Moving morelMain Image

bar image

Welcome to The Great Morel Forum

Please make sure to read the Forum Guidelines

Notice: As of 4/4/2010 you must register to post. Due to unfortunate behavior of certain individuals, The Great Morel must make this change.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

EASTERN MONTANA MORELS ARE POPPIN'!!

May 2 2011 at 5:01 PM
  (Login mushroommama)

Went out last evening and found about 14 yellows. Looks like they are just coming up. These were coming up in an old river bed, that was mostly sand, with no trees around them. Hard to see, because of all the leaves. But as they say, when you find one,stop there, and look around because theres definately more!! Hopefully this season will be better than last. Happy Hunting All!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login freshtracks)

Re: EASTERN MONTANA MORELS ARE POPPIN'!!

May 4 2011, 11:36 AM 

I live over in Bozeman and I'm chomping at the bit. I had a look around my best spot yesterday but I think we're a little behind over here. Nothing yet, but the weather forecast looks pretty good for this week. I'm surprised you found any even in eastern MT with how cold the nights have been!

If things don't start popping here soon, I am thinking about heading up to the Musselshell near Harlowton. Lots of big cottonwood groves there but I have never checked it out before. Where are you located?

Thanks for posting,
Pete

Respond to this message   

(Login mtmorelman)

May 6 2011, 8:02 PM 

Just found a half-pound in Western Montana today, mostly blondes, but a couple grey, and peckerheads, as well....They are just starting.....it looks as if, it's going to be a good one! Good luck bozeman, they are out there!!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login freshtracks)

May 7 2011, 9:06 PM 

Are you west of the continental divide? I went out again today to a great spot in a slightly warmer area and all I found was a small clump of oysters. I just don't think it's happening here yet.

Respond to this message   

(Login freshtracks)

May 7 2011, 9:07 PM 

Are you west of the continental divide? I went out again today to a great spot in a slightly warmer area and all I found was a small clump of oysters. I just don't think it's happening here yet.

Respond to this message   
Deb
(Login mushroommama)

May 7 2011, 9:42 PM 

Altogether we have pulled out 190 mushrooms! I agree the nights have been soooo cold, we were surprised too. They even felt cold! Our location is....The Big Horn River. Don't wanna disclose too much info! Alot of ticks, so be prepared for them. Also,these were found on sandy,dry soil, in the open with no trees around.Lots of leaves also.Old river channels.Hope this helps and Happy Hunting!

Respond to this message   

(Login freshtracks)

May 9 2011, 11:55 AM 

Deb-

Thanks for sharing. That's weird, I have never found morels without trees around. Don't worry, your stash is safe - I doubt I'll make the drive to the Big Horn with these gas prices and not knowing my way around there. I have checked areas on the Gallatin, Yellowstone, and Jefferson Rivers so far with only an ounce or two of oysters to show for it! All this rain and hopefully some warmer temps in a few days should get it going here.

-Pete

Respond to this message   

(Login freshtracks)

May 9 2011, 11:55 AM 

Deb-

Thanks for sharing. That's weird, I have never found morels without trees around. Don't worry, your stash is safe - I doubt I'll make the drive to the Big Horn with these gas prices and not knowing my way around there. I have checked areas on the Gallatin, Yellowstone, and Jefferson Rivers so far with only an ounce or two of oysters to show for it! All this rain and hopefully some warmer temps in a few days should get it going here.

-Pete

Respond to this message   
gonzo
(Login MTgonzo)

Working to hard...

June 2 2011, 3:03 PM 

searching and searching lately and not finding anything @ 4500. 2 weeks ago before the big rain I found 6 blacks on north east slope getting wind dryed in quakies. Hearing reports on people finding them at 5500 feet. Mussleshell is underwater as well as other tributaries if your not current with the MT status.

Respond to this message   

(Login freshtracks)

Re: Working to hard...

June 7 2011, 12:24 AM 

Hit and miss around Bozeman lately. Each weekend brings a lot of people out to the good spots, so you have to really probe the far reaches if you can. Hoping the cooler weather and rain coming up will bring on another flush, but I'm afraid flooding may wipe out my best hunting grounds. Overall a very different year from the last in terms of when and where they are popping up.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - EASTERN MONTANA MORELS ARE POPPIN'!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note: sightings posted on this forum will not get updated on The Great Morel's Sighting Maps.
Also as a courtesy to others, please post geographical location when posting sightings (state, county, etc.).
Please review all pages for state by state sightings and add your post to an already existing posting - this will make the forum easier for those looking for specific state data.

bar image

Home / Recipes / Pictures / Info and links / Humor and Fun
Stories and Tales / Questions & Answers / Search Great Morel
Sightings / FAQ's / Growing Tips / Message Board Guidelines / Site Index

bar image

Home | Site Map | Disclaimer | | © 2009 www.TheGreatMorel.com