The Open Seiko Watch Forum, OSWF

Return to the OSWF  

OK, well we've discussed the "Money" & "Economy" part of the earlier...

November 14 2008 at 7:14 PM
No score for this post
Don  (Login dcrotty1)

post on the current bad times, but I didn't see any of the "Watch" part of the equation.

So - What do YOU think will happen to the various sectors of the watch market because of the bursting bubble??

My guess:
1. I consider there are 2 basic, distinct markets: consumer watches and hard-core Collectible Watches [at least for this discussion].

2. For consumer market - I expect a decline in volume & selling price in both the new & used segments of that market. Fewer people at all levels being able to afford what they customarily buy [@ the price range they customarily do]. So, a shift "downscale" + a certain amount of forgoing of purchases.

3. For the serious "Collectible" or "Hard Asset" market I expect 2 opposing forces to be at work:
- desire to acquire "safe" hard-assets during times of economic turmoil

vs.

- lack of liquidity a) forcing sales of existing holdings and b) restricting purchase of new ones

So, maybe a see-saw effect where increased demand for "hard assets" like the high-quality rarer watches is counterbalanced by lower purchasing power of the "hard asset" fans (even including new converts to that way of thinking) & traditional collectors.

I will say that in the last 1-2 months I've seen a lot of watch FS postings [and subsequent price reductions] I think would NOT have been offered during better economic times & that increase in supply [without a corresponding increase in demand] usually will portend a price drop. According to some sources I've seen, "high end" collectible watches have gone through DRAMATIC value swings - both up AND down - in the past [20-30 years]. I understand there have been times when some of these hi-end collectibles [truly rare (like, only 10 made) Rolex, Patek, Breguet, etc. in auctions by Sotheby's, etc.] have lost half or more of their value in a period of several years & then eventually recovered their value [and sometimes more] in the next up-leg. I certainly believe it could happen again. I also think that same pricing behaviour can occur in the "mid/lower" tiers of the collectible watch arena as well where most or all of us are.

====================================
[linked image]

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement