Return to Index  

Lots of good donors in the Bay Area

April 8 2011 at 2:31 PM
Leeba  (Login Leeba)

Response to recommendations on DE agencies? esp when education is on top of criteria list?

Someone mentioned RSC. PFC also has a large pool of donors - we cycled with a donor there who had a higher SAT score than I did, which made me feel happy, since intelligence was also important to me.

However, I do not think college grades (or attendance) or even SAT scores are any guarantee of passing it along genetically. I realized after lots of searching, though, that when I tell my child about her donor, I'd like to be able to say good things about her that are in keeping with what is important to me. Also included in that list were nice temperament, high integrity, family stability, creativity and other factors. I think temperament is likely to be more important in the genes than intelligence.

Like Ariadne, I also worked with Fertility Connections and found them to be an excellent agency that screened their donors well.

There was a donor a few years ago who was lying about her SAT score (forged), probably her 4.0 GPA since HS through college, and also her heritage ("100% Jewish"). Even the number of cycles she reported having done already. I'm sorry to say that this donor showed up, after doing multiple cycles as an independent, on the register of Jacke Gorton's agency, and I alerted them to this, giving them evidence, and they did not even respond to me, nor did they remove the donor's profile from their website for many months afterward (I eventually stopped looking). It disillusioned me quite a bit toward agencies, as that one is considered reputable. Other agencies I alerted, however, were grateful and responsive on this issue.

I just can tell you that having worked with PFC (clinic) and Fertility Connections, I feel they are very good at screening the donors. And both have pools of wonderful donors.

Oh yes, one other point, about having a donor travel. We did that, too, on our first cycle, which was unsuccesful - we had a donor fly from NYC to the west coast. It was more complicated, more stress on the donor and us, and of course more expensive (about $5K more). The clinic cycle, by comparison, was nice, because both the clinic and the recipients had great access to prior cycle information. After enough false starts and a failed cycle (that was not supposed to happen to us! with a proven donor and POF as the reason for IF), it became more important to have an easy, more predictable cycle.

Good luck with it!

This message has been edited by Leeba on Apr 8, 2011 2:32 PM

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement