You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Opinions pre reunion and post reunion?

May 21 2017 at 11:37 AM
Sid  (no login)

How has the reunion altered your opinion of the band members and band as a whole?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin Clunes
(no login)

Re: Opinions pre reunion and post reunion?

May 21 2017, 1:11 PM 

I don't see them any differently. They may not be releasing any more albums, but they done something none of us can honestly say we could see ever happening, reform. If nothing, I have total respect for them doing that. We'll miss them when they're done.

Respond to this message   
Sid
(no login)

May 21 2017, 1:39 PM 

It was nice to see the most famous line up but the thing what excited me wasn't seeing them play live gigs, it was hearing them create new music together. They did a great tune and an alright one, but took them many years. If the rumours about other music existing but Reni unable to record due to fitness reasons is true, then maybe he should hang up his sticks and bow out.

Reni was not the first drummer, he was the best though. That will never be forgotten so he can be proud of that after these gigs, surely there is a young drummer who is fit and raring to go, who could try and follow in his drumbeats? I think Reni would be proud to see the boys create some magic and write a new chapter.

Worst case scenario, a basic drummer could do a job, just to get these tunes recorded. John and ian both made some great tunes solo and used several drummers for that. Squire/Brown/Mani still have it, that's for sure! Who are the best drummers around these days?

Respond to this message   
flipflop
(no login)

May 21 2017, 11:29 PM 

the reni not recording because of a knee injury story is bollocks - 100%. that would affect live work well before studio. he must be fucking knackered after each and every gig coz it is quite a workout - but he can't work in a studio environment at his own leisure where he doesn't need to play for extended periods of time? sure.

Respond to this message   
Sid
(no login)

May 22 2017, 2:03 AM 

Yea it sounds a bit far fetched to me too mate

Maybw they are just messing with us, to put us off the scent

Respond to this message   
Steve LaMacq
(no login)

May 22 2017, 5:04 AM 

Or maybe they don't want to say the real reason

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

May 22 2017, 5:52 AM 

Which is?

Respond to this message   

cheekymonkey
(Login chipsandrice)
IAWS2

May 22 2017, 9:42 AM 

The drummer's a cunt.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

May 23 2017, 1:22 AM 

There are plenty of good drummers out there.

Respond to this message   
false flag
(no login)

May 23 2017, 3:12 AM 

Armageddon, come Armageddon!
Come, Armageddon! Come!

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

could he be replaced?

May 23 2017, 10:38 AM 

Not sure the fans would be that bothered as long as the sound was broadly similar.

He's good yes, but there are enough bloody youtube fans covering his stuff adequately...

Respond to this message   
tHE hEDGE
(no login)

Easily

May 23 2017, 12:25 PM 

They ballsed up replacing him in 95, but I don't think they'd make the same mistake. The guy who plays with Ian Brown (Maxi?) would be fine.

He's not the player he was anyway. As soon as I saw that double kick drum set up I smelt trouble.

And I'm probably in a minority here but I've always preferred Ian Brown's version of FG to the current wankathon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBYprFBJfs

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

thanks

May 23 2017, 12:40 PM 

I'll listen to that later.

I would be more than happy for them to actually do a record with another drummer. If it really is Reni that is causing the delay, then I've got no loyalty to him.

If they could get some decent tunes to the standard or just a little bit more polished that BT, then I'd be happy.

Respond to this message   
dunc
(no login)

Just a thought

May 23 2017, 1:17 PM 

But it's very possible that the contract states that they can only record or tour under the roses name as long as it's Brown, Squire, Mounfield and Wren. He could be covering his arse after the last time.

Respond to this message   
flipflop
(no login)

Re: Easily

May 23 2017, 1:06 PM 

yep, i agree maddix was ill suited for a band like the roses, but getting a drummer in like maxi would be worse because he is so unremarkable.

Respond to this message   
Martin Clunes
(no login)

May 23 2017, 2:05 PM 

It's all 4 or nothing I'm afraid. I think Reni is just waiting out the binding contract, then he'll quit.

I wouldn't go see them with another drummer. Can you imagine The Beatles with a new member? Just doesn't work, the four are such big figures. It didn't work in 1995, it'd never work again.

Respond to this message   
flipflop
(no login)

May 23 2017, 2:08 PM 

except it would work without reni. the same way it could work without mani. i don't think anyone's downplaying reni's playing ability - but the general fan wouldn't be that arsed and it wouldn't affect ticket sales. there aren't many fans who wouldn't want to see them because reni's left. the second coming tour wouldn't have been a bigger success if reni had been there.....

Respond to this message   
Martin Clunes
(no login)

May 23 2017, 2:17 PM 

The Second Coming Your would've sounded a damn good bit more listenable than it did though, and the set list would've been mighty. Plus those ludicrous keyboards probably wouldn't have arrived either.

The reason the bucket hat is so iconic and recognised is because of Reni, the symbol of the Roses alongside the lemon. Dunno, I don't think you can remove any of them now and successfully pull it off.

Respond to this message   
tHEhEDGE
(no login)

May 23 2017, 2:58 PM 

Lets face it - they've been pulling it off despite Reni ever since he got the hump when they used a loop on Fools Gold.

He's become as much an albatross as the first album. If he won't / can't record new songs - get rid.

Right now I think most Roses fans in possession of a fully functional central nervous system would, given a choice of another stadium-shagging tour or 10 new Squire-Brown songs, snap your arm off for the latter.

Respond to this message   
MJ
(no login)

Reni...

May 23 2017, 3:25 PM 

I remember posting that i thought Reni came across as an annoying prat at the original press release. It was not a popular opinion at the time.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement