Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

middle tennessee morels

March 11 2011 at 10:30 AM
tim ramey  (Login timramey)

hello, just checked an old favorite spot and found my first black morel just coming up! did not pick it but left it to grow! they usually get quite big in this spot.i did not walk around in the spot for fear of stepping on any just coming up. believe it will still be a while here before any are big enough to gather.gonna be a good season.i have heard that a snowy winter results in a good morel year so we will see how this works out. hope you all have a good season! tim ramey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

Re: middle tennessee morels

March 16 2011, 3:56 PM 

Tim, thanks for the info. I looked last saturday and didn't see anything. I think I'll go back this afternoon and check again. I am also in middle Tn.

Respond to this message   
cathysue
(Login cathysue)

March 18 2011, 11:59 AM 

your post is very uplifting. i haven't been at this for very long and last year was a disaster. very anxious. think i'll go have a look around tomorrow :)

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

March 27 2011, 7:33 AM 

where are you located at? here in tennessee the season is starting to look very promising! hope you find a lot just dont give up. good hunting! tim

Respond to this message   
Jim from Lexington, KY
(Login dallas050)

Good news!

March 18 2011, 1:05 PM 

The weather has been awesome the last couple of days. The 10 day forecast looks pretty good. I'm going to head to TN next week and look. I have an awesome spot near Clarksville, TN. I haven't looked for blacks there before, but this year I will try it. Thanks again and Happy Hunting!!
Jim

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

todays hunt 3-21-2011

March 21 2011, 6:43 PM 

went hunting this afternoon found one small black morel about an inch tall.woods are pretty dry here now.mayapples are coming up good now.thats all for now. tim

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

yesterdays hunt 3-23-2011

March 25 2011, 7:26 AM 

went to new area to hunt yesterday. found 5 medium blacks growing by a creek bank. the only ones found yesterday. did not find any yellows at all.

Respond to this message   
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

Re: yesterdays hunt 3-23-2011

March 25 2011, 3:58 PM 

I went Wed afternoon and found 2, one good one and one small on. Had to leave due to storm. Went Thursday, (yesterday the 24th) and found 2 more, one good and one small. Finally getting a decent rain today, (Friday) but it is cool. As soon as it warms again there will be shrooms.

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

todays hunt 3-25-2011

March 25 2011, 5:41 PM 

just got back from hunting an old favorite spot. found several black morels that looked like they just came up! i picked 15 of the older looking ones they were pretty good sized ones! also found a few small yellows that had just came up. left these to grow.sure is starting to look like its gonna be a good year for black morels!

Respond to this message   
(Login JimShu)

Tim C & Tim R

March 26 2011, 2:04 PM 

Where are you located? I'm in Clarksville and haven't found anything yet. Your finding them with this cold weather? We had rain finally but thought that it is too cold out for them to come up, just wondering as I am ready to find them. Isn't it too cold out? Thanks

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

cold weather and black morels

March 27 2011, 7:28 AM 

friday morning here there was a pretty good frost it was 27 degrees on my back porch. when it warmed up i went hunting and found several black morels just coming up and only picked 15 that were fully mature. the cold does not seem to bother the early emerging blacks at all from what i have seen. did not go yesterday we had quite a bit of rain here in perry county yesterday and it stayed quiet cool all day here.just south of here the hail covered the ground like snow.had not seen that much hail accumulate in several years. if i can i will hunt in that area and see what effect the storm had on mushrooms in that area. dont give up if you keep at it you will find some! good hunting to you! tim

Respond to this message   
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

Re: Tim C & Tim R

March 28 2011, 12:17 PM 

I live about 20 miles east of you. Pleasant View/Coopertown area.

I found another two blacks an I am checking my best spots. We needed a rain then some warm weather, it had been kind of dry and now it is a little to cool. As soon as we have two warm days in a row, I think you will find plenty.

Like Tim R, I am thinking this is going to be a great year.

Respond to this message   
JimShu
(Login JimShu)

Thanks

March 28 2011, 1:22 PM 

Thanks for your responses. It has turned cold so quit looking as I thought they wouldn't come up when its this cold out. Still checking in my yard where they have come up every year and still have found nothing. Also went out into the woods a couple of time and found nothing, not even toadstools, no fungus of any kind which was another reason I was thinking it was still a little early. Sure hope for an outstanding season this year.....Turn Warmer!!!

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

yesterdays hunt 3-28-2011

March 29 2011, 6:02 AM 

went yesterday a.m. to check the first black morel i found march 11 to check its progress and it was fully mature and had grown a lot in size. this spot yesterday yielded 97 very good morels:92 blacks-4 half free morels and one small yellow.some of the blacks were 6 inches tall! the 4 half free morels were the first i found in 2 years.i left several yellows that were just coming up. later went to another spot and picked 26 blacks a very good day of hunting!they are really coming this season! good hunting all! tim

Respond to this message   
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

I agree,

March 29 2011, 9:54 AM 

It is going to be a good year, We picked 105 after work yesterday, and left a few small black to grow. Also found 2 small greys. I'll be hitting the woods ever afternoon and may take off work.

Respond to this message   
nick
(Login FISHHUNTNICK)

morel

March 29 2011, 4:50 PM 

i live in sparta tn just wonderd where the best places to look in tn are? there are false morels everywhere do they grow in the same spots? Is the season still too early? I have been out looking alot! tons of shroom growth everywhere walked creek beds to high on ridges nothing in the spot i found some last year any advise would really help! thanks!

Respond to this message   
JimShu
(Login JimShu)

Nick

March 29 2011, 5:43 PM 

Same here, haven't found anything....yet I hope. At least your finding some fungus growth as I haven't. Can't wait till I find my first one this year. Good luck to ya, It started raining here about an hour ago so hope that helps us out.

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

yesterdays hunt 3-29-2011

March 30 2011, 7:26 AM 

went yesterday to one hunting area did not count them but on scales they weighed 3 pounds. all these black morels were in a small area on an east facing wooded hillside about halfway up the hill around a big ash and white oak tree,also a lot of small sassafras trees mixed in.this spot always produces blacks but yesterday was the most ever picked there.some were very mature and some had just came up! so far the last two days morels all together weighed 6 pounds.those blacks are hidden so well found many that only showed the tip peeking from under leaf cover then raked leaves back and it would be a huge morel almost completely hidden! hope all of you find many this season! tim

Respond to this message   
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

Re: yesterdays hunt 3-29-2011

March 30 2011, 8:59 AM 

Same here with less numbers. We went back to the same woods where we picked over 100 and found another 45 black. Lots of them were just barley peeking out.

Respond to this message   
tim ramey
(Login timramey)

big yellows

March 31 2011, 9:07 AM 

have one spot at the back of a field here that produces very large yellow morels.there is a spring running through it with a lot of big sycamore trees growing by it. the big yellows are almost invisible among the fallen leaves when they come up! checked for them day before yesterday and they were not up yet.the little yellows (morchella deliciousas) are emerging pretty good here now.find a lot around poplar and ash trees here usually in the same area that you would find ginseng growing in. if you have similar places in your hunt area check them good this pattern seems to work well in this area.dont find many in this spot( morchella esculentas) but what i find are very big!and when they are up the season is over here.a friend of mine found one two years ago that weighed 8 ounces! tim ramey

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com