Some comments on GomezApril 4 2002 at 1:53 PM
|Rock G |
from IP address 184.108.40.206
This from the Star Ledger:
Devils notebook: Gomez leaving big hole
Thursday, April 04, 2002
BY RICH CHERE
RALEIGH, N.C. -- The loss of forward Scott Gomez for four to six weeks due to a broken left hand suffered Monday night against the Islanders was felt immediately by his teammates, who said his playmaking skills could not be replaced.
"He's the best playmaker on the team," center Bobby Holik said last night. "We're definitely going to miss that. There is not another person on this team who plays like that. He's played his best hockey of the season lately. We have to hope for a quick recovery."
Petr Sykora, who moved into the vacant spot on Holik's right wing, also praised Gomez's skills.
"It's his vision and play with the puck," Sykora explained. "You can't replace that. I really think he's one of the best I've ever seen. He has the ability to put other players in the best position to score. He's going to be missed."
Defenseman Colin White sat out the game with a stiff neck. White was hit with a powerful punch in a fight with Dave Scatchard of the Islanders Monday night at Nassau Coliseum. ... With White out, Andrei Zyuzin got a chance to play while Mike Commodore remained out of the picture.
Patrik Elias scored his 28th goal of the season in the first period. ... Forwards Jim McKenzie and Andreas Salomonsson were also scratches. ... Coach Kevin Constantine assembled a Social Security line of wingers Valeri Kamensky (35) and Stephane Richer (35) with center Sergei Nemchinov (38).
The Hurricanes, fighting to stay ahead of the Washington Capitals in the Southeast Division race, lost defenseman Sean Hill with a strained back muscle in the second period and then had defenseman Glen Wesley knocked out of the game with 10:29 remaining when he tangled skates with Sergei Brylin and crashed shoulder-first into the end boards.
Holik, who was suspended for one game for sticking Hurricanes center Rod Brind'Amour in the head on March 23, said there was no reason for the incident to carry over last night. ... and it did not.
"That was taken care of when it was taken care of," Holik said. "Everybody did what they had to do, the players, the referees and the league. If I held a grudge every time this happened, (looking for revenge) it is all I'd be doing. I'd be too busy."
- Red, I forgot is there any way to highlight text here? - Rock G on Apr 4, 2:04 PM
- good point rock... - rbdf on Apr 4, 2:07 PM
- Rock I have NO IDEA... - redruM on Apr 4, 2:19 PM
- Re: Rock I have NO IDEA... - Zamode on Apr 4, 4:12 PM
- Z. you jinxed US!!!! - redruM on Apr 4, 4:14 PM
- Re: Z. you jinxed US!!!! - Zamode on Apr 4, 4:25 PM
- Be happy there is ANY smiley at all!!! - redruM on Apr 4, 4:32 PM
- these are the only ones I could remember - Rock G on Apr 4, 5:20 PM
- Re: Red, I forgot is there any way to highlight text here? - StarDew on Apr 4, 3:39 PM
- Re: Some comments on Gomez - Zamode on Apr 4, 4:22 PM