Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Morels in KY

March 14 2011 at 10:26 AM
MattG  (Login XiBowhunter)

Hey guys,

I need some tips on where to find Morels in KY. I have been told to look under Elm, Ash, and Sycamore trees on the South-East side of hills. Is this correct info?

I know Morels can grow around other trees, and in other areas, but you have to start somewhere right?

What I need to know is what types of areas should I look for them to be around? Heavily wooded areas? Next to fields? Next to streams/creeks? High on ridge-tops? Are the South-East sides of hills a good place to start looking?

I have read a couple of reports about people in KY already finding a few morels, one as early as March 5th. I know it is still early yet, but the weather is suppossed to be very nice for my day off this Thursday, so I thought I would go out looking for morels in Ohio County KY on Thursday.

ANY info that ANYBODY here can give me would be a great help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
cindylyn
(Login cindylyn)

anywhere!

March 14 2011, 12:33 PM 

i have had people tell me to look under trees but my experience has taught me that shrooms aren't that picky!i have found them under all different trees.seems to me they like slopes and empty creek beds deep in the woods.if you are looking for trees to help u find shrooms u will probably miss alot in doing so.happy hunting!!!

Respond to this message   
(Login kdfwr918)

Re: Morels in KY

March 15 2011, 8:46 AM 

I would start higher up...paying close attention to poplar groves and benches. As the season goes on, start working your way down into the valleys.

You will usually find the black ones first in the season...i've always found the yellows peak around good friday or so.

As for trees, I've found them under anything and everything. Some good finds are around old homeplaces that have fruit trees and slippery elms trees that have died naturally and the bark has slipped off. They will sometimes produce alot of mushrooms for a couple of years after the death. Sometimes, being the key word.

Respond to this message   
Tim Crutcher
(Login timcrutcher)

March 16 2011, 3:51 PM 

It is early yet, I would look everywhere but make an effort to look in sunny wooded areas. In a few weeks, work the areas with less sun, thinking is soil temps causing them to come up in different locations.

Respond to this message   
Josh
(Login joshmiller34)

Don't ignore the trees

March 17 2011, 5:32 PM 

Do do do pay attention to the trees.those trees are gonna tell you alot.Big trees mean that there has not been much cutting.Small trees tell you there has and lots of traffic throughout.The type of tree will tell you what kind of mushrooms are near.The mushrooms grow according to their ecosystem that surrounds them.Thats why certain mushrooms grow in certain areas.Everyone has their own way of knowing but i find this to be true.I've been hunting mushrooms now for 29 yrs and its never done me wrong.This is my list of theories that i have hunted by.By the way i am in indiana near salamonie resevoir.
ground temp needs to be between 45-50 degrees,i dont much worry bout the air temp.
moist soil but not wet.
south southeast side of hills first then the northern sides for the end of the season.
never pass any elm tree without taking a look.
watch the lilacs and han-dy dan-dy lions.they are handy in telling you its time.
dont let the rain stop you.
wind high temps and sun are enemies of the morel.they need just the right amount.
potato or onion sack.never plastic shopping bags.
if someone ask you how many you found tell them 3.
take the kids.they're shorter and can see them better.

Respond to this message   
MattG
(Login XiBowhunter)

Thanks!

March 18 2011, 8:56 AM 

Thanks everyone for the tips!

But I have to ask, why sould I tell anyone who asks how many I found, that I only found "3"?

I just thought that was funny.

Respond to this message   
(Login visorgirl)

Re: Thanks!

March 18 2011, 5:07 PM 

because, if you say you found alot- they will beat you to that spot next time- and there won't be any. I always just say "not enough for dinner yet". keeps them guessing.

Respond to this message   
kdfwr918
(Login kdfwr918)

March 18 2011, 8:46 PM 

Went out today for a bit today....still a few days early, should start finding some blacks after this weekend.

I always tell peope that I found about a handful.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com