Net 54 Vintage Baseball Memorabilia Forum
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball memorabilia and related topics. All posts in this section may pertain to bats, uniforms, autographs, photos, books, etc.. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
Anonymous
(Login TonyK222)

Re: Who is the Real Father of Baseball?

December 25 2007, 2:06 PM 

Dan: The 1837 Olympia Rules is a significant find. That auction also has a photo of Abner Doubleday in it's baseball section. What's he doing there?

One site which has a chronological list of early baseball mentions is www.retrosheet.org/Protobell/Fat2.06htm

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

December 25 2007, 9:03 PM 

Baseball collectors pay a premium for CDV's and cabinets of Abner Doubleday not because they believe he invented baseball, but because over time he has become a mythological figure in baseball lore.

DD
(Login david_davis)

December 25 2007, 10:11 PM 

I was in a Chinese restaurant yesterday and posed this question to the maitre'd. Of course, he said Cartwright. It's funny that when he said that, a bald guy in glasses showed up.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

December 26 2007, 7:31 AM 

Oh, that will 5-10 minutes!

anthony
(Login lug-nut)

December 27 2007, 6:00 PM 

i bought my 15 yr old "baseball a film by ken burns" for christmas and we watched the first inning yesterday. man did my son have a ton of questions after watching it. i watched it several years ago but it never gets old.

i always thought it should be abner doubleday as the father of baseball but after watching it again, now i see it should be alexander cartwright in my opinion. it does seem that there were several major players (mainly wright, cartwright, chadwick, doubleday) in really turning baseball into what it is today so maybe we can call them our "forefathers" or "fourfathers" and not consider just one.

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

December 27 2007, 6:31 PM 

Doubleday really has no right to be considered with the company of Wright, Chadwick or Cartwright. There is no evidence at all that he had anything to do with baseball.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement