You are in > ON TOPIC

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

UMB 20 years ago

February 2 2018 at 9:35 PM
Stella   (no login)

Aziz and Goldfinger touring it Sept 2018 - woo.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ibexxx
(no login)

Re: UMB 20 years ago

February 3 2018, 12:41 PM 

Ian will no doubt celebrate 20 years of UMB by releasing another classic solo album Cant wait.........

Respond to this message   
Wren
(no login)

February 3 2018, 6:42 PM 

I’m not so excited to be honest

Seen him do the solo thing around a dozen times and it was never “that”good. Anyone who says it was is lying, I loved the solarised album but for that tour, the gigs in 2004 I believe is also when he started doing roses tunes, and people actually liked that. Personally it wasn’t great. Didn’t expect much from the reunion because of that, but was blown away. Had high hopes for new music because ian brown did have a few decent tunes😗.

Maybe he will surprise me, but I’m not sure because let’s be honest nothing Will be as good as the reunion gigs and now we know they are not going to make new music together, anything any of them do will be average at best sad.gif

The future is depressing

Respond to this message   
ibexxx
(no login)

February 3 2018, 8:07 PM 

Nonsense!!! Everything BROWN made solo buries Second Coming it was Browns songs that made the Roses great...... Adored Resurrection This is the one Made of Stone Fools Gold Atmospheres at Browns solo shows were legendary thats why he got bigger year on year the others must be pig sick with jealousy over hisd solo achievements they would have loved success like that!!!!

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

"browns songs"

February 4 2018, 5:43 PM 

ian didn't write any songs for the roses other than straight to the man. john wrote the whole of the self titled album in terms of chord structures and melodies, and "allowed" ian to write varying amounts of the lyrics. if you want pure ian melodies listen to garage flower - i bet you love that album.

Respond to this message   
Kerching
(no login)

Re: "browns songs"

February 4 2018, 8:49 PM 

I’m not really hyped for ian brown solo at all, I love the guy but seen him so much now and of all his solo stuff thenonly tunes I really Love are:

Solarised.
Corpses
On track
Always remember me
My star

I don’t hate the rest of his stuff, it’s ok. It’s just well it’s just ok lol
F.e.a.r is maybe worthy of a mention.

The stone roses, are where he is an actual superstar, and the reason, because each of the Fab Four contributes just enough to make the magic. When each of them combines together they become brilliant.

I always thought the lyrics from the debut album were a combined effort from mr Squire and mr Brown?

Respond to this message   
Hebongsthezylophone
(no login)

February 4 2018, 9:29 AM 

UMB is still a great listen has much more character and charm than 2nd coming and recorded in a fraction of the time. Shame a little bit more time wasn't spent on the mixing too many rough edges in places due a reissue I think

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

February 4 2018, 5:45 PM 

that was an exciting time, and i remember the my star fly posters up everywhere. but who the fuck wants to hear those 2 do anything to mark its anniversary? not many

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

February 5 2018, 10:52 AM 

I do, I think it'll be an interesting take on that lp and era - I'd rather hear that than Adorded for the billionth time.

Respond to this message   
stiv
(no login)

February 5 2018, 2:25 PM 

ah, stella does! they wouldn't even be able sell out the castle hotel in manchester with crap like this. is erm "goldfinger" even on the album?

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

February 5 2018, 5:29 PM 

I'm sure they'll play small venues to hardcore fans like
Me, tickets will be cheap on the door and it'll be a different perspective to these songs.

Ps Inder Goldfinger played on all IB solo lps and toured with him for his entire solo career.

Respond to this message   
Ihateceltic
(no login)

Inder

February 7 2018, 5:53 PM 

That first incarnation of Ian's could possibly have been his best. Sylian on bass was excellent not sure if inder had joined by this point though. The rough edges make it a lo-fi masterpiece. I genuinely lust the punk funk loose dance number called lions now and then. But I know it's not for everyone far from it.
I like the first two albums because it's Ian all the way before started to rely on and employ talented producers

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

Re: Inder

February 7 2018, 5:57 PM 

Inder was with IB from day one, he Co wrote Fisherman and features on ever IB lp and live. Sylvian is now masseur at LFC.

Respond to this message   
Ihateceltic
(no login)

February 7 2018, 5:59 PM 

Yeah just noticed that mate. Did inder play the main drum part on the fisherman? Because for me that's what makes the song?
Pisses over the return of fisherman too

Respond to this message   
Ihateceltic
(no login)

February 7 2018, 6:02 PM 

Masseur at Liverpool fc fantastic bit of trivia there. I'm sure I knew before but forgot and still great eh? That my star bassline is a belter

Respond to this message   
Me
(no login)

February 8 2018, 3:16 PM 

The my star bassline, lead Guitar and melody was all done by AZIZ, that goes for corpses and ice cold cube.
All Ian did was the lyrics.

Respond to this message   
nono
(no login)

February 8 2018, 5:35 PM 

ha! Ian does the melody and the lyrics Aziz the guitar and bass

Respond to this message   
Will
(no login)

February 9 2018, 12:41 PM 

The My Star melody (or at least the chord progression) was by John Lennon, wasn't it? happy.gif

Respond to this message   
me
(no login)

February 12 2018, 1:53 PM 

Aziz hadn't heard of dear prudence before he wrote it, it's a natural guitar progression.
It was Ian who said it sounded similar.

Respond to this message   
Stella
(no login)

February 13 2018, 10:31 AM 

3 O'clock Jet Fighter Pilot. Ian changed the lyrics for it later on..bizarre re issue for 2000, very odd.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on Alternative and RockCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement