You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HERE LIES THE RUB

July 8 2017 at 4:50 PM
NeedlesEye  (no login)

Mik Grant has a couple of live Rub tracks on Sound cloudhttps://soundcloud.com/miki-g-1/sets/the-rub-bootlegs

If Reni had assembled a decent group, the Rub would have been great. He had the songs and the voice, but not a band. What a waste that none of those songs have ever come out in any form.

I was told many moons ago that Reni was kind of pushed into those gigs to try and quickly raise some funds and after not making any money on the gigs and no record labels breaking down his door he retreated back to his drug den, sorry - home. Also, been told he doesn't stick around after gigs because he's scared of relapsing.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Therubandatug
(no login)

Smack

July 8 2017, 6:41 PM 

Im not really certain the songs were any good.
For a man who people claim to be a very talented musician his output since the roses is a big fat zero.
says it all really.

Respond to this message   
NeedlesEye
(no login)

Re: Smack

July 8 2017, 7:34 PM 

I think those songs were great - just not presented live as good as they should have been. Reni was like a man possessed at those gigs. He made a point of signing someone's ticket with "I ain't no fucking junkie", but after the persisent rumours and him looking like a textbook smack rat well yeah!

I can't see Reni doing solo stuff again at least live, even after the "return" with the Roses. I think his "altered state of mind" gave him a confidence to perform live out front, which he wouldn't normally have had. Maybe I'm wrong - but he was kinda confrontational and kind of out there during those gigs.

I can't remember if it was rumoured that Leckie wanted to produce Reni - or was that just someone's suggestion? Intrigued to know more of what really happened after those gigs.

Respond to this message   
Therubandtug
(no login)

Smack

July 8 2017, 8:25 PM 

He probably would have been the most interesting solo project. He could have played every instrument and sang as well.
It's actually his guitar playing that stands out for me.
But he done fuck all.
There used to be a photo kicking around on a roses website of him onstage that left you in no doubt of his herion addiction.
Despite the ill feeling between him and Ian. Ian never once mentioned his habit. There is a slight reference on johns first solo record.
It's probably the smack that led to his no shows at roses photo shoots and rehearsals and it's probably why the band used loops.
You had john on the white, Ian on the green and Reni on the brown. And mani on all three. Didn't help matters

Respond to this message   
Anon
(no login)

Didn't deny it either

July 8 2017, 8:37 PM 

I recall an interview where Ian was asked about Reni's heroin addiction, and he said something like 'well, he wasn't getting up till 8pm'

Respond to this message   
Me
(no login)

The Rub demo

July 8 2017, 10:03 PM 

Respond to this message   
The canuck
(no login)

Never heard that before

July 9 2017, 1:47 PM 

I always wondered if they actually got anything recorded or not. I thought there was potential for something decent

Dan

Respond to this message   
Therubandatugfromzammo
(no login)

Nuggets

July 9 2017, 2:18 PM 

It sound very 60's psychedelic garage rock.
13 floor elevators sort of thing.

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

Re: Never heard that before

July 9 2017, 3:23 PM 

doesn't that sound more like a solo home demo though? would be interested in hearing fully formed recordings ala the live gigs.

Respond to this message   
johnny bravo
(no login)

It sounds great!

July 14 2017, 12:03 PM 

It already sounds more dynamic than the bass-heavy sound and growly vocals of their live sets; I have a bootleg of one of their shows and all the songs ending up sounding the same, but this track is really v interesting, I mean the guitars sound like Shuggie Otis or something but goes into the harder edge of rock at points, almost country at others, and nice vocals. I never bought into the anticipation of a Reni solo album, but kinda do now.

Can anyone rip this to MP3? The link doesnt seem amenable to my usual means...

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

link

July 14 2017, 2:28 PM 

Respond to this message   
Kind Chimp Anne G
(no login)

Re: link

July 14 2017, 11:26 PM 

Amateur amateur, Reni sounds like a bit of an amateur here. Some nice bits in particular the guitar stuff but sounds as if he is a squire /brown tribute act. He made a good decision leaving the rub stuff as unreleased but he could have brought some ideas to the table

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

July 15 2017, 3:49 PM 

Mellow like lemon tea 👍👌

Respond to this message   
J
(no login)

Smack

July 9 2017, 1:35 AM 

I read that interview earlier:

Reni left first. Rumour has it he was on heroin…
“Yeah. Well, he didn’t get up until 9 o’clock every night.”

Can you confirm the smack stories?
“Not really. It’s one thing we’ve never really talked about because he’s got kids and he’s never really done an interview since. It’s down to him.”

Fair enough. But there was heroin in the Roses camp?
“It ended up being, yeah. And that’s what probably also fucked it all up because you can’t play with junkies. Unless you’re all junkies.”

Quite shocking really

Respond to this message   
G unky
(no login)

July 9 2017, 4:50 PM 

Yea you also can't have anyone messing with it if you want decent music, I doubt it has any creative benefits.
Drummers need to be fit and Reni is now fit so it's a real shame if he does not want to stay a rose and make new music his own words were "new stuff conquers all". Why does he not come up with some lyrics and get his new stuff out there, I bet if it's decent the other 3 will be happy to go with it

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

July 9 2017, 5:47 PM 

no drug has a lasting positive influence over the creative process - dope included. dope rendered ian hopeless/hapless in writing for second coming.

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

link?

July 10 2017, 3:32 PM 

n/t

Respond to this message   
johnny bravo
(no login)

link

July 24 2017, 12:50 PM 

Thanks for posting the Reni mp3, I googled the quote and heres the interview:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/stone-roses-resurrection-ian-brown-john-squire-mani-reni-speak-74175/3

The interview is from 2006, its interesting how Ian keeps referring to the band as "this beautiful thing", guess it gives more credence to the lyrics being about the band itself and probably having been written a long time ago

Respond to this message   
johnny bravo
(no login)

July 24 2017, 12:54 PM 

And I wonder if the first verse is referring to how Ian felt about Reading 96 not being so bad and the press having it in for him beforehand: "There was no crucifixion, just lies to steal your mind / Now I know that you're thinking I'm running out of time"

Respond to this message   
Vape Man
(no login)

July 9 2017, 11:27 AM 

I feel bad for Reni if that is true, horrible drug for anyone to have addiction problems with. It really has no benefits at all, unlike marijuana which can be so inspiring and has many benifits when used properly and not mixed wit tobacco, which is almost as horrible a drug as heroin!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement