You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

John squire, the “artist”

December 14 2017 at 12:47 PM
Dali  (no login)

Anyone else think his art is very bland?

He just copied some pollock at first and then the celebrity art he did was just very basic and it really seems like he used celebrity names to sell the art.

I know his guitar playing was not totally original but it sounded good up until 2012, when he ran out of ideas.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

cheekymonkey
(Login chipsandrice)
IAWS2

Re: John squire, the “artist”

December 14 2017, 3:40 PM 

I liked the stuff he did with tiles, probably not original but I liked it.

I don’t think he’s ever been overtly original artwise but even the lemons on the LP cover weren’t his idea.

Respond to this message   
Dali
(no login)

December 14 2017, 6:03 PM 

Who’s idea were the lemons? The tiled stuff, I think was actually quite original in comparison to his other stuff, but don’t like the way he named them after celebrities or infamous people...

What about the “Marshall’s house” album! It’s an album which was inspired by paintings . I do actually like the music on the album.

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

December 15 2017, 7:19 AM 

Seahorses lp cover was great, SC was poor. Wasn't it Ians idea about the lemons on TSR album?

Respond to this message   

cheekymonkey
(Login chipsandrice)
IAWS2

December 15 2017, 2:54 PM 

Simon Taylor, the photographer for the cover

Respond to this message   

Love Cuts
(Login LoveCutz)
IAWS2

December 15 2017, 5:45 PM 

Nice one, didn't know that, I guess he should have claimed some royalties wink.gif

Respond to this message   
G
(no login)

December 15 2017, 12:28 PM 

Bland? Well, there's lfew things more subjective in the creative arts than fine art/painting. Particularly when you start wandering into abstract & conceptual art which Squire did around the time he became fixated on the likes of Cy Twombly.
I think his celebrity series of works was a clever little package with it's easy to get concept of the Islamic/icon juxtaposition, as well as having decorative appeal & celebrity reference points. But it - or him as an artist never really took off, which is the lottery of the contemporary art world for you - manipulated, fickle & cynical. Ironically, his fame as a musician didn't probably help much, despite being in a different league to Ronnie Wood, who's childish shitty painting sells for fuck knows what. Or Dylan & his lightweight offerings & you can chuck Paul Simonon in there too. Squire is far more sophisticated than all of them.

Personally, I prefer his figurative work - specifically the image of the dolphins that adorns this website. It's a nice example of a sort of pointillism & you really have to know what you're doing to pull that off. There's no question that he's a talented painter as well as having great visual ideas - his adaption of Pollock's abstract imagery was a brilliant stroke which fed so well into the homogeneous approach of the band at that time - & had he chosen the path of an artist earlier on, as opposed to a musician, I think he would have had a good a chance as any of succeeding. Luckily for us, he didn't.

Respond to this message   

Love Cuts
(Login LoveCutz)
IAWS2

December 15 2017, 1:59 PM 

G mate, I love the cover of Fools Gold, used to have the t-shirt back in the day but I'm pretty sure it's a shot of a painting through a frosted or obscure glass.

The best I found online is this

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
G
(no login)

December 15 2017, 2:43 PM 

Ha ha, there goes my theory of Squire's pointillist technique if that's the case. Is the top half of that image the original painting - which I presume is his - prior to being distorted by the glass?
Either way, it's a nice idea & works well, I suppose.

Respond to this message   
Dddcg
(no login)

December 15 2017, 3:31 PM 

Your theory still stands though. It's still a pointillist technique he's using to create the effect, no matter how it is achieved.

Respond to this message   
G
(no login)

December 15 2017, 4:23 PM 

I suppose so. And, let's face it, there's little time in the contemporary art world for traditional technique these days, sadly.
Squire, himself, doesn't appear to have much time for it either, judging by the later stuff he did. Which ironically stands in contrast to his approach to guitar playing which arguably, became increasingly focused on trad rock technique.

Respond to this message   
Dali
(no login)

December 15 2017, 4:37 PM 

If John is reading this, my message to him would be to release a third album, a psychedelic album inspired by Salvador Dali. Get a nice bag of truffles and several strains of ‘Erb and get on it!!!

Only ever seen the great man twice as a solo artist, and seen Ian into double figures. However, if the roses are finished, I think its Squire’s time to shine. He could have an album with the other 3 guesting, an album which would more than likely be his greatest work since 2nd coming. Seahorses was pish, but there is evidence in his solo work and on BT, that he can still deliver.

Respond to this message   
John Squire
(no login)

No

December 15 2017, 11:18 PM 

Fuck off.

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

Re: No

December 17 2017, 4:48 PM 

Apparently Reni has tonnes of art that Simon Spence chap balls'ed up viewing after Reni decided his book was somehow not blessed. I liked the stuff he did for the Rub too.

Reni did that Christmas card thing fir NME a couple of years back too, nevermind Squires solo work let's get behind Reni - the real heart of the Stone Roses!

Respond to this message   

Love Cuts
(Login LoveCutz)
IAWS2

December 15 2017, 5:41 PM 

There used to be better pics somewhere on the net not so long ago, a couple of years before the reunion. That's when I found out myself about the technique, no photoshop back then I guess wink.gif
Anyway, in the pic I posted you can see the glass over half the picture if you watch closely.

Respond to this message   
OPP
(no login)

The dolphins

December 16 2017, 1:52 PM 

I saw the piece at his London exhibition must be 15 years ago. The dolphins were actually cut out from a magazine Or something when you peeked under the glass.

However he did it though, it’s a great image on a great single

Respond to this message   
Spoondick
(no login)

Re: The dolphins

December 18 2017, 1:29 AM 

That image was originally going to be for the one love cover...after the 'I'm no dog, I'm a dolphin' line

Respond to this message   
twombly
(no login)

Re: The dolphins

December 18 2017, 9:50 PM 

Great exhibition at the ICA with Roses tunes blasting out.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement