<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

INFO ON VMF213 1941 - 1945

September 27 2000 at 12:09 AM
No score for this post
Dale F. Ryba  (no login)
from IP address 136.1.1.33

Info on VMF213
by Dale Ryba

My dad, Frank Ryba, was a master sergeant and work on F4Us in VMF213 in the Solomons during WWII.
The reason I'm posting is I have several good b&w photos of the pilots who's planes he worked on. Some have first and last names on the photos others just first
names.
Is there anywhere that I could find information on this squadron from that time period.
I'm sure the families of these men would be happy to have these pictures.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Wallace Cloake Weintritt
(no login)

VMF213

No score for this post
February 14 2001, 7:49 PM 

My father Maj Wallace H. Cloake was a member of VMF213 for eleven months. He was shot down leading a division of F4-U against Japanese dive bombers near Kolambangara Island on 13 November 1943. I have a squadron picture with the names of the pilots and crews on the back. Would be happy to share data. Wallace Cloake Weintritt

Jim Spencer
(no login)

VMF213

No score for this post
January 6 2003, 4:35 AM 

My Father was an aviation ordanceman with VMF 213 during most of 43-44. His name was William (Bill) Spencer. I was wondering if your picture contained his name?

Thank You.

Jim

David Treffer
(no login)

My Dad was in VMF 213

No score for this post
June 15 2001, 10:40 AM 

Hi, My father A.B.Treffer was in VMF 213. He was in the Solomons in 1943. Please let me know if you have any photos. I am have a diary from January 1,1943 to August 1943. If you have any info on Lt. Winnia please let me know.

Thanks,

David Treffer

Alan Dewart
(no login)

VMF-213 "HellHawks"

No score for this post
November 20 2004, 12:31 PM 

My father in law was Leonard McCleary "Mac"-VMF 213. He died in San Jose, CA. in 1989 after a long and sucessful career post WW-II. I have just recently began searching for info and pictures regarding VMF 213 and his buddies and fellow pilots/support staff. As I come across more material I'll let you know. If you knew Leonard can you please tell me about any experiences you had with him. He has a bunch of sons and daughters who would love to find out more about him and the other pilots in the Solomons 1943. Alan

Dan McAnarney
(no login)

Researching VMF-213

No score for this post
August 14 2001, 10:40 AM 

My father-in-law, Ray Boag, flew with 213 on Guadalcanal. After reading a battle action report, I decided to try to locate the men he served with to express my appreciation for their sacrifices for our country.
I have located about 9 members of the squadron who are still living, mostly officers, but a couple of groundcrewmen. I have also located several families of men who did not survive the war.
I have several interesting photos, much of a war diary, and a few other items. Will share what I have, but also collecting additional information.

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~dkm/pilotRoster.html

Alan Dewart
(no login)

VMF 213 for Dan M.

No score for this post
November 20 2004, 1:26 PM 

Dan: My father in law was Leonard McCleary. He was a pilot with the VMF 213. But, first of all..I would like to thank you for your Web site. Without it we would never have learned about Leonard and the other pilots and soldiers during the Solomons..Thank you. Leonard was well educated at SMU and Purdue Universities. After the war he became a nuclear engineer and worked at Lockheed in San Jose Ca. During his career there he was involved in secretive work on the Apollo missions. He had a lovely wife and 9 kids, 5 boys and 4 girls. He died of natural causes in San Jose in 1989. He didn't talk a whole lot about the Solomons to his kids, therefore I am trying to piece together any info and pictures regarding
his part in the war for his children to get a good understanding of when, where, what and why. I cannot access your website at Kent State. Do you have a new website? Kent State wont let me in. Also, I would love to have a copy or high quality print on the "survivors" photo you have of Leonard, Defabio, Boag and the other 4 or five guys in that shot. I'm throwing together a file on Leonard and am trying to gather any other info from his children about the war. I will keep you updated as time goes on. My mailing address is POB 503, Cazadero Ca. 95421. kingridger@yahoo.com

Dan McAnarney
(no login)

New URL

No score for this post
December 2 2004, 11:07 PM 

As I am no longer a student at KSU, they have the site listed under my previous post up sometimes, down sometimes.

http://members.cox.net/~vmf-213

Alan Dewart
(no login)

VMF 213 "Dale"

No score for this post
November 20 2004, 1:04 PM 

My father in law was Leonard McCleary. He survived the war and became a nuclear engineer for Lockheed in San Jose CA. He died of natural causes in 1989. We would love any photos that you may have of him. We believe he went by the nick name "Mac". My address is POB 503, Cazadero Ca. 95421. Thank you Alan

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Gunny G's Archives
Articles, Stories, Etc.