Net 54 Vintage Baseball Memorabilia Forum
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball memorabilia and related topics. All posts in this section may pertain to bats, uniforms, autographs, photos, books, etc.. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

The National

August 1 2008 at 6:48 AM

Mike H  (Login mjkm90)

Hi All,

I'm on my way home from the National today. It was a great show for figurals, pennants, and display antiques. We had a terrific time, enjoyed many fascinating conversations, and I am very excited about my purchases. Carlton shot a TON of photos and I'll post my own this weekend. There were bargains to be had and overall there were much better offerings than last year. More soon.

Mike

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brock G.
(Login griffis16)

Re: The National

August 1 2008, 9:44 AM 

Glad to hear it went well Mike. Looking forward to seeing your pick-ups.

Joe K.
(Login vintagesportscollector)

August 1 2008, 10:01 AM 

Mike you are a complete tease! Don't leave us hanging like that. I can't wait to see your pics and purchases. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Mark
(Login perezfan)

August 1 2008, 1:19 PM 

Mike:

Considering those are the 3 things I like most, I am now more depressed than ever. Glad to hear that you did well, though!

I guess I'll be content knowing I probably saved thousands of dollars by staying home. Looking forward to seeing some great upcoming posts, and Carlton's inevitable mouth-watering photos.

Mike H
(Login mjkm90)

August 1 2008, 1:47 PM 

Here are random pics from the show. I'll post pics of what I purchased soon.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

August 1 2008, 2:01 PM 

Mike, great pics and thanks for sharing.

It's a good thing Lincoln, NE was nowhere near being champs of the Western League in 1915 or I'd be kicking myself for not being at the National right now.

What did you pick up? How were the prices?

Joe K.
(Login vintagesportscollector)

August 1 2008, 2:22 PM 

Great photos Mike. Thanks for posting them. Now cut the crap and tell us what you snagged!

Mark
(Login perezfan)

WOW

August 1 2008, 2:30 PM 

Just amazing, Mike... thanks so much for posting these. The 3rd, 4th and 9th photos alone are making me borderline suicidal for staying at home.

Thanks again for these incredible photos!

ps. I started to ask some questions here, but it got too long. I didn't want to bore everyone to death... so I'm going to email you privately.

Brock G.
(Login griffis16)

August 1 2008, 3:06 PM 

Thanks for the photos Mike. Looks like there was some killer stuff from a trophy/figural perspective. That Sox pennant is too cool for words as well. I honestly get like a sick feeling in my stomach looking at the pictures. I got to go someday. Thanks again Mike.

Greg Theberge
(Login HiNeighbor)

August 1 2008, 3:18 PM 

Mike,

Awesome photos. Fill us in what you picked up.

Who had that Sox pennant for sale? That's the same pennant that was in the recent Higgins auction I believe. While it sold for less than I thought it would, all my $$ went to that beer can I posted earlier. I'm suprised that it didn't go to a collector directly. Stupid money tree in the back yard didn't bloom this year

Glad to hear you had a good time. Wish I could go one of these years. Maybe someday it'll go to Boston.

Greg

Mark
(Login perezfan)

August 1 2008, 3:49 PM 

Same for the Dooin Phillies Pennant. It just appeared in Huggins & Scott, along with the Red Sox. And look how poorly they're protecting it. They crammed a $3,000 Oversized Pennant into a standard-sized plastic holder (with 1/4 of it hanging out!)

Mike... do you remember which seller had these?

Mike H
(Login mjkm90)

August 1 2008, 5:01 PM 

I'll type much more later, but here are my pick-ups

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

August 1 2008, 6:00 PM 

Great stuff Mike...looks like you made a major haul!

Mike H
(Login mjkm90)

August 1 2008, 7:29 PM 

Dave Bushing had the Dooin, I don't remember who had the Red Sox pennant, but they were asking $7,500 which is completely insane.

The sellers were dealing for the most part. Several confirmed that the auction houses did very little buying during set up this year.

Two of the best booths (the guy with the five Spaldings, and the guy with three shelves of trophies) were collectors selling part of it off.

Rhys (sp) was set up and selling also.

I only had $1,000 for the show and I didn't want to spend it all in the first ten minutes on one item, so I pulsed it out and dug for bargains. If I had $4,000 with me, your jaws would drop at the possibilities. There were some amazing pieces just beyond my reach.

There was a figural Cub's ashtray (see photo #10) that I wanted badly, but the seller was asking $2,000 which is laughable. His booth was the one consistently unrealisticly priced booth I entered.

Greg Theberge
(Login HiNeighbor)

August 1 2008, 8:02 PM 

That price is just ridiculous on that Sox pennant. I don't have it in front of me, but that's about twice the price it went for in the auction.

Nice pickups Mike, Looks like a nice (and fairly heavy) haul you got there.

Clint
(Login ksfarmboy)

August 1 2008, 9:02 PM 

Mike, thanks for the pictures and awesome pick ups. How much were the Spalding trophies?

Clint

Mike H
(Login mjkm90)

August 2 2008, 5:13 AM 

Thanks fellas.

Greg, I'm with you on that pennant. Amazing piece (perhaps best of show) but I didn't get the impression he was in any hurry to sell it.

Dan, there was a set of five Spaldings in one case for $20,000. Then there were two others of the fielder that were $3,000 each.

Michael Steele
(Login sox1903wschamp)

August 3 2008, 4:04 AM 

I was an underbidder in H&S on the 1915 Sox pennant and was astounded at the asking price at the National. I actually wish it had gone to a collector in the auction. It deserves to be in a collection. With that asking price it will be awhile. I saw the pennant in Chicago but did not get a chance to talk to the seller.

Greg Theberge
(Login HiNeighbor)

August 3 2008, 7:21 AM 

Mike,

I see your login name and am thinking you might be a Sox collector?

Greg

MVSNYC
(Login mvsnyc)

August 3 2008, 1:52 PM 

as far as memorabilia pick-ups at the Nat'l, i got 2 amazing Game-Used Bats...

-the first one is a George H. Burns model LS (1916-22 label), which is sidewritten with Jumpin' Joe Dugan's name (played on the 1927 Yankees)...it has incredible patina, and John Taube wrote a great LOA for it.

-the second one is Buck Herzog (in the T206 set) LS (1916-22 label)...John also wrote a great LOA for this one.

i'll try to post pics tomorrow.

MS

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index