You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Re: Niam and Loel

October 18 2017 at 5:14 PM

pumpo  (Login pumpo)
IAWS2

Response to Re: Niam and Loel

I know what you mean. The lyrics aren't very good, mostly. Some of them are horrible. I was surprised to see that Chinatown wasn't written by Liam himself, because they're dreadful.

On the other hand, I'm inclined to think that Liam might have some hidden depths.

If someone had written, I don't know, smartarse lyrics or literary lyrics, I can't see Liam carrying it off. Not that pop lyrics have to be poetry - I don't think they are, really; not Bob Dylan either - to be good.

I've mentioned Paper Crown and, lyrically, I think it's pretty good. Most un-Gallagheresque, I thought, but again, I think he can sing psychedelic lyrics nicely, because he is a bit psychedelic. If we're going to think about literary merit, while he didn't write the lyrics, what are they?

It"s an extended metaphor relating to the temporary and superficial nature of success, with a bit of an acid tongue about it. It's no 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'Positively 4th St' or 'I Am The Resurrection' - or any number of finger pointing songs The Roses did so well, but it's not bad and he doesn't sound like he struggles to convey the message in it. Melodically, it's reminiscent of early 70s guitar pop and the instrumentation lacks a bit of personality, but I suppose it's a solo record isn't it?

Bearing in mind that Oasis' lyrics were almost always shit, I consider some of the album as a big step in the right direction, even if he didn't write them, he had enough about him to accept them and do a good job of it. Mind you, he accepted 'Take me to Chinatown, show me that you know some places,' as well and that's just she-iiiiitt-eh.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Niam and Loel - q on Oct 20, 2017, 11:33 PM
    1. Re: Niam and Loel - Stella on Oct 23, 2017, 6:46 PM
      1. Re: Niam and Loel - q on Oct 23, 2017, 7:27 PM

Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement