 PM 

Has any one been out around big creek yet?

Respond to this message   

(Login mzldr4life)

Re: Big Creek

April 18 2010, 1:12 AM 

Dan, my brothers and I have found about 200 in the last two days in big creek. lots of grays and a few yellows all about 2 inches

Respond to this message   

(Login tobynemo)

Big creek

April 18 2010, 8:51 AM 

Thanks Chris,

I think I'm headed that way today, Hopefully i will do as well as you and your brothers!

Respond to this message   

(Login mzldr4life)

April 18 2010, 1:13 AM 

Dan, my brothers and I have found about 200 in the last two days in big creek. lots of grays and a few yellows all about 2 inches

Respond to this message   

(Login mzldr4life)

Respond to this message   

(Login tobynemo)

Big creek

April 18 2010, 7:01 PM 

Chris,

Just got done cleaning half a dozen 13" black crappies and around 2 to 3 pounds of mushrooms. Mushrooms came form Big Creek, crappies came form Ada Hayden in Ames.I think were a week away from it being gang busters. Hope we get some rain.

Respond to this message   

(Login tobynemo)

Big creek

April 18 2010, 7:02 PM 

Chris,

Just got done cleaning half a dozen 13" black crappies and around 2 to 3 pounds of mushrooms. Mushrooms came form Big Creek, crappies came form Ada Hayden in Ames.I think were a week away from it being gang busters. Hope we get some rain.

Respond to this message   

(Login tobynemo)

Big creek

April 18 2010, 7:03 PM 

Chris,

Respond to this message   

(Login mzldr4life)

Respond to this message   

(Login TexasShroomer)

yes

April 17 2010, 11:27 AM 

Finding morels in mushrooms in council bluffs iowa

Respond to this message   

(Login peachesdove)

Re: iowa

April 17 2010, 9:11 PM 

found some little blacks In Dallas county.

Respond to this message   
dontntcabs
(Login dontntcabs)

I think im pushin it

April 18 2010, 10:53 AM 

Going out north of Omaha , Prob for a nice walk.. ive got the fever

Respond to this message   

(Login iowaguy32)

April 20 2010, 1:21 PM 

found around 4 lbs of greys and yellows since last thursday in SW Iowa. a little more rain this week and we could see a bumper crop thats already gotten off to a great start!

Respond to this message   

(Login PJIowa3)

new to this

April 20 2010, 7:59 PM 

I found what appears to be a mushroom, actually 3, but they really do not have the sponge appearance. The head is more flat and smooth but almost has a sponge look to it on the top in middle, brown in color. The stem looks like a regular mushroom stem. Trying to download photo from phone to post.

Message from The Great Morel: The Great morel strongly suggests you visit the False Morel page. The Great Morel is not intended to be a mushroom identifying page, but one should make sure they are familiar with the characteristics of the often mis-indentified "false morel".

Also, The Great Morel suggests that you do not attempt to ingest any type of mushroom you are unfamiliar with.

Please visit the false morel page for more detail.

This message has been edited by thegreatmorel on Apr 21, 2010 10:14 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login NibiruRising)

your find.

April 20 2010, 8:02 PM 

Rule #1. Don't eat it until you know exactly what it is. It sounds like a false morel. Send me a pic.

Respond to this message   

(Login PJIowa3)

Re: your find.

April 20 2010, 8:16 PM 

For some reason, I can not open the picture on my e-mail that I sent from my phone. Has always worked in the past...technology!

Respond to this message   

(Login PJIowa3)

Re: your find.

April 21 2010, 11:01 AM 

Thanks for the info. I am going with them being the false morel. They will be going in the trash when I get home. Hopefully I can find some good ones next time I get out.

Respond to this message   

(Login dcv1983)

Shrooms

April 21 2010, 11:42 PM 

So I was wondering if you find alot under 1 tree in the season early like now will there be more there in a few days or so? I was also wondering if I found just 1 in a timber can I count on more being there?

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login aemalone)

Re: Shrooms

April 22 2010, 7:50 PM 

Just remember this "There are bold mushroom hunters, BUT there are no OLD Bold mushroom hunters" If you don't know what it is 100% don't eat it !

Respond to this message   

(Login downsouthsal)

100% sure !!

May 5 2010, 11:08 AM 

That is the only way to mushroom. 100% sure!! Tony that saying hit sooooo close to home. I live for that saying. I will be an OLD mushroom hunter! I have 17 different edible mushroom that I have found. 16 of them I have tried, some good some not so good......but my 17th one I sill will not eat and I am 100% sure it is velvet foot. I had did spore prints BUT with the look-a-like being galerina. I can't bring myself to try them.:(
Anyone can call me a chicken but....I WILL BE AN OLD MUSHROOM HUNTER :)

the morels have been GREAT IN MINNESOTA this year. Look for the oyster (pleurtus ostreatus) I have found them also :)

RAIN IS A GOOD THING

Respond to this message   
(Login 13pete)

Pete

April 22 2010, 9:09 PM 

found some greys and a few small yellows in Des Moines. We need rain

Respond to this message   

(Login mclingan)

Few Small Grays

April 22 2010, 10:29 PM 

April 17, 2010
Found about a dozen small Grays.
Slightly west of Ames, Iowa.
Need rain!

Respond to this message   

(Login NibiruRising)

Iowa

April 24 2010, 9:25 PM 

I found about 15 nice yellows around Polk City today. And 3 half frees. It should get better for a few days at least after the rain. Good luck.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(Login wolfman1973)

Re: Iowa

April 28 2010, 9:53 PM 

found about 3 pounds at backbone state park today and most were big yellows

Respond to this message   
rex hall
(Login applemath)

shrooms

April 29 2010, 10:00 AM 

My son and I went yesterday and found about 12 pounds Those on the south slopes were dried up ,on the flats were large yellows and north slopes were the blacks and greys which were very fresh. Normally our peak here is May 5th to the 10th. Very early and appears to be about at its peak now. Although the north slopes should be good for another weak. These were found in boone county north of DesMoines.

Respond to this message   

(Login meg54)

May 1 2010, 7:00 PM 

eating some as we speak

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - iowa
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com