You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How much would you pay for a roses 3rd album?

August 29 2017 at 12:53 PM
Severed head  (no login)

I would pay £12.99 for a regular cd

If it was a limited edition signed copy, £25

If it was a deluxe signed bundle with limited Squire print and t shirt, £99

They could rake in the cash without even having to do a gig, just wrote a few tunes that's all

I don't believe it is over. Everyone who gets a taste of the hard cash, wants more. We are all guilty of that. I'm making £100 a day and I can't allow myself a days break, just give me the money lol

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
stiv
(no login)

it isn't over until....

August 29 2017, 2:42 PM 

some toys got thrown out of the pram and a lot of disrespect thrown at reni (and it's obvious that both mani and ian weren't on amazing terms with reni from the get go of the reunion), but ian was apparently "going solo" last year and they have still not made a statement. i'm glad someone put the kibosh on ian solo tunes being badged up as roses, but i reckon within the next five years they will have played live again. unless the semi-public smears against reni have ensured he'd never sign up for more of course.

Respond to this message   
Lion
(no login)

Re: it isn't over until....

August 29 2017, 7:07 PM 

Have to say I think it is in Ian's best interests to patch things up with the beat master. I think IB solo tunes are "ok" but now that I've seen the stone roses and comparing those reunion gigs to Ian's solo shows, I would not pay to see him solo again. It was not really that good. He is going to regret going back solo, patch things up with Reni and co write with john. That is the best advice anyone could give him!

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

August 29 2017, 8:16 PM 

that's the problem though, i don't think ian and john can collaborate. neither song were the work of those two sitting down and writing together. even on the debut album, john wrote many (most?) of the lyrics and vocal melodies - those 2 songs sound pure ian and ultimately pretty poor. that isn't to say ian can't write great melodies, but if john has no input into them it isn't the stone roses surely....... it's just ian brown with john adding some guitar riffs, which makes it look like john wasn't the main songwriter when he was.

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

August 30 2017, 11:11 AM 

Interesting, I thought ian wrote most lyrics on the debut, with John contributing to most also. Ian said that for second coming john wrote the lyrics, and "took away my fun"

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

August 30 2017, 5:29 PM 

john didn't suddenly start writing lyrics for second coming - it was just due to the nature of their then relationship that he stopped including ian in writing very much. the change in lyrical style on second coming wasn't because ian wasn't contributing, it was a deliberate change in style.

i don't believe ian was the "main" lyricist on the debut - i think it was quite evenly shared, with simpler lyrics like i wanna be adored mostly ian and things like waterfall much more john. and of course john wrote the basis of every song.

Respond to this message   
Treble6
(no login)

August 30 2017, 11:44 PM 

John got a bit sneaky and wrote lyrics on driving south like "ain't too young or pretty and you sure as hell cant sing" It must have made him laugh when ian had to sing that lol, I think ian clicked on to it eventually

Respond to this message   
DC
(no login)

this is revisionism

September 1 2017, 9:19 AM 

Squire stated in a number of articles that the lyrics were about himself.

(one might say his two solo albums highlighted this!)

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

one man's revisionism....

September 2 2017, 12:20 PM 

yep, john has indeed said that in interviews. but, when you consider criticism of ian's live vocals and that john even described ian as being a tuneless knob when he was strung out on dope that you've gotta think that maybe he wasn't being 100% honest..... he was hardly going to say in an interview "yeah, i thought it'd be hilarious to get ian to sing those lines about himself" because it'd make him look a bit of a cunt. a glaring omission in their setlist since they reformed too.

Respond to this message   
Hmmm
(no login)

Re: one man's revisionism....

September 2 2017, 8:00 PM 

Initially I thought ian was getting revenge, with beautiful thing being about john. I don't think it is though, but for a man who has had an addiction to nicotine for a number of years, he don't have go on about others addictions!!! Personally I love both Ian Brown, and John Squire. Debut was clearly written by them both and that is why they get credit for it, together they are best. As for their solo stuff, both have decent stuff and not so decent. Which is a sure sign they should be writing together and not seperatly. I have got little interest in ian brown solo stuff nowadays, that ship has sailed. By some miracle they have sorted out their friendship and if they can't get back to writing together then it is rather sad.

Respond to this message   
flim flam
(no login)

September 2 2017, 8:29 PM 

IB's best stuff is when he's loved up or going for it with the political/social commentary. He does all that better than anyone out there imo. The question is whether he wants to as let's face it, he doesn't need to. His legacy and bank balance are secured for life, forever. Shame for the fans who would snap it up.

Doesn't look like the spark was there for more Roses music, between the four members, but times change. Just have to wait and see, got faith they will surprise us. And if they don't, be happy it happened etc.

Respond to this message   
G
(no login)

September 2 2017, 11:12 PM 

Your right film flam, gotta hope he meets a nice girl, I'm glad he sorted it out with squire. I was getting sick of the songs about the split!! I'm not a big fan of his own brain gear, making music is what he does best and although I like his solo stuff it is the stone roses stuff which I want to hear. All four of them, if they don't sort out their differences then they are gonna look back on these times as missed opportunities, once again!!

Respond to this message   
flim flam
(no login)

September 2 2017, 11:41 PM 

I'm sure he has a queue of nice girls, just for the fans it would be great if it was turned into epic songs. Been too long!

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

Wasn't Driving South...

September 4 2017, 6:20 PM 

..about blues guitarist and singer Robert Johnson?

Respond to this message   

pumpo
(Login pumpo)
IAWS2

Re: Wasn't Driving South...

September 4 2017, 7:51 PM 

I'm not sure how much access there was to 0800 numbers in the 1930s, in and around the Mississippi delta region, stella

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

September 4 2017, 9:12 PM 

Agreed but I'm not a million miles off am I? The crossroads, the tuneless singer who couldn't play a note, pact with the 'devil'?

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

September 4 2017, 9:50 PM 

you're not a million miles off - am sure squire has said it's a play on the story/myth of robert johnson selling his soul at the crossroads in exchange for guitar "skills".

Respond to this message   
Money
(no login)

Re: How much would you pay for a roses 3rd album?

August 31 2017, 1:40 PM 

So if it was £13 you'd never buy it?!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement