Keeping photos private if transfering to skydrive from webtv/msntv2

by affa

In case anybody is saving the photos to skydrive from WebTV/msntv2 as instructed in the WebTV closure letter.
I noticed when I did my transfer of photos it said public on the bottom of the album, which meant the entire public had access to my photos. If you want your photos private then follow instructions below -I received from Microsoft Forum.

How can I make a public folder only viewable to selected people?

I have a public folder but wish to share it only with selected contacts. How do I do that?

Microsoft Forum Moderator

SkyDrive has Public folders and Shared folders. Shared folders are visible to specific people that you select, while Public folders are visible to anyone. If you would like to restrict access to your folders that are currently marked as public, follow these steps:

1.Go to SkyDrive, (you might need to sign in with your Microsoft account).
2.Go to and click on the file or folder you want to change, (you may need to expand details pane on the right).
3.Under Sharing, find the entry for Everyone, (you may need to choose the Properties icon located directly below your profile picture).
4.Click Remove permissions. It should say "This folder is not shared" after.
5.Click Done or close.

Now, if you want to grant access to the folder for specific people, follow these steps:

1.With the folder still selected, click the Share link
2.Type the email addresses of the contact you want to share the folder with.
3.If you only want that person to be able to view the folder but not edit the files inside that folder, uncheck the Recipients can edit box.
4.Click Share.

Once those recipients open the link in the email, they will be able to access the folder. People without a link to the folder will no longer be able to access files in that folder.

You can use this process for any file or folder on SkyDrive.

To make a folder or file public again, open the same sharing screen, click on the Get a link tab, and click on Make public. The file or folder will now be visible to anyone who gets to your SkyDrive via the link

Posted on Sep 23, 2013, 4:53 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

• Re: Keeping photos private if transfering to skydrive from webtv/msntv2. d n on Sep 25, 2013, 10:13 PM