Return to Index  

I heard end of this ... link included

March 30 2011 at 9:15 PM
  (Login CTSmithie)

Response to NPR story on IVF & Twins Today

when I got into my car to commute home. I was struck by the interview with an IVF-mom of twins who is a Medical Doctor herself and barely seemed to have considered the potential risk of possible complications to herself and babies when she selected to transfer 2.

I also love that it mentioned Aetna will give it's covered patients one extra "free" FET if the initial SET fresh transfer doesn't work, effectively expanding their IF coverage. Certainly the costs of an extra IVF cycle are far lower than the costs of NICU care for preemies or treatment to stop premature labor in mom. I used to have coverage from Aetna through DH's employer but sadly we maxed it out.

The one thing that seemed missing in the story was PGD screening of the embryos in order to stop the transfer of non-viable ones. For patients who have had many failures, the impulse to transfer more than one is hard to resist, after all, if the embryos aren't tested, you have zero idea if their chromosomes are normal.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/30/134960899/taming-ivfs-twin-trend

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement