You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Squire's Gretsch

June 14 2017 at 10:26 PM

pumpo  (Login pumpo)
IAWS2

I spent quite a lot of time thinking about John Squire's Gretsch and, specifically, how it sounded like it did.

At first, I just thought that was what Gretsches sounded like and it was due to the pickups or the tone switch, having not really got too close to it with Gibson semi acoustics or strats, I ended up getting a Country Gent and going so far as to get hold of a SuperTron front pickup for it - it wasn't any of that. Mine had proper f holes, not painted on ones, so I thought it was that, tried one and it wasn't that, either. I thought it was probably the amps. I had a Fender Twin and it wasn't that. I thought it might have been the combination of the Mesa and the Fender, then I heard that and it wasn't that, either. Then I thought it must be the pedals and went through various permutations and setting before again realising, none of them were actually it either.

I read what the guitar player out of one of the tribute bands wrote on Paul McAuley's site - he had all the gear, but he struggled to get the Gretsch sound that Squire got. He decided eventually that - and this is where it gets a bit much - the pickup selector switch was wired wrong and when it was in the middle position - which is usually both pickups on - actually, he must have had the neck pickup on, something like that, I might be misquoting him, I can't find his article at the moment - it was on Paul McAuley's Thisisthedaybreak.co.uk now a hotbed of Militant Catholicism, sadly. Anyway, that's not it, either.

What it is, I've realised, is that his Gretsch was wired incorrectly, but not like the Squire-alike bloke from Ian Brown's band thought; they're wired out of phase.

I'd been faffing about with my strat and, without going into specifics, had an out of phase option. I switched it on and there it was - Squire's live sound from about 1989.

I looked into out of phase wiring on the YouTube and whilst most of the examples are horrible, occasionally one of them picks a few notes and that's what it is.

The question, I suppose, is whether Squire was aware of what it was or not. Or, rather, when he became aware of what it was. His One Love Jaguar alike guitars had an out of phase option. Whether any of his Les Pauls have, or did, I don't know either.

Anyway, for anyone who wants that 1989 Squire sound, don't worry about the guitar, the amp or your pedals. Get a guitar with at least two pickups, wire them out of phase and in your middle position, you have the 1989 Squire guitar sound.

This message has been edited by pumpo on Jun 15, 2017 9:01 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Squire's Gretsch - ac3 on Jun 14, 2017, 11:17 PM
  3. Re: Squire's Gretsch - cheekymonkey on Jun 15, 2017, 8:01 AM
  5. this is the one - David on Jun 15, 2017, 9:24 AM
  7. I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - DC on Jun 15, 2017, 3:47 PM
    1. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - pumpo on Jun 15, 2017, 5:03 PM
      1. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - Me on Jun 15, 2017, 6:33 PM
        1. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - pumpo on Jun 15, 2017, 9:42 PM
      2. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - pumpo on Jun 15, 2017, 7:53 PM
        1. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - Martin Clunes on Jun 15, 2017, 8:29 PM
        2. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - Love Cuts on Jun 16, 2017, 8:15 AM
        3. great stuff - David on Jun 16, 2017, 9:06 AM
        4. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - conspiracy theory on Jun 16, 2017, 9:11 AM
        5. lovely stuff - DC on Jun 16, 2017, 1:48 PM
        6. Re: I can't profess to have any detailed guitar knowledge* - pumpo on Jun 16, 2017, 9:31 PM

Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement