Return to Index  

Donor eggs, autism, birth defects...thoughts?

March 21 2011 at 10:58 PM
Randall71  (no login)

Hi. Before I start, I want to say that I do not intend to offend anyone. I know that children with the issues I mention below are often gifts to their families. What I doubt most is my ability to manage such challenges.

For those who have used an anonymous donor, are you worried about the donor's history (ie, what the truth really is)? I know agencies and clinics say they screen, but really, if they don't, there's no consequence for not doing due dilligence. And they don't (arguably can't) investigate the donors any more than blood tests and interviews.

This journey has certainly frightened me (opened my eyes to things I hadn't thought of), pervasive developmental disorders and autism scare me most (for now -- I'm sure lots of other things will come to scare me soon). I'm also aware that science doesn't really know why autism occurs, so can't say it's an inherited trait either. That said, I've seen articles that say the IVF process itself might contribute.

FWIW, my neighbor and her partner have two sons from an anonymous sperm donor. Both sons are autistic, while she and her partner have no history of autism in either of their families.

Thoughts? Does anyone know of a more reputable agency or clinic than another?

Has anyone heard of birth defect/developmental disorder tracking in children conceived by DE?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Your question - demomone on Mar 21
    1. autism often comes out of the blue - Orchid on Mar 21
    2. one more thing - demomone on Mar 21

2. Do keep in mind - Ariadne on Mar 21
  4. I have also noticed a lot of problems - Anonymous on Mar 21
    1. Re: I have also noticed a lot of problems - Anonymous on Mar 22
      1. darn I didn't even know about these problems - Orchid on Mar 22
      2. Re: I have also noticed a lot of problems - Anonymous on Mar 22
        1. Re: I have also noticed a lot of problems - Anonymous on Mar 22
    2. Another thing - Catherine on Mar 22

5. I think this is a great question and a real concern for many - E&H on Mar 22
    1. Don't you have to trust what the donor says? - Orchid on Mar 22
      1. No you can't test for autism (child ment) - E&H on Mar 22

6. Warning: very long (autism mentioned) - Obie on Mar 22
  8. A few comments - Leigh888 on Mar 22
  10. DSR - wt on Mar 22
  12. A woman who works with autistic children and their parents - Bear on Mar 22
  14. I can't really find problems w/ DE per se...It's all IVF problems. n/t - Orchid on Mar 22
  16. Bear makes an excellent point - minniet on Mar 22
  18. Not very knowledgeable, but I too have heard.. - Renata on Mar 22
  20. Seriously good food for thought - Randall71 on Mar 23
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement