You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Seahorses

July 10 2017 at 1:55 PM
Chris Helmet  (no login)

Surely it's time for The Seahorses to get back together? We can finish off that second album, the one about the dolphins was shaping up to be one of the big hits of 1999.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
stiv
(no login)

Re: The Seahorses

July 10 2017, 3:07 PM 

lol. i know you're takin the piss, but squire dropped them and wouldn't give chris helme the time of day. particularly not for a tour of o2 academy sized venues. the seahorses were quite popular, but that was fleeting and you'd be looking at a kula shaker size reunion.

advise to any buskers who get picked up by an established songwriter with a major label record deal and management - if you start getting in a strop because the guy with the record deal is writing most of the tunes, things aren't going to work out very well for you. fancy getting plucked from obscurity and fucking it up like that by letting fame get to your head.

Respond to this message   
tHE hEDGE
(no login)

Chris Helme OBE

July 11 2017, 9:40 AM 

LOL at advice to buskers happy.gif

But alternatively, perhaps alcohol gave Helme the clarity to realise that the material being written by "the guy with the record deal" was absolute toilet.

He decided his dignity and reputation were worth more than any "fame" he'd garner standing on stage singing "I'm in love with a lady called Lara".

He basically took a bullet for us all and you should thank him.

Respond to this message   

cheekymonkey
(Login chipsandrice)
IAWS2

Re: Chris Helme OBE

July 11 2017, 11:15 AM 

Squire said he booted him because he shut his eyes when he was singing.

pfft.

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

July 11 2017, 8:45 PM 

no he didn't. squire said that helme nearly didn't get the gig because he didn't like the way he closed his eyes when he sang.

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

July 11 2017, 11:35 AM 

yeah, coz he wasn't in a strop because he thought he was charlie big potato and incorrectly thought he'd be able to wrestle control of the songwriting/publishing money after one album. finding out otherwise, he thought he'd set up a solo thing in tandem and was slapped down.

and if he was so principled, how did he end up going through pre-production sessions and getting all the way to the studio all for squire to end up walking out and dropping them? he thought he should be making as much dough as squire, fuck all to do with creative principles. helme would have recorded the second album using it as a springboard for his solo stuff, but got the rug pulled from under him. oh dear.

tomb raid - yeah, i'm pretty sure squire knew the lyrics were comical. deliberately so.

Respond to this message   
Me
(no login)

July 11 2017, 11:43 AM 

Lyrics aside, the Guitar playing on that Album is fucking special and Tony's production is awesome

Respond to this message   
Martin Clunes
(no login)

July 11 2017, 12:48 PM 

Glastonbury 1997. Surely beats Ian Browns hideous vocal performance at Reading for me.

Respond to this message   
Pat Sharp
(no login)

July 11 2017, 10:01 PM 

The speccy drummer fucked that one up.

Respond to this message   
Martin Clunes
(no login)

July 12 2017, 12:23 AM 

Helme did add quite a bit to it, both shite on the day.

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

July 11 2017, 1:53 PM 

do it yourself gets trashed, but in terms of britpop albums and specifically 1997, it holds its own. great guitar work aside, there are some really nice vocal melodies on there. people attack some of the lyrics - but that wasn't squire dropping his standards, it was just indie music press/fans not getting or accepting jovial lyrics. some of them are hilarious and they were meant to be. at least some thought went into them, unlike a lot of ian's sky/high type lyrics.

their first drummer was really sloppy live (watch love is the law on tfi - he can't stay in time at all), and then they toured with some session players which was a bit weird. but if they'd finished a second album, which would have had a bit more scope than the debut (the bootleg doesn't have a couple of the better songs, and does feature things that would have been bsides), they may have been looked back at a bit more fondly and helme may have actually been able to launch a solo career. but instead he played up because he wanted more than a couple of tracks on the album and threw it all away.

Respond to this message   
Jemba
(no login)

July 11 2017, 2:54 PM 

Have to agree, helme must be pretty thick to blow that, sea horses were only good cos of Squire but I'm not into them anymore. Still like to listen to Squire on their album but helmets vocals are posh

Heard he had a bit of a booze problem though so maybe he wasn't thinking clearly when he threw it all away

Respond to this message   
tHE hEDGE
(no login)

July 11 2017, 1:19 PM 

I've no idea mate. I'm only being semi serious. It's a shame Ian McDonald isn't still around to write the definitive history of the Seahorses "in the studio".

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

July 11 2017, 1:33 PM 

right you are

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement