THE GUNNY G GOOGLE SEARCH!
Google Custom Search

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1st Marine Air Wing... 1st Division in China

December 29 2000 at 4:34 PM
No score for this post
  (no login)
from IP address 152.163.201.61

I am looking for members of the 1st Division who where in China with my husband. He often speaks about different friends that he would like to see once again but refuses to use the computer. I get short story's now and again but not a whole lot. My husband is 76 yrs young and joined the Marines from New Kensington, PA... April 13,1943 to April 13,1946... stationed at Bainbridge,Maryland.. San Diego Naval Air Station, Calif.. Memphis,Tenn., Jacksonville, Fla., New Bern, NC.. Combat duty Asiatic Pacific Area June 22,1945-Mar. 24,1946...Mindanoa, Admidlty Islands, New Guinea, Biak, Marati, Luzon, Okinawa, China(Peping etc)
This would really help him if he could once again reunite with others who served proudly with him.
Thank you for you time in reading this message.
Peace Be With You Piece By Piece
Wife/Sarah Jane

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
January 4 2001, 12:18 PM 

I was in 1st air wing vmf 115 mag 24 at air base in
peping china 1946.We pulled guard durty on rail road
from tinson china to peping and had f4u in air along
rail way.the commies would blow up the rails and it
took us about three days to make trip if things worked
out o.k. like to hear from any others that was in peping. email mrpolice@bayou.com chief lyle hopkins
ph:318/647/3490 home:318/647/3351 home:email MRJHop@aol.com i still work as chief at age 73.
i was raised in a childrens home in Rustom,La

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
January 4 2001, 4:31 PM 

Lyle, Iwas at West Field in Peiping from October `45 until sometime in `46 and was transferred to South Field until July of `46. I was in SMS12 MAG12 1st MAW in Zamboanga Mindenao and went up to Taku on USS Sheridan in October `45. Came back to the States on USS Gen. J.C. Breckenridge in July `46. Rode a troop train from Dago to Lejeune and discharged 10 August `46. My home address is 1856 Hunter Ave., Mobile, Ala.36606-1331.
Semper Fi.
PS Are you member of the China Marine Association? Just costs $10 a year.

(no login)

Request for information

No score for this post
December 22 2001, 2:30 PM 

I was a Navy FMF corpsman serving with the Marines 3 1/2 years who sailed from Treasure Island, San Francisco for China on the USS General Breckenridge in the summer of 1946. I recall that the Breckenridge had an accident which involved the port facilities during either docking at or departure from the U.S. I was a replacement for 2nd Bn, 1st Marines in North China, serving with them nearly a year in Tientsin and Peking. I am trying to locate someone or some agency which has the sailing records (date of departure, ports of call, i.e. Manilla, Shanghi, and date of debarkation at Tangu, China)of the Breckenridge during the summer of 1946. I am a member of the China Marine Association. I will appreciate any help you can give me in locating either persons or agencies where I can obtain this information. Thank you. Arnold

(no login)

Re: Request for information

No score for this post
November 15 2004, 1:43 PM 

1st marines
As a corpman I was attached to a hosp unit in tinsen-peping=tsingtao from 1945-77..
I would like to hear from you, I am looking for an old buddie from Holland.Mich,
Ray Vandevusse.
we served there in 45-47 and at Great Lakes Medical center together in 50-51,

Hm1 James Stuart

(no login)

Was in Tiensin in 1945

No score for this post
September 20 2005, 2:22 PM 

Believe that I left the USA from San Diego on the USS DREW. Went to the Admiralty islands and then up the chain to Mindanoa in the Phillapines. Was with MAG 24 first at Malabang and then to Headquarters Sqd. in Zamboanga. From there to Okinowa and from there to China. Had a one nite stopover in Shanghai. We were the first Marines to go to the French compound. One load on a DC-3. Three enlisted men and the rest officers including one General. We all ate 10 in ones for Two days. Ibecame ill in Oct. and was put in the Hospital and the evacuated to Shanghai. The USS Repose was in Harbor so rec. good care. About 120 patients were sent to Oakland Naval Hospital on a rat infested AKA. Arrived a few days before Christmas and rec a 10dollar check from the Hearst papers.

(no login)

Breckenridge

No score for this post
August 8 2005, 10:07 PM 

Left China Late July in '46. Breckenridge took us to San Diego . Do not remember anything that I'd consider an accident or damage to ship.

(no login)

looking for anyone Peiping 1946-1947

No score for this post
February 10 2001, 10:00 PM 

I was with A co Engineers at peiping 1946-1947 Give me an answer

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
February 12 2001, 11:45 AM 

John received your mail. I was stationed at nan wong air base in PEKING vmf 115 1ST Marine air wing.WE had the old F4U the old gull wing air craft.the china air force was also at this base also VMF 214. We received all our supplys from tinsin and they came by way of rail road. We pulled guard duty on the trains. whenwe went in to peking you had to have side arm.At the bus stop if you recall the children would be there "saying no mamy no papy no flight pay you comshaw me g.i.joe>
also some saying i know nice 16 year old school girl
you pay me i take you. I know you remember the"honey
buckets" ALL WE HAD WAS OPEN HEADS.MY E-mAIL
mrpolice@bayou.com office Home MRJHop@aol.com.
thanks,Chief Hopkins

(no login)

Peiping Marine

No score for this post
February 17 2001, 2:32 PM 

Lyle, there were two airfields at Peiping, Lantienchang [West Field] and Nanyouwan [South Field]. I was at West Field from October `45 until about MAY OF `46 when we all moved to South Field.
West Field was out near the Summer Palace and the Yenching University. That`s where we kept the Japs before they were sent home.
Did you get the application for the China Marine Association?

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
May 1 2001, 6:16 PM 

I`ve got some applications for the association if you want one. Just costs $10 a year.
Semper Fi
Chuck

(no login)

application

No score for this post
April 8 2003, 3:18 PM 

please send application to,
vincent della torre
48 maple ave
belleville, n.j.
thank you
semper fi vince

(no login)

CHINA MARINES MEMEMBERSHIP FORM

No score for this post
July 10 2002, 5:33 PM 

PLEASE SEND ME A MEMEBERSHIP FORM.
LYLE HOPKINS
P.O.BOX 234
MER ROUGE,LA 71261

THANKS,LYLE

(no login)

Re: CHINA MARINES MEMEMBERSHIP FORM

No score for this post
August 12 2002, 1:30 PM 

I am intersted in joining the China Marines Association but I am not sure if your site is the right one. If it is, please send me a form. I served as the Naval Attache in Beijing from 1993-1995.

(no login)

membership form

No score for this post
April 9 2003, 8:57 PM 

please email me a membership form. Thank you.

(no login)

Re: membership form

No score for this post
February 7 2004, 10:40 AM 

I used to run Bus stop in Tsingtao l946-48

(no login)

China Marine Membership Form

No score for this post
August 10 2004, 5:04 PM 

Could you please forward information on becomming a member of the China Marine Association. I served in China from 1948-1949. Thanks

(no login)

Re: CHINA MARINES MEMEMBERSHIP FORM

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 5:37 PM 

how do you get a application for the china marine assoc.

(no login)

Membership app for China Marines

No score for this post
August 20 2005, 7:42 PM 

Send sase to:
China Marine Assn.
3 Black Skimmer Ct.
Beaufort, SC 29907

(no login)

Form request.

No score for this post
October 25 2004, 11:00 AM 

I was located in the American Barracks in Tientsin about 7 1/2 months,late 1945/early 1946.Our outfit was a LFASCU attached to the 3rd Amphib. Corps. Are there any of that bunch still around ???
Appreciate your providing this web site.thanks.

(no login)

CHINA MARINES MEMEMBERSHIP FORM

No score for this post
July 10 2002, 5:34 PM 

PLEASE SEND ME A MEMEBERSHIP FORM.
LYLE HOPKINS
P.O.BOX 234
MER ROUGE,LA 71261

THANKS,LYLE

(no login)

I was at South Field Peiping China

No score for this post
December 11 2003, 3:10 PM 

From about May 46 to June47

(no login)

Marines at Peiping

No score for this post
October 26 2004, 8:34 PM 

I was part of 1st Marine Air Wing, I think part of MAG 12 and part of Squadron (number long since forgotten) that was reconstituted from one lost at Wake. They flew F4U's until replaced at Peiping. I finally was put to work as a radio operator although at Zamboanga we were put to work on the flight line. Stood guard duty on the plains where the Camel caravans came in from the West during some cold windy nights. Barracks was an old stable with a few small pot belly coal stoves but never got near enough to one to feel the heat. We rented a room full time in the old Peiping hotel where I recieved my education. Oh, the mutton burgers, the perfumed chicken, the rickshaws, the chinese horses, the rot-gut whisky,etc. Was sent to Tsingtao for a short time where the Red Cross girls came in the radio shack each evening to deposit hundreds of dollars. Believe I came home on the Breckenridge.

Robert E. Stephens, Sr.
(no login)

Served in China, 1945-46

No score for this post
April 18 2001, 6:57 PM 

Chief Hopkins:
My son, Robert E. Stephens, Jr. saw your message and made a copy for me. I was in 1st MAW, pulled guard duty on the trains and helped to keep the railroad open from Tienstein to Peiping. We flew F7F3Ns. Just wrote an article for the McCreary County Record, as the Navy's EP-3 surveillance spy plane incident brought back memories of my duty in China. My address is Robert E. Stephens 1200 Lick Creek Rd. 42653. Many friends in China. We left Chinhuamtao in December with the Communists hot on our heels. I flew with Pete Bonner, Sam Arcand, Dan George, and many others. Still have my old orders and a silver cigarette case made for me by a Chinese silversmith in Peiping. I am 80 years young now but still have recollections of my days in Peiping and Tienstein at the French Arsenal. Our departure from that area was to Hawaii where I was stationed for about 3 years.
Robert E. Stephens, Sr.

(no login)

1st Div.11Marines,

No score for this post
June 2 2001, 10:53 AM 

First time I picked up this web page.
I was stationed at the French Fort from Nov.1945
to Oct.1946.We rounded up the Japs to the fort.
Was there in either July or August when we got
ambushed on our patrol to Peiping.I remember on
our return trip to Tienstin,every truck had the
America flag on it.If we would have got fired upon
I believe the U.S. would have declared war with
communist China.It was all quiet.

Nice To Talk To To
John Kress

(no login)

Do you remember Shy?

No score for this post
July 9 2002, 4:11 PM 

I was also with 1st Div. 11th Marines

(no login)

Re: Do you remember Shy?

No score for this post
January 3 2004, 10:45 PM 

Did you know Russell "Cactus" Randolph.

(no login)

MARINES

No score for this post
March 20 2005, 8:18 AM 

WE HAVE HAD MARINES IN OUR FAMILY FROM WWII TO THE PRESENT. MY SON IS A SSGT. IN THE RESERVES AND MY NEPHEW JUST PICKED UP GUNNY. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD SEND ME ANY INFO ON THE SHY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SUCH AS AGE, HOMETOWN, ETC. POSSIBLY WE ARE RELATED SINCE SHY IS NOT A COMMON NAME. THANKS IN ADVANCE ROBERT SHY.

(no login)

French Arsenal

No score for this post
July 11 2002, 10:10 AM 

An ping railroad was ambushed in July of 46.I was working in the enlisted men's club in the French Arsenal. Left Tientsin in Oct. of 46 aboard USS
Breckenridge.Landed in Newport News, Va., via Panama Canal.

(no login)

French Arsenal - Me Too!

No score for this post
July 11 2002, 11:32 AM 

I left the same time you did aboard the Breckenridge.
Can't remember you from the enlisted men's club. I was in headquaters bat.

To me. China was a great time. Did you get the medal from chaing KiChek?

(no login)

enlisted men's club

No score for this post
July 31 2002, 11:11 AM 

I was with H&s bat. Iwas the bartender in the club. I also played the piano. I played with the band aboard the Breckinridge on the way back to the states. I received the China medal.

(no login)

China Medal

No score for this post
August 4 2002, 4:29 PM 

No I don't remember you as a bartender. I was with the 11th marines Headquarters Bat (Lineman).

Just what was the inscription on the China Medal? As I also got it.

Thanks.

Ya'all remember the cuties out side the French Arsenal?

(no login)

inscription on medal

No score for this post
August 6 2002, 11:44 AM 

I was with the 11th mar, h&s bat. I worked in the club with sgt.John McDonald and Paul Narey. The front of the medal shows crossed American and Chinese flags,
a picture of Chang Kai Shek and the Great Wall.

(no login)

MEDAL

No score for this post
September 11 2002, 11:47 AM 

WHAT WERE THE QUALIFACATIONS TO RECEIVE THIS MEDAL.
I WAS IN CHINA 7/10/46 TO 9/1/47.
SEMPER FI
VINCE

(no login)

china medal

No score for this post
September 23 2004, 11:14 PM 

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE WERE JUST ONE OR WERE THERE TWO CHINA MEDALS THANKS IN ADVANCE . TIENTSIN CHINA MARINE. 1st MARINES

(no login)

enlisted mens club

No score for this post
September 2 2002, 10:47 PM 

Bill, I was at the Arsenal in 11th ,headquarters battalion,I was in the barracks that was in the back of the club between the mess hall and the motor pool.I was there from Jan to Sept of 46. I do remember the Fort Pitt beer that I think was 10 cents a bottle and the hard liquor was not state side but was also cheap.It didn`t cost much to hang one on.Would like to hear from you about your duty at the club and the Arsenal,John

(no login)

french arsenal

No score for this post
November 5 2002, 8:55 PM 

My father was there too! Ernest Sleith. I would love to be able to relay a message from a fellow China Marine.

Jackie

(no login)

French Arsenal - Me Too!

No score for this post
July 11 2002, 11:35 AM 

To me. China was a great time. Did you get the medal from chaing KiChek?

(no login)

French Arsenal - Me Too!

No score for this post
July 11 2002, 11:36 AM 

To me. China was a great time. Did you get the medal from Chaing KiChek?

(no login)

French Arsenal

No score for this post
March 20 2003, 12:00 AM 

I have posted a little further down, and include some comments on the French Arsenal, but do want to add that it was at the French Arsenal that I learned to hate apple sauce.
Don't know if any of you recall, but when I was there, the only meat in the freeze was pork chops, and we had really gray, greasy pork chops every night, together with apple sauce.
I still like pork chops, very thin ones that is, but cannot stomach applesauce.
By the way, just how far was Tientsen from the Arsenal.
As I recall, it was quite a little drive, when we used to take a jeep to go on liberty in Tientsin.
That's right, the Navy hospital was in Tientsin.
I recall I had to go there because of a fever that did not seem to go away, and the old Navy nurse made me get up and swab the floor every day. Man was I glad to get out of that horror house.

(no login)

hello john..

No score for this post
January 21 2003, 9:56 PM 

this site address was given to me by robert kress,i believe him to be your son.
we work together at l+l products in romeo mi.
from me to you,THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!
say hello sometime..
reuben

(no login)

Talking To A Ex. Navy Man

No score for this post
February 8 2003, 11:49 AM 

Reuben

Bob told me you sent a message thru the

China Marines, It was nice to here from you

When and where were you in the Navy.

As you may know we live up here at Houghton Lake.

About 26" of snow on the ground and very cold.

Talk Again
John Kress

(no login)

please help

No score for this post
January 28 2003, 9:31 PM 

My name is Michael Wang and I am originally from Tianjin (Tientsin) China. I would like to interview some marine who was stationed in Tientsin during 1946-1948 for my project. I wish you can help me.
My email address is
tjmichael2002@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.

(no login)

Marines on duty in Tientsin

No score for this post
February 1 2003, 11:47 AM 

Michael: I am a member of the China Marine Association and would suggest that you write a letter of request to our Newsletter Editor: Sgt. Major Robert J. Shovar, USMC (Ret) at his home: 339 Jonell Lane,Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-5101. He will post your letter request in our newsletter which goes out to our 2600 members, a lot of whom served in Tientsin during the time you need some information about Marines serving there. It will take about 6 to 9 months to get resonses (newsletter is published quaterly) but you will get responses and this is your best bet to lopcate such Marines and get the info you need.

(no login)

Where is he ?

No score for this post
June 30 2003, 2:15 AM 

Sgt.Mike Culver and I were great biker friends and unfortunately we lost touch, when the marines left Tientsin and the Commos took over !!

I had a small Motorcyle Dealership at the time !

Thanks for any info !!

George

(no login)

Russell Randolph

No score for this post
January 3 2004, 10:52 PM 

I need information on Russell Randolph Nicknamed Cactus. And Terry Olson. Both in the 1st marine Division 2nd Battalion Fox Company. Okinawa and Tienstin, China 1945-1947.
Sincerely, Preston Randolph

(no login)

TIENTSIN

No score for this post
March 10 2003, 7:26 PM 

WAS THERE (46/47).
DO NOT REMEMBER TO MUCH.
YOU ASK THE QUESTIONS AND I'LL TRY TO ANSWER.

VINCE

(no login)

Clarence Pruett

No score for this post
July 11 2003, 7:32 AM 

Would you happen to remember PFC Clarence Pruett. He would have been the old man. He was older when he joined the Marines during WW II. I have a picture of him in Tientsin sometime in late 1945/46. I think he was there until 1947.

Ed Pruett
US Army Retired
MSG

limitwheel
(no login)

Tsingtao too?

No score for this post
March 19 2004, 10:40 PM 

I have posted some photo's of Tsingtao that my father had in his sea bag...Check out the web link:http://www.worldisround.com/articles/36767/index.html

(no login)

RE: Tientsin

No score for this post
September 5 2004, 1:07 PM 

I know my Dad was there to guard the trains at one time. He told me the driver would keep tea hot by the firebox. I have seen some pictures of the area. It looked cold. Would you recognize anything from back then? I would be happy to share with anyone interested.

I am just trying to get a picture of what went on. I would like know of anything that happened during the WWII era. Anything would be helpful.

Gary

(no login)

Tientsin

No score for this post
August 18 2005, 5:59 PM 

I was in Tientsin in 1946 with the 1st Pioneer Bn, 1st Marine Div. I would like any info that you might have during this time in Tientsin. Thanks

Ralph Durham

(no login)

Re: 1st Div.11Marines,

No score for this post
January 3 2004, 10:43 PM 

Did you Know Russell "Cactus" Randolph.

(no login)

Tientsin

No score for this post
June 24 2003, 9:28 PM 

My uncle Clarence Pruett died last year. He was a China Marine in 1945 in Tientsin. I have pictures of him from that time. He had one stripe, so I assume he was a Private.

I gave all his papers to my nephew who used to do chores for my uncle and would hunt on his small farm in IL. I know he was one sharp Marine in those days.

I really don't know more. The best I could do would be to get a copy of the pictures for you.

Ed Pruett
US Army
Retired

(no login)

Tientsin

No score for this post
August 18 2005, 6:04 PM 

I was in Tientsin in 1946. I would be happy to share with you my memories of that time. Do you have any pictures of Tientsin?

(no login)

I Have Pictures

No score for this post
August 25 2005, 7:26 PM 

Just some stuff I scanned from my dad's old scrapbook. It isn't very high resolution but it might be interesting. I would like to send them to you if you can receive attachments.

(no login)

Hsin Ho, Tangu, Train guards

No score for this post
July 2 2001, 5:45 PM 

Been sitting on the side listening to you jarheads chat. I was stationed at Tangu with 1st Bn. 5th Marines. We had train guard also and also guarded the Division Ammunition Supply Point. I fell in lust and married a German girl who ran a restaurant in Tangu. Her name was Ursula and her brother was Walter. If you want, you can see myself, bride and buddies at
WWW.artwiegand.com I guess we were all skinny in those
days. I joined CMA at one time but have let it lapse, someone send me an application please. Semper Fi, Chuck Hauer

(no login)

i was there

Score 1.0 (1 person)
July 16 2001, 9:45 PM 

stationed in Tangku, Hopei Province, North China from 2/46 to 7/47, then to Guam....part of lst Bn, 5th Marines.....we lost 6 KIA and 16 WIA at HsinHo Ammo Dump on April 6, 1947....May the good Lord bless and keep our fallen comrades....

(no login)

I was there, too.

No score for this post
June 4 2004, 5:46 PM 

I was in the 110th replacement draft. We left San Diego in Dec. of 1946 and I ended up in Co. A, 1st Batallion, 5th regiment in Tangku (pogey rope, doncha know). I used to go to the movies on Guam at the Perkey Bowl, named after a youngster Perkins who was one of the 6 KIA's. I believe that he was only 16 or 17 years old. I also remember a fellow named Schancupp (not sure of the spelling). He had the misfortune of sitting on one of those Jap grenades that the commies were using, but he survived. We got a letter from him after he got home signed "your half-a.... buddy".

E. G. Richey (Jerry)

(no login)

110 th Replacement draft

No score for this post
June 18 2005, 9:03 PM 

I was also in this group. Does anyone remember the name of the ship that took us to China?

(no login)

Is that you, John?

No score for this post
September 12 2005, 9:11 PM 

Am wondering if you are the John Gaugan who was a good friend and worked in the Personnel Office of 1/5 at Tangku, and later on Guam. If so, would very much like to hear from you. Semper Fidelis, piedpiper6@goliad.net

(no login)

Train guards

No score for this post
March 18 2003, 8:08 PM 

Joined the Marines in April 1945.
Went to Paris Island, was met by Lou Diamond, which I understand was rare, since he was there only a short time, then went to Lejune.
Lucky that I was a really little ****, because he only knocked down the big guys, but I was scare ****less.
After boot camp went to Philly for radio operator school, then to Quanitico, then the war ended.
A queer thing happened then, which may never have happened before or after.
They put us communicators on a private railway car, actually there were two cars, big empty things, and sent us from Quantico to Pendelton to get aboard this troop ship to go to China.
We got a real grand ride across country on that train, cooking our own food, with those big train car doors open for us to watch the countryside as we chug-a-luged.
Do not recall who was in charge.
One of our buddies was killed at Pendelton, believe they said he was hit by a car while walking down the road. He was a real swell fella.
As I recall, we were really stacked on that troop ship, in hammocks, hung about 6 or 8 high, with the hammock above ya almost touching your nose.
I am not sure where we anchored in China, but the name Tangu seems to ring a bell.
They took all day to unload all of us, so we did not eat all day.
It was really cold, so we kept on all are cloths and boots.
We were assigned to quonsets, I believe, with two bunkers. I had a top bunk, we just laid fully clothed on the pads to sleep.
It was already dark, but before we could sleep, they called us out for chow. We went to some huge building, which was set up as the mess hall.
After finishing eating, we all went back to get some sleep, it was a long day, but they called us all out again, and took us to that same mess hall, and fed us again....because the rules said we had to have 3 meals a day, guess we must have had breakfast on the ship.
The next morning we were loaded on a train and headed South, I guess it was South, because I ended up at the French Arsenal.
We were all kind of excited on the train because we had Marine train guards with loaded weapons, and were told that we could be attacked at any time.
We were never given any ammo though.
I do recall tald about the Tangu ammo dump, and how the Chinese would raid it all the time, and how the Marines on guard there had to walk their posts under full lights, and were always easy targets for the raiders.
There was a small town outside the Arsenal, and a few bars with girls...of course.
A few of us would go to Tientsen for liberty once in awhile, which was a few miles away. I believe that there always had to be at least 4 of us going, and we always carried loaded carbines because the Reds liked to take us out if we could, probably thugs too.
The jeep always went to the Tientsen YMCA, and we would take off from there. Very dark and deserted streets, as I recall. We had to get back to the YMCA at a certain time to all drive back to the Arsenal.
I used to always go to this huge building, called the French Bizzare, I think. The outside was solid stone wall, but inside was circular, empty in the center, with all the shops along the outside.
I used to go to this one shop on about the 5th or 6th floor and try to dicker for these ivory balls, one carved inside another. Could never get them down to my price.
I recall hearing that one marine had tried to walk back to his unit, which was just on the outskirts of town, along some railroad track, and they found him the next day, garroted with his private parts stuffed in his mouth.
I would never have been that stupid.
The worse was the guard duty in the middle of winter, and especially the rifle range, which was outside the Arsenal.
I got stuck with walking from about the 500 yd line to the pits, man was that scary.
All bundled up in a parka, with big mitts on, and with the hood on, one could no see anything, and the wind was howling, I mean late at night. Every bush look like a chinaman. Always kept a round in the chamber (which you are not supposed to do) and my bayonet on.
It was really the guys in the pits that had all the trouble, since the villages were after the wood from the targets. Recall one guard was attacked, and when roving patol got their, they found a meat hook in the back of his parka, did not go thru though, but that really scared us.
Never got so drunk in my life at 17, on that Chines cheap whiskey and beer in the club.
Think we were all drunk most of the time, and screwed anything we could catch.
That's why Mame Ike said that all China Marines should be sent to a rehab center before being allowed with the American public.
Went from the Arsenal to Tsingtao, and stayed there until we pulled out of China.
One of the jerks that worked with me in the Comm center was one of the guys that took a jeep way up into red commie land and got held as hostage.
Oh yeah one of my buddies at Tsingtao, shot and killed a CHinese guy while on guard duty at this motor pool. He was kinda a hero then, but sure am glad now that it was not me who killed the poor beggar for nothing.
At Tsingtao, I always liked to go to the dock area bars and challenge the swabbies.
They used to come ashore in groups, looking for a Marine to beat up, They like to wear those big rings, so they coud mark a guy up, which three did to me one night, but a small chinese boy in the bar, a good buddy of mine called the MP's before a lot of major damage could be down.
Had lots of Chinese friends there, especially the rickshaw boys, whom I always greeted and gave out goodies whenever I drove out the back gate to pick up watch officers.
Never was that good a Marine though,
Oh yeah went to Honolulu Marine camp to go to a crypto school, and we almost got mugged by the Marines at that post because they didn't like outsiders, but one of our guys was a little tougher than their leader, LOL
Wait, wait, I did spend some time on Guam, that was where we went from the French Arsenal, almost forgot, and I volunteered to go back to China, which was Tsingtao.
Man, did we drink the beer on Guam.
Drink all night, and when they announced 10 minutes to closing, we all bought a few more case.
Geesh do I have the stories, but gotta quit here.

(no login)

Leaving the French Arsenal

No score for this post
March 19 2003, 9:20 AM 

Just recalled that when we left the French Arsenal to go to Guam, we went on LST's. Can you imagine a trip like that on the Pacific in those small crafts. Man, I recall it was really bumpy sometimes. In addition to all the vehicles in the hold, we had a few tanks, and the tanks got loose during a storm, and a few of us had to go down into the hold to secure the tanks, otherwise there was the chance of the tanks going thru the sides of the LST. I tell ya, we were really scared of being crushed by those tanks when we went down there.
I do recall one evening,looking thru the galley porthole, and seeing this really big can of strawberries, needless to say, there were some very happy Marines on board that night.
Oh yeah, we made it to Guam.
They had cleared some piece of Jungle off, way back in the interior, where we set up our tents, and that is the way we lived for quite some time, just drinking beer and roaming around. A couple of us went exploring one time and saw some caves. Two local Guamanians came up on their way to hunt bats in the caves, and offered to give us a ride back to our camp. Looked like they were concerned for their womenfolk....with good cause of course...we were not looking for BATS, LOL.
I believe it was the 5th Marines that were stationed on Guam at that time. We really felt sorry for them guys because all they did all day, day after day, was grind crystals. I guess the crystals were for electronic equipment. There whole tour had to be spent on Guam, and they could not transfer out, so we were told, and there was nothing on Guam, nothing. Going near the Guamanian women was strictly taboo, and the Guam people where very christian, from what I understood at that time, so there were no honky tonks, poor guys. That's one of the reasons me and another guy put in for China duty again, and went to Tsingtao. Don't recall any of the other guys doing that.
We, my buddy and I, did get to see the guys again, when we were sent from Tsingtao to Hawaii to go to this crypto school. Everybody gets bumped at Guam. So everyday, my buddy and I would hitchhike back to the old camp and drink beer all day, and return to the navy billet at night to see if we were on a flight out.
This went on for a few days, then one night after our return, this Navy yeoman comes in with a flashlight, mad as hell, and wanted to know where we had been, He said it was scrapping and painting for us hereon, and that if we left again, we would never get on a flight out. So the next day we were resigned to our fate, but we were on a flight the next day.LOL.
Oh yeah, I once took a weeks leave from Tsingtao to go to Shanghai, I wanted to get a job with General Chanault, that guy who ran the Flying Tigers.
I was in there office in Shanghai talking to one of their guys about a job when he came thru. A really big blustering fellow. He was shouting something, I forget what, but allthe staff jumped thru the hoop.
Didn't get a job, but Shanghai life was something else, at that time.
Oh yeah, I found this place, called the American Club, I think it was, and everyone was so friendly. One guy even asked me to come to his place for supper, which I accepted. He was afraid to get into a rickshaw, of course I wasn't afraid of anything, I was a Marine. at that time anyway.
Turned out this guy was gay, so I left his place around midnight, with him begging me to stay otherwise it look bad to his Chinese staff, yeah, like hell.
Went out and the first sleeping rickshaw I saw, I kicked the thing and said to the YMCA, One had to act aggressive there at that time, or you could get your throat cut.
The next day when I went back to that club, I was told it was for members only. LOL

(no login)

Tsingtao

No score for this post
March 20 2003, 12:09 AM 

Just want to add a little more history to the China adventure.
When I was at Tsingtao, the medics ran out of penicillin, and could not get fresh supplies, so they had to use arsenic to treat VD.
Man, were the guys really scared of getting VD, but the guys in the VD ward were the happiest bunch of guys I ever saw.
Yes, I was there for a short time, but it was a false alarm, thank goodness, but I really saw some rare cases, and I do mean RARE, but as the old saying goes "if ya play ya gotta pay" LOL.

(no login)

French Arsenal

No score for this post
April 5 2003, 10:50 PM 

Would like to hear from Stan to see if he was at the Arsenal in 1946 from jan to Sept or later,
John Deines

(no login)

Arsenal

No score for this post
August 21 2005, 8:37 PM 

I am researching the background for a book on Japanese rifles, which will include the copies made in China. Regrettably little historical information is available on these aresenals. Please pardon the stupid question: What is the French Arsenal? Teintsin Arsenal?

Frank

(no login)

Your story brought back fond memorys.

No score for this post
October 22 2005, 12:30 PM 

Me too -- I was working in the message center MAB 1 French Aarsonel. Pulled train Duty three times General Sanderson took me flying so I could get flight pay. Also learned to fly piper as you may remember there was O Y 1 based there at the Arsonal. "Wish I could remember the Top SGt that took me under his wing. He would have been shot for letting me take the stick" The village next the Arsonal was Tong Gusa. I bought Pearls for $18.oo at the French Bazarr. Sold them in the states for over $500,as my steady gave me notice at discharge. Hope your health is well --They call me "Shot"

(no login)

No score for this post
October 22 2005, 12:31 PM 

Me too -- I was working in the message center MAB 1 French Aarsonel. Pulled train Duty three times General Sanderson took me flying so I could get flight pay. Also learned to fly piper as you may remember there was O Y 1 based there at the Arsonal. "Wish I could remember the Top SGt that took me under his wing. He would have been shot for letting me take the stick" The village next the Arsonal was Tong Gusa. I bought Pearls for $18.oo at the French Bazarr. Sold them in the states for over $500,as my steady gave me notice at discharge. Hope your health is well --They call me "Shot"

(no login)

No score for this post
October 22 2005, 12:45 PM 

Me too -- I was working in the message center MAB 1 French Aarsonel. Pulled train Duty three times. General Sanderson took me flying so I could get flight pay. Also learned to fly piper as you may remember there was O Y 1 based there at the Arsonal. "Wish I could remember the Top SGt that took me under his wing. He would have been shot for letting me take the stick" The village next the Arsonal was Tong Gusa. I bought Pearls for $18.oo at the French Bazarr. Sold them in the states for over $500,as my steady gave me notice at discharge. Hope your health is well --They call me "Shot"

(no login)

No score for this post
October 22 2005, 12:52 PM 

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
December 11 2003, 2:55 PM 

I was at peiping with I"marine air
wing , from april of 1946 to about
july 1947.I rember our base was called South Field and the chinese
air force , was also on the same
field, From their was at guam may
be Agana Guam, im not sure.
Would Love to here from you
Joe.

(no login)

VMF 115

No score for this post
September 28 2005, 9:11 PM 

I WAS ATTACHED TO VMF115(JOE'S JOKERS)--JAN.'46 TILL '47 WHEN WE WERE ORDERED OUT BECAUSE OF THE COMMIES. I WAS A FLIGHT LINE MECHANIC KEEPING THE CORSAIR IN THE AIR. AT THE SAME FIELD WAS THE CHINESE NATIONALIST AIR FORCCE.

(Login lenhof)

MAG 12 VMF-115

No score for this post
March 24 2006, 4:50 PM 

Any chance you knew my Dad? Leonard R, Hofmann Sr.

I know he was there in 1945 Peiping.

Len

(no login)

Peiping China Marine

No score for this post
December 11 2003, 3:18 PM 

Was their about MAY 46 to JULY
47.Was in I;st. Marine Air Wing
South Field.

(no login)

Peiping Marines

No score for this post
October 28 2004, 6:43 PM 

I was there although not sure it was South Field. Are you still on-line?

(no login)

Peiping China Marine

No score for this post
October 28 2004, 8:28 PM 

Was their about MAY 1946 to JULY
1947 Stationed at South Field

(no login)

Peking duty

No score for this post
August 26 2004, 11:20 PM 

Was stationed in peking, 6 mos, then Tangshan 6 mos, then back to Peking for 6mos until we shipped out to Guam. While in Peking I ran the 5th Regiment PX warehouse wiich was located next to the gate that was across from the Russian Legation. We were in the Italian legation area. I Guess from what I understand we had the only hot water tank in the compound. I was afraid to use it without keeping a close eye on the damn thing because it had no safety popoff valve. I rmember Jacobson was in the engineers at that time. Also remember there was an incident about a dog, can't recall what it was all about though. Spent alot of time in the hutungs uplifting my education as we all tried to do. Would like to go back there but I guess it has all changed.. Moon Mullins and I went fomr one end of the Forbidden City to the old Mongol Campgrounds at the other end. Couldn't get into any of the buildings. Damn Chinese didn't trust Marines. Was quite an experience. The Summer Palace was well worth the trip too.. Wish I'd have had enough sense to get to the Great Wall. Can stiil get the smell of the Chinese garlic. Don't really want to mention the "honeydippers". Remember the Red Cross club in the Italian Legation. They used to come to our mess hall in the American Legation and get our ice cream and then sell it to us for 10 cents a cup. They'd come to my warehoiuse and get all the Coke they wanted for free and then charge us for that too. That really irked me. Haven't had any use for the Red Cross since. Better slam the lid on this so that I can get to bed or watch the rest of the Olympics or something,, Sempre Fi , Ed

(no login)

Tangshan

No score for this post
August 8 2005, 9:41 PM 

Came to China in '46. Stayed in barracks in Tangku after coming up the Yellow Sea from Tsingtao. Train to Peiping took all day and then was assigned to communications. Played baseball (pitcher) in Tiananmen Square when it was a dirt field. Chiang Ka Shek's boys were drilling at the other end. Played several more games there and also at the airfield. We always won.
Transferred to Tangshan. Stayed there until we were informed to go home. (July '46)
Not sure if you know this..but Tangshan in 1968 blew up(earthquake) killed more than,(get this) 600,000. Some say, even more.
Got around playing baseball. Linsi, chingwontao, peitahoe. One time we were placed on alert. I just read that at the time Mao had us surrounded with 35000 commies. I never saw any although some of the guys in my group did run into some trouble outside of Tangshan.
If you were in Tangshan, that little dirt compound, it's possible I could have run into you somewhere or you could have remembered the guy in our group who had to climb a 40-50 foot double stacked telephone pole to get it operational.
Let's hear from you.
Lew

(no login)

Tangshan

No score for this post
August 8 2005, 9:56 PM 

Came to China in '46. Stayed in barracks in Tangku after coming up the Yellow Sea from Tsingtao. Train to Peiping took all day and then was assigned to communications. Played baseball (pitcher) in Tiananmen Square when it was a dirt field. Chiang Ka Shek's boys were drilling at the other end. Played several more games there and also at the airfield. We always won.
Transferred to Tangshan. Stayed there until we were informed to go home. (July '46)
Not sure if you know this..but Tangshan in 1968 blew up(earthquake) killed more than,(get this) 600,000. Some say, even more.
Got around playing baseball. Linsi, chingwontao, peitahoe. One time we were placed on alert. I just read that at the time Mao had us surrounded with 35000 commies. I never saw any although some of the guys in my group did run into some trouble out of outside of Tangshan.
If you were in Tangshan, that little dirt compound, it's possible I could have run into you somewhere or you could have remember they guy in our group who had to climb a 40-50 foot double stacked telephone pole to get it operational.
Let's hear from you.
Lew

(no login)

Peiping

No score for this post
January 20 2005, 6:01 PM 

I was with George Company , Nov 1946 until we moved out for Guam in May 1947

(no login)

Peiping Marines

No score for this post
October 28 2004, 6:27 PM 

I was also in First Marine Air Wing, Mag 12. Forgot squadron number but it was the resurrected one from Wake Island. We also had F4U's which were replaced. Was in Zamboanga during war on the flight line but at Peiping they had me doing what they trained us for, radioman on a 5 circuit line, Tsingtao, Peiping, Shanghai and two others. Barracks was an old stable with a few pot bellies which I never got close enough to. Things were now very lax so we rented a room in the Peiping Hotel and spent a lot of time there and at the Red Cross facilities. Would love to hear from you.

(no login)

Anping raid

No score for this post
November 15 2004, 11:26 AM 

Were you active when the comm. attacked us at Anping
which is half way between Tinseng and peping ?
That was our outfit, we were a medical unit stationed in Peping at the time.
Shortly after that we were sent back to Tinseng, where we were in a Jap girls school on the edge of town.
That was when the **** hit the fan.

Semper Fi( I still get goose bumps when they play the Marine anthem)
Corpman Hm1 Jim stuart

(no login)

China Marines

No score for this post
January 4 2001, 4:48 PM 

Sarah, I just replied to Lyle Hopkins. I was at Zamboanga on island of Mindanao and went up to Taku China on USS Sheridan in October `45. I was in SMS12 Marine Air Group 12 1st Marine Air Wing at West Field in Peiping China until about April of `6 and we all moved to South Field in MAG 24. I was NCO in charge oftrnasient officer quarters at South Field untill July of `46 and came home USS Gen. J.C> Breckenridge.
Is your husband a member of the China Marine Association? It only costs $10 ayear. He should definitely be a member. Let me hear if he`s interested.
Semper Fi My home address is 1856 Hunter Ave., Mobile, Ala., 36606-1331.

Robert E. Stephens, Jr.
(no login)

Father served with First Marine Air Wing.

No score for this post
April 5 2001, 7:47 PM 

Dear Madam: My father served with the First Marine Air Wing in China. Please see one of the other messages I posted on the message board. He can be reached at (606) 376- 2042 or
Robert E. Stephens
1200 Lick Creek Rd.
Whitley City, KY 42653
I know he would enjoy hearing from your husband.

(no login)

texas holdem

No score for this post
September 19 2005, 8:35 PM 

I am up insurance stack deck house <a href="http://www.babybearshouse.com/texas-holdem.html"> online texas holdem</a> game straight number wheel <a href="http://www.babybearshouse.com/texas-holdem.html">http://www.babybearshouse.com/texas-holdem.html</a> lowball <a href="http://www.babybearshouse.com/texas-holdem.html">texas holdem</a> http://www.babybearshouse.com/texas-holdem.html .

(no login)

Concerning husband Robert Callahan

No score for this post
April 6 2001, 7:53 AM 

I've been showing my husband responses to my posting. Most of them would be after Robert left China. Robert went into China October 1945 and left February 1946. Robert was with the forward echelon.

(no login)

There at same time frame

No score for this post
September 4 2002, 3:42 PM 

I was there with the 1st. Marine Airwing, Mag 24, stationed at West Field.

Left there sometime in Feburary, back to the states, landed in San Diego and received Dischage in April 1946.

(no login)

Leon Hall MAG 24

No score for this post
October 8 2002, 9:55 AM 

My Dad was discharged in May 46 as well. He was called Lynn sometimes (South Georgia accent) Any info would be great. I know he was in china 45-46 but I don't know much befor that. His DC papers say "incomplete due to wartime conditions" He had mentioned Mindeno, a liberty ship getting caught in a typhoon etc.. Let me know if you can tell me about the 24th

(no login)

China

No score for this post
October 8 2002, 11:29 AM 

Sorry, don't recall the name. I was connected to the construction and maintance group, I was an electrician, took care of the electrical power generators, etc anything having to do with electricity including the landing strip lights, etc.

Yes we spent Christmas at New Guinea, stationed at Mindanao setting up the area, went to Manila, later on to Peking and yes we did ride out one hell of a Typhoon. We had three LST's(I think that is what they called them, carried troops and equipment, the bow doors would open up and ramp would down in order to unload) and one escorting destroyer. When the Typhoon hit each ship was on its own. When the Typhoon was over all ships regrouped and ended up off the China Coast and then on to Peking by rail.

Again I'm sorry I don't have information on Lynn, your father. Maybe a picture could jog my memory.

Henry

(no login)

Leon Hall

No score for this post
November 12 2002, 4:32 PM 

Doug:I served with a Leon C. Hall from Ga.We were in MAG24,1stMAW in Mindanao and China in 45-46. Also rode out a typhoon on a LST. In China we were stationed on an airfield south of Peking at Nanyouwan (South Field).The last time I saw the Leon I knew was in Richmond, Va.in the late 50's. Leon was in Richmond attending a meeting and if my memory serves me right he was working for the State of Ga. and was working for or with the blind.

Could this be your Dad?

(no login)

Leon Hall

No score for this post
December 21 2002, 11:28 PM 

Yes, was my dad. I would like to find out more about his time in the Marines. He never really talked about the war but I always knew it was important to him and that he was "always a Marine". I know he was in the pacific. I have some good pictures from China and a picture of him and a couple of other sargents taken in San Diego just befor his discharge. One of them is signed Chuck. Surly that can't be you?? I would really appreciate it if you would give me your e-mail adress.

(no login)

Picture- Leon Hall

No score for this post
January 14 2003, 2:39 PM 

I have several pictures of Leon C. Hall that I would be glad to forward to you.

If interested, please send your mailing address.

(no login)

No score for this post
January 18 2003, 11:42 AM 

I scanned a picture, attached it to an e-mail, sent it to" d_bHall1114@msn.com" and the e-mail was returned as undeliverable as the address has fatal errors, what ever that is.
Please advise. Chuck

(no login)

Picture attachment

No score for this post
January 18 2003, 2:51 PM 

I attached the picture to your e-mail and the email was again returned as undeliverable.
A copy of the picture is in the mail.

(no login)

please help

No score for this post
January 28 2003, 9:37 PM 

My name is Michael Wang and I am originally from Tianjin (Tientsin) China. I would like to interview some marine who was stationed in Tientsin during 1946-1948 for my project. I wish you can help me.
My email address is
tjmichael2002@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.

(no login)

Tientsin / 1946-48

No score for this post
June 4 2003, 5:20 PM 

Michael Wang -
I was with the USMC in Tientsin and Tsingtao fro Oct 1946 to Feb 1948. Was with the 1st Motor Transport Battalion, 1st Marine Division - while in Tientsin our Barracks was the "grandstand" of a horse race track!

Will try ro help you with your project, but my memory is not too great about details of over 55 years ago!

Bill Chapman

(no login)

More China Marines

No score for this post
July 11 2003, 7:37 AM 

Bill,

My uncle was Clarence Pruett. He was in Tientsin from late 1945 to about mid 1947. I found a picture of him during that time. He was older than most of the Marines there.

Also, you might want to write to this email address. Her father was a China Marine from 1946 to 1947. He is still alive. She just visited him. Her name is Martha.

mborrow@girltech.cs.rice.edu

Ed Pruett
US Army Retired
MSG

(no login)

In Tisnsin Dec.46 to Oct47

No score for this post
March 3 2005, 5:39 PM 

I was in motorpool
also drove C.O.

(no login)

Motor transport

No score for this post
April 24 2005, 8:08 PM 

Does Anyone remeber Trell (Tris) Yocum, he was my dad, and would like to learn more. I believe he was a motor sargeant. Thanks for Your help

(no login)

Leon Hall MAG 24

No score for this post
October 8 2002, 10:19 AM 

My Dad was discharged in May 46 as well. He was called Lynn sometimes (South Georgia accent) Any info would be great. I know he was in china 45-46 but I don't know much befor that. His DC papers say "incomplete due to wartime conditions" He had mentioned Mindeno, a liberty ship getting caught in a typhoon etc.. Let me know if you can tell me about the 24th

(no login)

1rst Marine Air Wing

No score for this post
August 2 2002, 1:20 PM 

Sarah,
My Dad served in the 1rst MAW,He served in the Asiactic-Pasific,also was in Pieping,& Tiensin,China. He was a few years younger than your husband but pulled that duty in 1946-1947.His name was Henry Wells,pfc he was from white plains,NY.We moved to Pa. in '61,anyway he did alot of Boxing in the Corps, I have pictures of him in the ring on the ships. Did your husband ever hear of him,If not does he have any knowlege of the boxing program from that era? I lost my dad to cancer on 5/13/02.Although he Was "MY HERO" & I thought I knew everything about him, I find that there is so much more to learn.I also served in the Corps from 1980-1984.I was the only 1 of 6 kids to follow in my dads foot steps & at his request recieved his flag at his funeral from the Honor Guard.Any way I'm tring to find out as much of his USMC history as I can and any info would be of help.e-mail is USMCcrashcrew@aol.com
Tom Wells /Lancaster,Pa
"Semper Fi"

(no login)

China Marine

No score for this post
December 12 2003, 8:57 PM 

I was in Peiping China May 46 to Aug 47 ,I was sta. at South Field. 1'st Marine Air Wing .

(no login)

Dear Friend/Brother.

Average Score 2.0 (2 people)
February 4 2004, 4:42 AM 

Dear Friend/Brother.

It is with hope that I write to seek your help in the context below.I am Abdulmadu Sultan, Son of late Mr Sultan .My father
was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Accra Ghana on the 8th of July 2002 while in office .my father was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip .Before the death of my father on November 2001 in a private hospital here in ACCRA he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum($5.6million us dollars)left in fixed / suspense account in a Security Company
here .

Fortunately, his lawyer had secretly protected the personal will of my dad from the notice of the investigators and has strictly advised that the ($5.6million us dollars) should be urgently moved to an overseas account of any trustworthy but ANNONYMOUS foreign partners/ friend without delay, for security reasons.That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose such as real estate management or hotel management and that they should use my name as her first daughter for the next of Kin indepositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates.

The security company has equally guaranteed 100% risk-free and smooth clearance of the fund. If i can provide a reliable and trustworthy that are interested in assisting me in it .Then i shall ask the lawyer to contact you immediately so as to tell you what to do. I am honourably seeking your assistance in thefollowing ways:

I will require your banking information as mentioned below:
1. Name to be used as beneficiary and beneficiary’s address.
2. Your private and confidential telephone/ fax number(s)
3. Your bank name and address, your bank Telephone and fax number(s).
4.Or if you are not comfortable with providing your existing
account, you can within the shortest possible time, confidentially open an entirely new (Virgin) account for the transaction.

I hope to conclude this business within within the shortest time ,when i receive the necessary details from you. Looking forward to your anticipated and urgent positive response.

I look forward to your quick response while thanking you for your
cooperation in view of all the above details,I request you to keep this operation highly confidential and forward your telephone/fax numbers to enable you discuss terms with our lawyer.

Best Regards, Trust and seriousness is our key word.

(Abdulmadu Sultan)

Current Topic - 1st Marine Air Wing... 1st Division in China
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
CHINA MARINES
"Ten thousand gobs lay down their swabs to fight one sick marine" "Ten thousand more stood up and swore, Twas the damndest fight the'd ever seen"
-Tell It To The Marines, Lon Chaney, 1927
Gunny G's Archives
Articles, Stories, Etc.