Return to Index  

I would not go forward with this RE, and he's wrong about the test

March 3 2011 at 2:03 PM
BBG  (Login biogal)

Response to RE refusing to do fragmentation or antisperm antibodies

You cannot just "pick the best sperm in the lab anyway" when it comes to DNA fragmentation, unless he's Clark Kent-like and has eyes with electronmicroscopic ability. ICSI is used to select sperm with normal morphology; it cannot detect DNA normal sperm. In fact, nothing can select DNA normal sperm (though I think I read that Check had an electronmicroscope and could look at individual sperm but I haven't heard of anyone else doing that). Basically the SCSA (DNA frag test) just tells you what your husband's fertility potential is and you make decisions based upon that. Ours came back very poor, way outside the upper limit of acceptable, and we were offered TESE as a way of obtaining sperm that is less likely to be DNA damaged. Other people choose to just use donor sperm instead. But wouldn't you rather have that information before you spend a bundle on an expensive DE cycle and use sperm that could never have worked?

These REs sometimes can just be A-holes. I've dealt with a few and learned my lesson. Vote with your pocketbook and walk. There are other doctors, even if it is inconvenient to see them.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Ditto... - Kenny on Mar 3, 2011
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement