Net 54 Vintage Baseball Memorabilia Forum
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball memorabilia and related topics. All posts in this section may pertain to bats, uniforms, autographs, photos, books, etc.. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Bring in the newspaper

August 28 2007 at 2:52 AM

Max Weder  (Login baseballart)
Chatlist

Nice item I hadn't seen auctioned before

http://tinyurl.com/3c2b4e

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

Re: Bring in the newspaper

August 28 2007, 9:20 AM 

Yep, I saw it...it was on an ebay live auction about 2 months ago so this seller flipped this immediately. I also noticed they flipped an 1892 Columbus cabinet photo and an old Southern League photo too...they made good money on all of them.

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

me too

August 28 2007, 9:36 AM 

I saw that auction also. Very neat book. That seller, Walnutts, has come up with some really great stuff before....regards

Joseph
(Login base_ball)

August 28 2007, 10:21 AM 

Auction went out of my league even before it really started...

Lew Lipset sold a volume with a about 50 issues from 1885 about a year ago.

Two things: 1. Note the "Gold Coin" ads in the images!

2. The paper is very brittle at the edges. Does anyone know if one can "restore/rehabilitate" these pages so that you could turn a page and not have a part fall off?

Max Weder
(Login baseballart)
Chatlist

August 28 2007, 2:28 PM 

I am wondering if this was ever part of the Steve Cummings collection. Barry, do you recall? I know Steve had a number of great early periodicals, but can't recall on this one.

Max

Joseph
(Login base_ball)

August 28 2007, 3:27 PM 

What's great about this publication is that it was virtually a baseball DAILY!!
They've had baseball dailies in Japan, but does anyone know if this the only such
publication here in the USA?

Also note that the buyer is Tim Hughes, the great newspaper purveyor. Let's hope he has a buyer for the volume and doesn't chop it up.

btw, the Lipset volume: http://oldjudge.com/archive/200611/baseball/publications/30/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index