Return to Index  

I made the switch to DE at 44 (prev m/c, success ment)

November 26 2010 at 10:05 PM
Julie  (no login)

Response to Trying to decide OE/DE - ex-post on over 40 board

Similar to you, I had regular cycles, always ovulated, and just thought I would be one of the 43-44 OE success stories. My FSH was 8 although some my numbers were a bit more negative. I got married at age 43 and started trying naturally for 6 months, then did 3 IUIs and went for 1 OE IVF. Most of the cost of the IUIs, related testing, meds for IUIs and then the IVF were covered by insurance. They totaled $40-$50K because of the meds needed to make sure I produced enough eggs. Always had 4-6 follies at IUIs and they actually retrieved 6 eggs for my IVF. We tx 4 embies for my OE IVF but everything OE was a BFN. The odds were so stacked against me with OE (less than 5% chance) so since I wanted a child more than I needed the genetic connection we made the switch. Got pregnant on 1st DE cycle but m/c due to chrom. issues. Next DE cycle and related FET was BFN. Switched clinics due to a move and when I did, made a move to a shared risk program. My 2 unsuccessful DE cycles cost over $40K combined and that was out of pocket. The shared risk program was $29K for 6 tries or you money back. BFN on fresh cycle but BFP on FET from that cycle. I gave birth to a little girl last Saturday. I care not one smidgen that she and I don't share genes. She is my baby girl -- no question. I would not have it any other way.

You have to make the decision when it is right for you. I was tired of trying with OE and wanted a baby. I still had problems getting pregnant -- I did fall on the bad side of the odds. BUT I have my LO now.

Good luck with your decision.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks - ALM on Nov 29
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement