You are in > ON TOPIC

Return to Index  

Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

November 11 2017 at 8:56 PM

pumpo  (Login pumpo)
IAWS2

Response to Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park

Ringo's ace, full stop. I thought the world had moved on from reckoning he was rubbish - maybe it has. Like I'd know, eh? happy.gif

A Day In the Life? Strawberry Fields Forever? Rain? Ridiculously good drumming.

Joyce was good enough live - just about - but so were most indie drummers at the time. Who was good? Steven Morris was. The kid out of ACR was better than Joyce. Most of them were pretty crap. The difference with The Smiths was that the guitar player and the bass player were both shit hot, and most indie bands weren't much cop. Not that it necessarily matters, too slick's no good, either. In the wrong context, anyway. Maybe that's what they should've done: gone late period Roxy Music instead and done the misery equivalent of Avalon or something. Can't imagine why they didn't think of that...

The remasters, I got hold of on vinyl. I've not bothered with the new Queen Is Dead box because I've already bought the record at least four times. I got the demos and instrumentals that Joyce naughtily put out a couple of years ago. I can't be arsed for nigh on £100, or whatever it is.

I thought they weren't as good as the original records. I don't know what the original cds sounded like - apparently crap - because I didn't have a cd player until about 1998. The bass and drums were turned right up and the guitars lost a lot of sheen, I thought.

You know the Pepsi Challenge? Not many people prefer Pepsi to Coke (apparently - I don't like it), but they tend to pick Pepsi in a blind challenge and the reason is (apparently) because i) They chill the Pepsi and not the Coke, and ii) Pepsi is sweeter than Coke, which makes people initially prefer it, although they usually don't over a longer period - like a full bottle.

That's how I feel about The Smiths' remasters: initially, the drums and the bass being louder and beefier make it seem better but after not very long, I didn't like it anymore and went back to my original preference. Maybe I should've put them in the freezer first. I had a copy of Urban Hymns that regularly didn't work unless it'd been in the freezer for a couple of hours first. Not great loss, really. I thought it sounded even better when I just left it own the freezer and didn't bother trying to play it.

And yes, Moz is tapped. Maybe he always was, but I'm not convinced that people saying "yes" to him is the best thing that could have happened in terms of him developing a less, erm, Nigel Faragey personality.

For the record, I didn't think Bengali in Platforms was racist, but later dubious lyrics I wasn't so convinced about.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - interesting on Nov 12, 2017, 5:06 PM
    1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - interesting on Nov 12, 2017, 5:08 PM
    2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 12, 2017, 5:20 PM
      1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Int on Nov 12, 2017, 11:44 PM
        1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Int on Nov 12, 2017, 11:58 PM
          1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - Very Anonymous on Nov 13, 2017, 11:51 AM
            1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 4:35 PM
            2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 7:22 PM
          2. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 6:44 PM
            1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 7:37 PM
              1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - cheekymonkey on Nov 13, 2017, 7:52 PM
                1. Re: Ian Brown to support LG at Finsbury park - pumpo on Nov 13, 2017, 8:48 PM
        2. Smiths / Roses - tHE hEDGE on Nov 14, 2017, 10:19 AM
          1. Re: Smiths / Roses - dunc on Nov 14, 2017, 12:15 PM
            1. super post, dunc - DC on Nov 14, 2017, 2:12 PM
            2. Re: Smiths / Roses - cheekymonkey on Nov 14, 2017, 6:45 PM
            3. Re: Smiths / Roses - Intel on Nov 15, 2017, 6:40 AM
              1. Re: Smiths / Roses - Stella on Nov 15, 2017, 8:54 AM

Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement