All outdoor Groups and Organizations can use this FORUM to post their events and activities. Feel free to let everyone know what you may be doing in the Metro area.
Not logged in | Login | Create AccountIndex    
Friday, 19 August 20117:35 PM

CARPOOLING for Hikes

With the ever increasing cost of gas, many of the members here have suggested trying to get a CarPool system going. Not sure how to make this happen, or even start to experiment with this. I have protected the nearly 4,000 members emails for over 12 years now, and opening them up to others is not an option in my mind. We have kept every ones privacy secure here.
So how do we go about this? Lets use next weekends, Seven Lakes FEN Hike as an example. Those of you living in northern Oakland Co. or in the far west end of Macomb county, may not be concerned with Carpooling to Seven Lakes State Park.
But what of someone living in Westland, or Farmington, or St. Clair county? Should we first ask if anyone from these outer areas for this Hike, would like to Carpool? Then who will drive and who will offer $1-$2 per passenger for Carpooling gas?
What do you all think about this? Ideas? Suggestions?
I know of no other S.E.MI. based outdoor group that Carpools. Some of the Groups that do overnighters have organized Carpooling, but doing this for local Hikes, would be an interesting scenario. It would be Cool to pull this off.

Comments: -Reply with comment  

Wednesday, 20 July 20119:35 PM
Women Safety Guide sheets

Well....we have tallyed all of your suggestions and ideas connected with a safer outdoor experience for not only women, but everyone. Hiking Michigan would like to thank all of you outdoors people who participated in helping us put together ideas and suggestion to make everyone's outdoor experience a safe and enjoyable one.

It has been an interesting month of emails, on-line postings and our Womens Safety Hike discussions. Many varied opinions on this subject. Everything from total fear of a wmen heading into the forest alone, to no fear what so ever in traveling anywhere in our Park systems as a women alone. So this subject has produced many faces with many solutions and suggestions.

No matter how you may feel on this subject, it is never a bad thing to share the experience and knowledge of other trail and Park users, and to be prepared when heading out into the outdoors. With that in mind, we put together the many ideas and suggestions from you outdoors people, into a 2 page Guides sheet for Womens Safety in the Outdoors. This can be applied to everyone as well as just women in the outdoors.

We hope this Guide will be of assistance in educated people and giving a good sense of safety and encouragement to all of those who have let certain things stop them from venturing into the Outdoors. There is much to be gained from an outdoors experience, and anything that restricts that, needs to be addressed or fixed. So GO GET OUTDOORS! It is for EVERYONE!

You can download the 2 page Guide for Womens Safety in the Outdoors here:
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/WomenSafety.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tuesday, 7 June 20117:52 PM
Safety for ALL in the Outdoors

We have been discussing womens safety in the outdoors for a couple of days now. I have compiled all of your great ideas and suggestions into an Info Safety sheet to download. Please keep them ideas coming, because we have every intension on updating this Info sheet.
An idea came in that stuck out from the others. It is an aggressive idea, that needs further thoughts and suggestions from you. Take a look at the TRAIL GUIDES idea for getting some extra safety and security for everyone in our local Parks. We look forward to hearing from you, and your ideas on how to make a better experience for everyone in the outdoors.
Download the Womens Safety sheet here: http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/WomenSafety.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

Comments: 1Reply with comment  

Sunday, 5 June 20118:10 PM
Women in the Outdoors

While we where hiking at the RECREATION 101 Event at Holly, this past weekend, the subject of Women going out to the Parks and out on the trails came up. I learned alot by what I was told, where the feeling of most of the women out on the Hike. They reveled that it is not just that easy or simple for a women to get in the car and head off to any park and get out onto the trails.

Concerns that I have never had as a male where reveled to me, that was appalling. I just never realized it was that difficult and uneasy for a women to get out into our Parks. Sure....take a man along and it all changes....but.....just a single women or a couple of women and it is all different. I would like to change this.

I know it all cannot be changed overnight, nor will it ever be the same as a male just heading outdoors, but there has to be things that can make a difference. I am asking for ideas and suggestions for how we can make It safer and easier for a women or a group of women to get outdoors and feel safe and enjoy themselves in our parks.

Can we have a Discussion Talk Hike to help this idea move along? What can we do here? Please send me an email or call with any ideas or suggestions on how we can approach this and be a positive change for all women who would like to get outdoors and enjoy our Parks and trails in safety.

Rob: rgolda@hikingmichigan.com
office: 586 446-7656

Comments: 1Reply with comment  

Tuesday, 31 May 20116:23 PM
RECREATION 101 Scheduled Activities

We have a preliminary Schedule of Activities for the Event. There will be an official Brochure at the Event, with more details and the locations of all the Groups and Organizations participating in the Event. But for now, here is the basic Schedule:
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/Recreation101Schedule.pdf

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Friday, 29 April 20119:32 PM
New BIRDER columnist for HM News:etter

Well.....we finally have someone qualified to write the Birding section of the HM NewsLetter. I have been doing it and struggling with it for years now. Janet is an avid Birder and EXCELLENT photographer. There will be a gigantic difference in what comes out of that section of the NewsLetter. So look for her first column in the next NewsLetter, as well as reposted columns from her Blog.
Check it out at this Link:
http://jkissnhug.blogspot.com/2010/07/finding-my-blogging-voice-new-title-new.html?spref=fb

PS: Janet and our old friend Dr. Bob are friends, so we are doubley blessed with now feeding from the hands of two avid Birders. Couldn't have dreamed this one up.

Saturday, 2 April 201110:41 PM
TRAILS Trimming HIKES

This year Hiking Michigan will be doing TRAILS Trimmings HIKES. What that means is that while we arte hiking, we will trim the overhanging twig or vine and pick up any trash we come across. Nothing very physical, just a way to give back and help out the State DNR maintain some of the Park Trail systems.
Due to the lack of funding this year, while the new PASSPORT Park sticker program takes hold, the DNR is down on it's funding, and will not be maintaining as many of the trails we all have come to enjoy and use regularly.
So.......maybe every third or forth Hike will be a Trails Trimming Hike. We will try and supply hand clippers to all in attendance, but if you have a pair, bring them along. We will also be purchasing gloves who ever wished to use them while they trim and Hike.
After each of this style of Trails Trimming Hikes, HM will provide a Campfire, Hotdogs and vittles for everyone that participated. We are working on getting a sponsor to supply us with PATCHES. So that anyone participating in three Trails Trimming Hikes, will recieve their TRAILS PATCH.
This is something new for us and we are open to any and all suggestions on how to make this work well. Our first Trails Trimming Hike will be on 4/30/11 at Holly Recreation Area. We will Hike and Trim our favorite trail there, the "Lakeshore Trail". We'll build a Campfire and cook some goodies afterwards. The DNR is behind us on this and hopefully as we get rolling, they will schedule the occassional Stewardship Ranger to join us on these Hikes. We will get a chance to learn some things about invasive species and the plants and trees we will be trimming.
So that's it.....how about some feedback and ideas.

Wednesday, 2 March 20117:33 PM
3/27/11 annual VEGFEST

This month is the infamous annual VEGFEST. On 3/27/11, from 11am-5pm, at the Suburban Collections Showplace in Novi, MI. more then 2,000 vegetarians & vegans will gather to share recipes, knowledge and a fun afternoon with all. It does not matter if you are a vegetarian, or only interested in a more healthier way of eating, there is something here at the FEST for you.
There are many booths, Information stands, recipes, Foods for you to try out. Learn about healthier ways of eating while you have a great fun filled afternoon. VEGFEST is an excellent time!
Check out more details on their web site at:
http://www.vegmichigan.org/activities/vegfest/index.php

Monday, 14 February 20111:16 PM
2/26/11 MARSH Monitoring Program

The FRIENDS of Belle ISLE are sponsoring a workshop and training for Volunteers interested in monitoring Marsh and water tributaries, and HELP MONITOR WILDLIFE. It will be held on February 26, 2011, 10am-2pm at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo, Detroit, Michigan. Check out further details at the Link here:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3yBnPdL92W6ZDBiNWZiY2EtYzk4NS00YTRiLWI4YzAtYjgwM2FlZWM4ZmQ1&hl=en

Tuesday, 8 February 201111:24 PM
2/19/11 SNOWSHOE Event

Well.....it is finally here. Thanks to the continued effort from Bill Goodwin, we are ready for our Snow Shoe afternoon at Stony Creek. At 12pm we will meet at the Stony Creek Nature Center's 3 season building and Campfire area. There, REI reps. will do a class on Snow Shoeing. The Info class will last about 1/2 hour or so, and then REI will supply us with Snow Shoes to try out our new skills. They have about 30 pairs of the latest in snow shoes. Stony Creek Park has also donated about 10 pairs of wooden "Bear-Paw" style snow shoes as well. I learned on these official/original style wood Snow shoes.
After some playing out on the trails, we will return to the 3 season building and enjoy a Campfire, Hot beverages and some munchies. We can compare notes and ideas about the experience and get some questions answered by REI and Park staff.
This should be one heck of an afternoon. Join us for the FUN!

Download more info and a map to the meeting place here:
http://www.hikingmichigan.com/PDFinfo/StonySnowHIKE.pdf

Check out REI's Snow Shoe Basic's pages and videos here:
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/snowshoeing+first+steps.html

[linked image]

[linked image]

<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Next >> 

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement