Return to Index  

Numbers typical for Czech cycles . . . (BFN, success ment'd)

March 24 2011 at 12:11 PM
Maggie in VA  (Login maggie1961)

Response to Trends in donor egg production

Clinics in the Czech Republic don't hyperstim donors, and figures like yours are close to what most of us who cycled there see. I got, I think, 8 eggs, 6 fert., 2 made it to gr 1 blast, none to freeze. Second cycle it was 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 7 fertilized, had 3 gr. 1 embies on ET day; tx'd 2; embryologist let remaining culture and had 2 gr. 1's the next day; froze 2.

I'm not sure how much the preference for not hyperstimming rests in the belief that not doing so produces better quality eggs and how much it is about concerns over potential harm to the donor. As you probably know, in most of Europe compensated DE is illegal, and I've heard opponents of DE in the media give hyperstimulation syndrome as the main rationale for not allowing it (they invariably fail to mention that not all clinics hyperstimulate their donors to sound as though this is an unavoidable phenomenon).

But overseas we are paying about a quarter of the cost of a typical U.S. DE cycle. If I were paying U.S. cycle prices for retrieval numbers like those, I'd be unhappy, too. Personally, I think this is another aspect of the way that the de facto price fixing that makes IVF cycles so expensive in the U.S. affects treatment.

Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement