You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Re: The Roses made their choice

August 9 2017 at 2:05 AM
G  (no login)

Response to Re: The Roses made their choice

John Leckie.

I think that his musical vision for,& marshalling of, the group in '88/'89 was absolutely crucial to their subsequent success & to a point that many Roses' fans are possibly unwilling to accept. Yes, there were the demos but they were rough diamonds. Yes, there was the will & ambition & neither of those qualities or the songs appear to be present now, but I think Leckie was the factor that tipped all that over into greatness. Albeit for a brief moment.
By the time of Second Coming he'd lost his authority with the group. He could no longer channel them & that was it. TSR was a result of a combination of elements coming together. This was less about the Roses as a band in the conventional sense & more about a moment built on personalities & creative visions temporarily gelling. And not just between the band themselves & Leckie but the dovetailing with a generation of fans in terms of cultural reference points, drugs & attitudes. Needless to say, this was never going to repeat itself a quarter of a century later. Even on a minor level. It's amazing it happened once.

As far as the reunion goes. It was fun. I don't regret them doing it. I'd go & see them play the same set again if they choose to.
Whatever they had back then, there was still a piece of that this time around, but another great album or, indeed, any kind of album was never going to happen.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement