You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How many SR gigs have you attended, and why do you continue going to see this band?

April 28 2017 at 1:40 PM
MOON HEAD  (no login)

Not long ago, it was rare to meet people who had seen the band........ at least in my generation! Now I know many of us have been to half a dozen gigs or more, since the reunion. I'm proud to say I am one of those, however it is no longer so exciting - The reason I keep going to another gig is because there was always hope (HOWEVER UNLIKELY) of a new song, at every gig. I would much prefer them to be playing new songs. I know I am in the majority in that respect, so I wonder if the band are really not aware of these feelings we have? I am really scunnered at why there could be a delay. All for one is not a bad song, I think it received a great reception at the ethiad because of it being a new song, but I doubt they could release anything worse than it :D

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
tHEhEDGE
(no login)

Re: How many SR gigs have you attended, and why do you continue going to see this band?

April 28 2017, 5:18 PM 

I've seen them twice - Second Coming Tour (written out of history) and Heaton first night. I also saw Ian Brown do his first 'Roses' set at Esher in 2004.

Weirdly, I'd actually rank Heaton probably last. I loved the Second Coming show - the lights, vibe, Squire's playing - hearing the new songs... seemed like a living, working band. Brown at Esher was a great surprise, fantastic setting and again, great no-knobhead vibe. Heaton was good but I suppose a slight anti-climax. A lot of the crowd were clearly those who missed out first time (myself included, I suppose).

I reckon Mani is aware. He seems like the most grounded. I sense the rest probably know that the cow has been thoroughly milked into the ground and needs putting out to pasture now. I don't think they really care about credibility. After the songs last year, it's probably for the best drawing a line.

Respond to this message   
MOON HEAD
(no login)

Re: How many SR gigs have you attended, and why do you continue going to see this band?

April 28 2017, 5:35 PM 

I'm really surprised they couldn't write songs together, Ian's solo stuff was great as was Johns (minus the vocals) Mani has been active, so those three should be able to take a magnificent drummer and come up with something brilliant. It is bizarre that they haven't. I guess they could have been too fussy and wanting to take time like they did for all other releases, but that ship has sailed now and they have lost credibility.

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

April 28 2017, 6:56 PM 

I've seen them 13 times over the years and I'm off to Leeds - saw the Rub, Squire solo, the Seahorses, Ian Brown 12 times solo and I've seen Mani in Primal Scream twice PLUS once in Freebass. Seen them in Australia and Barcelona this time around and Paris years ago.

Excessive? Probably but then it's a night out seeing a great band and although I don't go to so many gigs these days (seen most bands I'm into and life moves on with other interests). The last time at the Etihad I went twice and it was that good I'd have gone on the third night also, however they need an LP to keep it interesting.

I'm off to see Cymande tomorrow a Ronnie Scotts in Soho and Kraftwerk in June, I keep an eye on listings but like the Mondays its just a bit lame playing the hits - fair play to them, it satisfies the majority in attendance.

Respond to this message   
boon
(no login)

May 3 2017, 11:43 PM 

Except it wasn't his first Roses set.

The first time he played Roses songs was at the Village venue, Dublin the night before.

Respond to this message   
Northern Soul
(no login)

June 12 2017, 3:05 PM 

Leeds will be my 7th time...1st in Newcastle Riverside 89, then Spike Island, Whitley Bay Ice Rink (2nd Coming), Heaton Park, Glasgow Green & Etihad. Another "greatest hits tour" might make me assess how many more I go to but I'm excited for Leeds (indoor, more intimate than a Stadium)

Respond to this message   
Brunky
(no login)

Twice

May 6 2017, 11:40 PM 

Durrrrrrr

This message has been edited by chipsandrice on May 7, 2017 8:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Funky Junky
(no login)

Re: Twice

May 7 2017, 12:07 AM 

Interesting comment regarding reading, and good point. The show has been brought up time and time again for being the "worst concert" but it was a show which featured 2 new songs! One of them still unreleased and another which became a solo track. It featured some great Aziz guitar. Maybe not Ian's best performance, was it his worse though? Dancing girl was not such a great idea (maybe if she had been really fit then I'd change my opinion)
Did the band play new songs at any of their warm up shows before reading '96 or was it an exclusive? I would like to hear them surprise us with new music at a concert, don't think they have the bottle for it unfortunately, can't see them proving me wrong. If they had given fans "all for one" at some live gigs, before releasing it, it would have been much better.

Respond to this message   

pumpo
(Login pumpo)
IAWS2

May 7 2017, 2:36 PM 

The tide's turning stella!

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

May 8 2017, 3:43 PM 

I read that and thought it sounds like a post I'd make - is it a C & P? Bizarre

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

waves at the 1970s

May 8 2017, 1:07 PM 

"Dancing girl was not such a great idea (maybe if she had been really fit then I'd change my opinion)"

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement