You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

November 11 2017 at 2:27 PM

pumpo  (Login pumpo)
IAWS2

Response to Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

I'd be surprised if Mozzer didn't hate The Roses as they pretty much called time on him being the focal point of the weekly music press by mid-late 89. He regularly championed bands, but not for long and not often bands who were up to much. Eastethouse, anyone? Pfff.

I like Hatful more than the debut - a lot more - and I like TQID and Strangeways, too. MIM, I struggle with a bit. It sounds metallic. Not heavy metal, but it sounds like disprin tastes to me.

On the whole, I think they were more a singles band - like The Jam, really.

Rockabilly Mozzer was when I lost interest. I don't like any of it.

I met Joyce and Rourke, I don't know, fifteen years ago or thereabouts. The band I was in supported Aziz. The ex Smiths were both really friendly and unassuming, most happy to sit around and natter with us after. This was after the court case and Joyce, in his words was 'loaded'. He didn't slag Moz or Marr off, though. Aziz was a bit more impressed with himself, although he did offer to lend me his amp in fairness to him. I didn't want it - I never got on with Marshalls. Rourke was a bit off his tits, but he was very enthusiastic about our band and took demos and talked about us for a bit in interviews, which he didn't have to do. It led nowhere really, although we got taken out for tea by people at Twisted Nerve a few times. They were alright as well.

Anyway, yeah. I never met Moz or Marr, but people I know who've met Marr have nothing but good things to say about him.

I thought Joyce - being the weakest link - was exactly what was needed for The Smiths. A flashy drummer who could play really well might have been a bit much. Like Buckler in The Jam: great for that sort of thing, but when Weller was shifting to Style Councilly stuff on The Gift, it was clear that Buckler couldn't do that sort of thing to save his life. You wouldn't want someone flashy on most of The Jam stuff.

Shit drummers, eh? I don't include Ringo among them, incidentally. Having a big nose and a face like a St. Bernard doesn't make you a crap drummer.

This message has been edited by pumpo on Nov 11, 2017 2:34 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - G on Nov 11, 2017, 6:37 PM
    1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - G on Nov 11, 2017, 6:43 PM
      1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 11, 2017, 7:37 PM
        1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - G on Nov 11, 2017, 8:43 PM
          1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 11, 2017, 9:04 PM
        2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 11, 2017, 8:56 PM
          1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - interesting on Nov 12, 2017, 5:06 PM
            1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - interesting on Nov 12, 2017, 5:08 PM
            2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 12, 2017, 5:20 PM
              1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Int on Nov 12, 2017, 11:44 PM
                1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Int on Nov 12, 2017, 11:58 PM
                  1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Very Anonymous on Nov 13, 2017, 11:51 AM
                  2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 4:35 PM
                  3. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 7:22 PM
                  4. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 6:44 PM
                  5. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 7:37 PM
                  6. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 7:52 PM
                  7. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 8:48 PM
                2. Smiths / Roses - tHE hEDGE on Nov 14, 2017, 10:19 AM
                  1. Re: Smiths / Roses - dunc on Nov 14, 2017, 12:15 PM
                  2. super post, dunc - DC on Nov 14, 2017, 2:12 PM
                  3. Re: Smiths / Roses - cheekymonkey on Nov 14, 2017, 6:45 PM
                  4. Re: Smiths / Roses - Intel on Nov 15, 2017, 6:40 AM
                  5. Re: Smiths / Roses - Stella on Nov 15, 2017, 8:54 AM

Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement