Re: John squire, the “artist”December 15 2017 at 12:28 PM
|G (no login)|
Response to John squire, the “artist”
Bland? Well, there's lfew things more subjective in the creative arts than fine art/painting. Particularly when you start wandering into abstract & conceptual art which Squire did around the time he became fixated on the likes of Cy Twombly.
I think his celebrity series of works was a clever little package with it's easy to get concept of the Islamic/icon juxtaposition, as well as having decorative appeal & celebrity reference points. But it - or him as an artist never really took off, which is the lottery of the contemporary art world for you - manipulated, fickle & cynical. Ironically, his fame as a musician didn't probably help much, despite being in a different league to Ronnie Wood, who's childish shitty painting sells for fuck knows what. Or Dylan & his lightweight offerings & you can chuck Paul Simonon in there too. Squire is far more sophisticated than all of them.
Personally, I prefer his figurative work - specifically the image of the dolphins that adorns this website. It's a nice example of a sort of pointillism & you really have to know what you're doing to pull that off. There's no question that he's a talented painter as well as having great visual ideas - his adaption of Pollock's abstract imagery was a brilliant stroke which fed so well into the homogeneous approach of the band at that time - & had he chosen the path of an artist earlier on, as opposed to a musician, I think he would have had a good a chance as any of succeeding. Luckily for us, he didn't.
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - Love Cuts on Dec 15, 2017, 1:59 PM
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - G on Dec 15, 2017, 2:43 PM
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - Dddcg on Dec 15, 2017, 3:31 PM
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - G on Dec 15, 2017, 4:23 PM
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - Dali on Dec 15, 2017, 4:37 PM
- No - John Squire on Dec 15, 2017, 11:18 PM
- Re: No - Stella on Dec 17, 2017, 4:48 PM
- Re: John squire, the “artist” - Love Cuts on Dec 15, 2017, 5:41 PM
- The dolphins - OPP on Dec 16, 2017, 1:52 PM
- Re: The dolphins - Spoondick on Dec 18, 2017, 1:29 AM
- Re: The dolphins - twombly on Dec 18, 2017, 9:50 PM