Net 54 Vintage Baseball Memorabilia Forum
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball memorabilia and related topics. All posts in this section may pertain to bats, uniforms, autographs, photos, books, etc.. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Help on any info on 1911 Highlander team postcard

May 15 2008 at 7:05 AM

(Login asphaltman76)

Hello guys,

I picked this up yesterday and am trying to find some more info on it. Does anyone know if this is a catalogued postcard with associated with a PC and number identity? This is also the first i've seen this myself, maybe someone has has one or may know something on scarcity? Also, if if isn't a postcard with a designation, would SGC be able to put a numerical grade on it, or possibly just put it in an authentic slab? Any help is appreicated guys.

http://www.vintageball.com/PlayerPostcards2.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
davidcycleback
(Login dereb1)

Re: Help on any info on 1911 Highlander team postcard

May 15 2008, 4:59 PM 

It's a scarce and desirable postcard. I've seen one or two. There was one in a MastroNet auction a good number of years ago, and I don't remember what it sold for. I don't know that its officially cataloged, but it is a hobby known issue.

I've had an example on my site picture for several years.

http://www.cycleback.com/alteredstates.htm

I would guess you could get PSA or SGC to grade/entomb it, as they grade uncatalogued and catalogued postcards. They would just have to be confident it's a legitimate/vintage issue. If you included a copy of the relevant MastroNet auction page with your submission, that would be proof of legitimacy enough. I know it's pictured/described in an old catalog, I'm just not sure which one.

This message has been edited by dereb1 on May 15, 2008 10:54 PM
This message has been edited by dereb1 on May 15, 2008 10:51 PM
This message has been edited by dereb1 on May 15, 2008 5:07 PM
This message has been edited by dereb1 on May 15, 2008 5:02 PM

Bob Lemke
(Login wi05)

Sporty Post Cards

May 16 2008, 4:21 PM 

These were carried in the Standard Catalog up until the 2004 or 2005 edition (they were dropped from the 2006+ books, along with most other team PCs). The Highlands and A's were included in the "set."

(Login scgaynor)

May 17 2008, 12:38 AM 

That is a great postcard, I love that style.

Scott

(Login patrickaa)

Highlander's Postcard

May 17 2008, 12:39 AM 

It is a scarce postcard. I have seen it probably less than 5 times. One in nice condition sold in the August 2004 Hunt auction for $350 plus premium and a lesser condition one sold in the August 2002 Hunt Auction for $250 plus premium.

(Login asphaltman76)

May 17 2008, 7:06 AM 

I found a little more on these and the other one, the A's. I think i'd buy any of these available at $250-350.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=5&lot_num=714&lot_qual

Robert S
(Login VintageBall)

A bit of info

May 17 2008, 11:03 PM 

Here are two bigger scans of both Sporty Postal Card Co. postcards (NY 1911 and PHI 1910).

Note, a version exists of the Philadelphia card w/o the Sporty credit line, issued on a different card stock. I'm unsure if a similar version exists of the NY card, as well.

(Login boxingcardman)

Poor Harry Krause

May 18 2008, 7:54 PM 

#6, at the business end of the elephant...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Current Topic - Help on any info on 1911 Highlander team postcard  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index