The Open Seiko Watch Forum, OSWF

Return to the OSWF  

Parnis Panzer in the house!

April 14 2009 at 9:09 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login Zoodles95)
Banned

This nickname is all my own and feel free to adopt it for these watches or some up with something better. After strapping on this chunky thing I thought of a Tank but there are already watches with the nickname "Tank".

This was my first Parnis that I have immediately bonded to from the get-go.
[linked image]

50mm wide before crown! Oddly enough it is still comfortable on my 8" wrist and I am on the 3'rd tightest strap hole!
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Now, I bid on and won an auction for an orange model. This one seems pretty yellow to me! I e-mailed the seller but have not heard back yet.

It has the swan neck variation of the 6497 which I am very smitten with. I love to look at the movement!
[linked image]
[linked image]

However, not all is well with the lume. Like my B&R homage someone made a very strange design decision with the dial and hand lume. See for yourself:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Does anyone think about these things when they design these watches?

Okay the verdict. For the money this is a 9/10 for me. If the hands were lumed I would give it a 10/10.

My "issues" with the watch are:

1. It is yellow instead of orange (a seller issue and not an issue with the watch).

2. No lumed hands!

3. Something is awry with the seals. I was in and out of my house today and it was a chilly day up here in the Great White North (i.e Canada). Every time I went in or out there was a little circle of condensation in the middle of the crystal. My vintage Seiko 6105-8110 used to do this until I had it restored and all new seals and gaskets were put in. If all Panzers (Zoodles95 TM) are like this or if it an issue with mine only is something I would love to know.

Other than the weird design snaffu of no lume on the hands and the seal issue this watch is a winner. Anyone who loves an instrument style watch and gets a kick out of a mammoth watch should snag one of these. Well worth the money!

Another Parnis came in today as well. It is a California dial with blue hands and the dressier case (anyone know a generic term for this style of case?):

Lume is proper on this one (hands and dial):
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I give this one a 8/10 for the money switching to a 9/10 once I put a better strap on it.

BTW, I like the strap on the Panzer!

"Making the world a better place one Sawtooth at a time!" (Zoodles 2006)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement