You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

November 10 2017 at 4:17 PM

pumpo  (Login pumpo)

Response to Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

I was into The Smiths at the time and I still like them now. I started secondary school in 1982 and finished in 1987, meaning The Smiths were more or less perfect for me - all that adolescent angst and what have you. Johnny Marr was ace, but I liked Moz just as much.

I like Viva Hate and a couple of the singles after that, but by that point I'd stumbled upon The Roses, whose ethos was pretty much the opposite of The Smiths. It was like being allowed to enjoy yourself without having to check your brain in at the door.

Johnny Marr with other bands never really grabbed me, apart from the first two Electronic singles. Solo either.

Johnny Marr seems like a decent chap, but who knows? His book was boring. Morrissey seems like a total dickhead. His book was boring in a different way to Marr's. I didn't bother with his novel.

That's me, I don't know if there's much love for The Smiths in general from The Roses' fans or not. In my younger days, when I was in bands, I knew a drummer who was into The Smiths, but that was it. The band I was in for the longest, the rest of them hated The Smiths, a couple were into The Roses. My limited experience was that not many musicians liked The Smiths, which I found odd because Johnny Marr's shit hot. Probably not noodly enough for most guitar players, who tend to show off a bit and like a lot of distortion, I suppose. Maybe that's partly why I love The Roses' first album and can't be arsed with the second at all.

This message has been edited by pumpo on Nov 10, 2017 4:18 PM

Respond to this message   

1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - stiv on Nov 10, 2017, 4:44 PM
    1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 10, 2017, 6:27 PM
      1. Marr - OPP on Nov 10, 2017, 7:06 PM
        1. Re: Marr - pumpo on Nov 10, 2017, 7:21 PM
          1. Re: Marr - cheekymonkey on Nov 10, 2017, 10:12 PM
            1. Re: Marr - Jim on Nov 11, 2017, 11:18 AM
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement